• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

Keelhauled

Especially because the free pass is barely a benefit anymore since its so cheap.
When I worked for Vail a few years ago this was one of the points I made to the managers. They (and it's not just Vail to be fair) have this long list of perks that they'll use to make the job sound attractive, but if you spread it across the hours worked in a season the pass is worth less than $1/hr, and really what value is there in anything else? Like sure, you get 50% off in their retail and restaurants and whatever else, but when the sticker price is so high to begin with it's nothing you can take advantage of routinely because your take home pay is low enough it's still prohibitively expensive. I think everyone at the mountain realized it was a problem, but I got the impression that at the department level their hands were pretty much tied because the budget was set above them and their authority was limited to spending the money allotted for the season.

I suppose it's against the prevailing view here, but I really enjoyed working for the company on a daily basis, and I sometimes miss it still. I wish there had been a way to make it financially feasible long term.

PAabe

So if I were to work part time at a ski area on the weekend - looking at like 1.5hr commute at least. They no longer let you sleep in your car in the parking lot for an overnight. Where tf you supposed to sleep then. Can't get a motel on $15/hr.

I looked into this winter, I love working outside but it wouldn't make sense at all.

abc

you get 50% off in their retail and restaurants and whatever else, but when the sticker price is so high to begin with it's nothing you can take advantage of routinely because your take home pay is low enough it's still prohibitively expensive.
A good point.

During my short sting as an instructor, I brought my own lunch & drink with me. Because if I eat and drink at the cafeteria, I would be negative in income! The pay is so low, once the gas money is calculated, there isn't much "net income" left.

In my "real" job, I also occasionally bring my own lunch. But only if I have left over from dinner of the previous day. My pay is enough to afford lunch and still have enough left over to "take home".

That's the difference.

slatham

Last March I was talking with a valet at the Lodge at Spruce Peak. Former snowmaker... said he makes alot more with tips parking cars and schlepping bags & gear.

Hazard pay for the *people* he has to deal with at The Lodge at Spruce Peak"!!

Kingslug20

Looks like the only way to make some money is to work a job where you can get tipped. There was a post for an assistant chief engineer at the Spruce lodge..I considered it..then said..wait a minute..I'm retiring from this stuff. Wonder what it paid. The Chief was a chief petty officer in the navy..nuclear submarine engineering. Tough to work for I bet.

kendo

Great day on the slopes.

Weekend weather reduced what natural was there but everything open has great coverage. Really have to compliment the snowmaking crew. Nosedive has 110% wall to wall 'well packed powder' and it's deep. Skied great as did Centerline to North. Most slopes got skied off by noon but the sides were holding up well with left over powder.

They were blowing upper Perry all morning and looks close to opening depending on how the lower slopes are.

Gondolier and most of Liftline is looking like they need at least a week of snowmaking before they're ready to open for holiday crowds.

kendo

3 great days ripping super G runs on Nosedive, Centerline and the other nearly empty slopes. FourRunner was ski on daily. Everything open is groomed nightly and coverage is still deep. Wish they left Centerline ungroomed but at least it's open and in great shape.

Cooler temps today had the guns on Perry TTB and the pole mounted fans building base for the runout to the Gondola.

Expect Perry to open Friday or this weekend (if the runout fills in), for one run off the gondola to help disperse the holiday crowds.

Get there early!

Kingslug20

Just saw on FB Stowe is a bit of a mess today...huge traffic to get there..huge lines..

abc

Well, that's it for me then, till after the New Year.

I was thinking of going up this week, before the crowd came in. But looks like the crowd is already there. (or I'm the crowd ;) ).

Not to mention the storm only "right perform" which doesn't give me any significant increase of open terrain. The slopes are going to be pretty crowded then.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's Sunday.....

Just like every where else in New England, Stowe will be dead this Monday through Friday.

Kingslug20

Glad ill be skiing weekdays from now on..and only weekends when my wife wants to...

cdskier

Limited terrain + fresh snow + weekend...nothing at all surprising about this.

SnowRock

Did they have the Gondi open? If not, not a surprise that it would be a mess after getting some snow.

Pre-Christmas week is still usually pretty quiet up there. A bit more people usually post… but I’ve found Christmas and Christmas Eve and New Years always empty days on the hill.

raisingarizona

Looks like the only way to make some money is to work a job where you can get tipped. There was a post for an assistant chief engineer at the Spruce lodge..I considered it..then said..wait a minute..I'm retiring from this stuff. Wonder what it paid. The Chief was a chief petty officer in the navy..nuclear submarine engineering. Tough to work for I bet.
This has always been the case and the reason I’ve always said that the number one rule for ski bumming is to never work for the mountain.

I’ve had bellmen gigs where I’d average 800 to a grand a week with my pay, tips and banquet setting/clean up bonus fees. I also only had one day shift opening up six full days of skiing.

Bumpin chairs is for the one season wonders and the Ausies.

raisingarizona

So if I were to work part time at a ski area on the weekend - looking at like 1.5hr commute at least. They no longer let you sleep in your car in the parking lot for an overnight. Where tf you supposed to sleep then. Can't get a motel on $15/hr.

I looked into this winter, I love working outside but it wouldn't make sense at all.
#vanlife

kendo

Masks required on both Gondolas - as of today.

Made little sense that CV card and mask required to walk into wide open F&B areas, but no masks and full loading on 7+ min gondola rides.