• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Cobbold

Pretty decent considering they got rain a couple of days ago. Two routes that merge 2/3 of the way down so got boring fast.
This weekend looks like a killer, last time I checked two days of rain, hard for me to get excited about skiing this time of year with limited terrain open, limited lifts running, but I did take 6 runs at mt snow last weekend, did get bored quick, probably won’t ski this weekend

drjeff

2Planker

3 more "Eastern" resorts coming into the Epic portfolio.

Let them buy all they want in PA.
We just hope they get the FU*K out of NH.
The sooner the better.

Late Opening at WC today. Short on both lifties, and patrollers
That is not a good sign, since you only have 1 lift and 4 trails to check.

God help them when it's 100% open

IceEidolon

That's not good for competition, but maybe Vail will put more effort into Laurel Mtn? Honestly how far can Vail go before they get smacked with anti trust legal action?

thetrailboss

Staff member

drjeff

Wow. Did anyone foresee this coming?
Honestly I am not shocked at all, as it seems like their acquisition strategy lately is all about small to medium sized areas in larger population areas, which will ultimately drive the sale of more Epic passes, which sure seems like the business plan,

Lets just hope at somepoint the reality that running smaller areas in more populated areas requires some different thought processes than larger Western destination resorts.

Wouldn't shock me at all if Vail goes after a few more small/mid sized areas in the Midwest at some point

jimmywilson69

no I didn't. 7 Springs is a better destination resort than any of the other offerings in PA. Big hotel, and lots of condos. Hidden Valley has lots of on mountain lording in the form of homes and condos. Laurel mountain is a 1 lift ski area that is inside a State park.

Lake effect snow on the ridge out there makes conditions awesome at times. the terrain is kinda meh otherwise. Trees are in play including some side/backcountry.

I learned to Ski at 7s. 1.5 hrs from Pittsburgh.

jimmywilson69

It would have been better for Pirate fans everywhere if Vail bought the Pirates, too.
no shit... that Nutting guy is bad news. hopefully he's going to divest the Pirates now too. I won't spend a dime in that stadium until he sells. and if that's not in my lifetime, then so be it.

PAabe

How does Vail possibly have cash to still be buying up resorts?
HV and LM are dinky but 7 Springs is a major major operation, hotel, conference center, spa, condos...
Vail now owns 6/7 resorts in Southern PA and 8/20 in PA.

Regarding antitrust, Nutting's 7S/HV/LM was the largest competitor to Vail in the Baltimore/DC/central PA market. This also neuters the Laurel Highlands pass, which cross honors with Wisp, Wintergreen, Ragged, Powderhorn, and Mt. Washington BC.

I am sure Vail wants nothing to do with Hidden Valley and Laurel Mountain and will neglect them even worse before. Or else they will ruin the whole Laurel Mountain schtick with fat groomers and changes to the lodge. LM is owned by the state of PA - maybe they will terminate their contract?

PAabe

New theory is maybe KSL/Alterra will buy Blue Knob to compete with Vail. As much as I hate to see the megacorps grow, Blue Knob more than anyone needs capital, and Vail needs competition.

Actually if anyone did buy Blue Knob, they could try to get the Laurel Mountain contract from the state if Vail isn't interested, and then they would have a pretty good combo pass for the Yinzer skiing. The current owners seem to cash strapped to try to operate an additional mountain.

Last edited: