• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

Huh? There is no scientific evidence showing that a fleeting outdoor encounter poses a credible risk of transmission.

If you want to require vaccinations to enter buildings, so be it. But requiring a vaccination to ride an outdoor lift is absurd.
It doesn't matter what the real risk is. It's the perceived risk of the employees. If your kay employees don't feel safe and want to quit, you lose.

The other side of the coin applies too. Vaccine mandate can do the same, losing key employee due to them not wanting to get the shot.

I know the higher up in my company is trying to juggle that balance: losing people due to vaccine mandate vs losing people who don't want to be in the same room with anti-vaxxers.

At the moment, people who had vaccination have the momentum. So expect more "unreasonable" requirements to come along.

drjeff

It doesn't matter what the real risk is. It's the perceived risk of the employees. If your kay employees don't feel safe and want to quit, you lose.

The other side of the coin applies too. Vaccine mandate can do the same, losing key employee due to them not wanting to get the shot.

I know the higher up in my company is trying to juggle that balance: losing people due to vaccine mandate vs losing people who don't want to be in the same room with anti-vaxxers.

At the moment, people who had vaccination have the momentum. So expect more "unreasonable" requirements to come along.

I'm guessing that if one did an poll of ski resort employees, who would be required by their employers to wear a mask at work based on the likely soon to be released gov't via OSHA mandates or else face (the ski resort operator) fines from OSHA, that the majority of employees would elect not to wear a mask, especially while working outside, just like the customers will have the option to not wear a mask outside.

I am guessing with many companies, this is more about not wanting to face gov't agency fines more than it is about giving their employees the option to wear, or not wear a mask.

Same thing with the vaccination status, especially with younger, healthier employees

kbroderick

That certainly is a valid question and that policy doesn't make a lot of sense. That would be like saying EMTs or other first responders can't help an injured person in an auto accident if the injured person is not wearing a mask.
Unless things have changed since I was patrolling, most unresponsive patients are getting an oxygen mask installed pretty quickly, so perhaps that's not so much an issue.

Responsive but unmasked and combative patients would seem a different issue.

tnt1234

Agree with the media sensationalization part.

Unfortunately I feel that unless the sensationalism stops in the next few months, ahead of the major 2022 campaign/election cycle, if focus groups show that the Covid fear narrative still is working, then we've got another year plus of media fear pushing.

Now if by chance next week in both the gubernatorial races in NJ and VA the Republicans unseat the current Democrats in office, where amongst many things, their handling of all things COVID in their states is one of the many campaign issues, then that may help eliminate the constant media COVID fear angle since it will be a sign that it's value for pushing an agenda for their preferred candidates isn't nearly as effective as it used to be
It seems to me most of the fear at this point is 'fear of mandates!!' and 'Fear of vaccinations!' And 'fear of fear!' from the right.

On Cnn et al. I hear about the positive strides where're making especially in highly vaccinated areas, and how the numbers are going int he right direction.

In NJ kind of feels over mostly. Still wearing masks indoors a lot, but that's about it.

cdskier

This got lost in the last post of the last page, but RCR (fernie, kicking horse, more) are vax only for accessing chairlifts. That’s a major move.

And the Quebec Ski Areas Association just announced today that vaccines will be required for accessing ski lifts at resorts in Quebec as well.

Kingslug20

You crash..dislocate or break something..repsonsive..not combative but not wearing a mask...they...leave you there???

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Y'all are getting ridiculous with the ski patrol mask bit.... if you have minor injuries and have a mask with you, great, they'll probably ask you nicely to put it on or give you one. If you're unconscious and a mangled mess but not wearing a mask they won't just leave you there or not give you care....

1dog

looks like the NE is doing just fine. . . .

machski

Very Easy
Since 2019 CPR no longer involves rescue breathing. Just chest compressions.
For professional rescuers, 2 man CPR is done w/ an ambu bag
The ambu bag or on mountain, bet patrol's carry the pocket breathing mask with one way check valves. We have those on all our attended large cabin aircraft for CPR since it could be an extended event compared to being on the ground.

VTKilarney

Biden's agenda is now dead in the water. Way too many purple state Democrats are going to run for the hills. This is bad news for Biden, but the good news is that he will probably forget that it even happened by dinner time.

Virginia Republicans elected a black female Lieutenant Governor, a Cuban-American Attorney General, and replaced a Dem governor who wore an actual KKK outfit. Former Biden voters, working class people, and Latinos voted Republican in droves. A 75% Hispanic county in Texas flipped red. This clearly wasn't all about "racism" - despite what MSNBC may have you believe.

People are sick of the partisanship. McAuliffe could barely utter a sentence without invoking Trump - and disingenuously painted Youngkin as the spawn of Trump. Youngkin distanced himself from Trump and stressed that he wanted to reach out across the aisle and work collaboratively to get things done for the people of Virginia. Guess which message resonated with the voters...

2Planker

The ambu bag or on mountain, bet patrol's carry the pocket breathing mask with one way check valves. We have those on all our attended large cabin aircraft for CPR since it could be an extended event compared to being on the ground.
In the Covid Era NO ONE is doing 2 man rescue breathing anymore.
BVM w/ compressions and an AED is what you get.

The one way valve masks allow for airflow from rescuer's mouth/lungs into the Pt.
Simply put, No one wants/does that anymore, as chest compressions alone are proven to be as effective.

Plus, it's the AED that is going to save your life.
CPR just keeps you alive (barely) until the AED arrives.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Biden's agenda is now dead in the water. Way too many purple state Democrats are going to run for the hills. This is bad news for Biden, but the good news is that he will probably forget that it even happened by dinner time.

Virginia Republicans elected a black female Lieutenant Governor, a Cuban-American Attorney General, and replaced a Dem governor who wore an actual KKK outfit. Former Biden voters, working class people, and Latinos voted Republican in droves. A 75% Hispanic county in Texas flipped red. This clearly wasn't all about "racism" - despite what MSNBC may have you believe.

People are sick of the partisanship. McAuliffe could barely utter a sentence without invoking Trump - and disingenuously painted Youngkin as the spawn of Trump. Youngkin distanced himself from Trump and stressed that he wanted to reach out across the aisle and work collaboratively to get things done for the people of Virginia. Guess which message resonated with the voters...

‘Let’s Go Brandon’ chant a ‘complete indictment’ of the US media​

Status
Not open for further replies.