• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Game on! And if it helps, one of my staff member's daughter in law got "trapped" in Aruba last week due to a positive Covid test prior to trying to fly back to the US.

Apparently she spent 5 extra days out on the balcony of her hotel room, over looking the Carribean, with the hotel staff bringing her meals and drinks whenever she wanted. Now if one has to "quarantine" that sounds like a decent scenario to quarantine in. Sunshine, ocean views and breezes and plenty of tropical drinks delivered to the door of your hotel room. And apparently when she coordinated with the hotel maids, if she was on her balcony, and closed the sliding door to her balcony, the maids would come in and do their usual towel/linen/bar re-stocking service as well!

No doubt

As a manically busy and committed dad of a 3 and 6 year old, 5 days of alone and quiet time on a balcony overlooking the ocean in Mexico sounds AMAZING.

What it comes down to is being uncomfortable being sequestered away from the family against my will.

skiur

Game on! And if it helps, one of my staff member's daughter in law got "trapped" in Aruba last week due to a positive Covid test prior to trying to fly back to the US.

Apparently she spent 5 extra days out on the balcony of her hotel room, over looking the Carribean, with the hotel staff bringing her meals and drinks whenever she wanted. Now if one has to "quarantine" that sounds like a decent scenario to quarantine in. Sunshine, ocean views and breezes and plenty of tropical drinks delivered to the door of your hotel room. And apparently when she coordinated with the hotel maids, if she was on her balcony, and closed the sliding door to her balcony, the maids would come in and do their usual towel/linen/bar re-stocking service as well!
Who paid for the extra 5 days?

drjeff

Who paid for the extra 5 days?
Out of her own pocket, but apparently the resort has a "Covid quarrantine rate" that was substantially less than the "regular rate" - given that there's apparebtly not too much travel demand down there right now, available room space for incoming guests I guess wasn't an issue

KustyTheKlown

Screenshot-20220114-090318.png

VTKilarney

The resort I am staying at in late February does not charge for a quarantine room if it is needed.

da-bum

Pretty much all it means is that *if* you get Covid in Cancun, you won't be locked up in your room having to have the staff bring you rounds of tropical drinks is how I interpret this. Nor will they keep you in Mexico.

Once back in the US, then you may need to self quarantine if positive for however many days the CDC feels like telling people they should at that moment in time 😉
The airline won't let you board and fly back to the US if you have a positive covid test. Then again, since it is the airline's responsibility to ensure the passenger is covid negative, I don't know if it is their highest priority. When I was travelling back thru the airport in Cancun, there was only one employee manning all the self service kiosk, validating that everyone has a negative covid test before he authorizes the kiosk so it allows us to check in. With so many people handle, he just asked us a couple of questions like vaccine and test, then allowed us to proceed. He probably thought that we are America's problem now.

Other countries, when I was entering, had government agencies check the results of the covid test, and I was pretty worried then, since they specifically looked at the time of the test (less than 72 hrs), and had to be 92% accurate. I was concerned whether Abbot's ID NOW rapid test being 87% accurate in clinical studies, but further clarification was that they needed PCR test, which again the test I took is similar but not exactly PCR, but even further clarification by the overseas US embassy was that they were looking for 'molecular' test, which is test for genetic material of the virus, which my test does do, and I was relieved.

eatskisleep

The airline won't let you board and fly back to the US if you have a positive covid test. Then again, since it is the airline's responsibility to ensure the passenger is covid negative, I don't know if it is their highest priority. When I was travelling back thru the airport in Cancun, there was only one employee manning all the self service kiosk, validating that everyone has a negative covid test before he authorizes the kiosk so it allows us to check in. With so many people handle, he just asked us a couple of questions like vaccine and test, then allowed us to proceed. He probably thought that we are America's problem now.

Other countries, when I was entering, had government agencies check the results of the covid test, and I was pretty worried then, since they specifically looked at the time of the test (less than 72 hrs), and had to be 92% accurate. I was concerned whether Abbot's ID NOW rapid test being 87% accurate in clinical studies, but further clarification was that they needed PCR test, which again the test I took is similar but not exactly PCR, but even further clarification by the overseas US embassy was that they were looking for 'molecular' test, which is test for genetic material of the virus, which my test does do, and I was relieved.
Such a pain, can’t wait for all this testing crap to be done

abc

I just don't bother with flying. Never mind going to another country. Not on my time and money anyway (my friend flies for work. Got stuck once. But his company pays both the expense and his time in quarantine).

Reactions: Edd

Edd

I just don't bother with flying. Never mind going to another country. Not on my time and money anyway (my friend flies for work. Got stuck once. But his company pays both the expense and his time in quarantine).
I’m now two years without flying, which hasn’t happened in the last couple of decades. I’ll probably go 3 before this is over. Getting determined to ski west next year.

eatskisleep

I’m now two years without flying, which hasn’t happened in the last couple of decades. I’ll probably go 3 before this is over. Getting determined to ski west next year.
Same, I flew back from Ireland the day Trump announced a travel ban from Europe. Stressful day. 2 weeks to flatten the curve everyone. I won’t travel to Europe till things get back to normal. Haven’t flown in the US either but would be more willing.

da-bum

I flew last year just when they opened up their country, with a very strict requirement of nobody leaving one's 'resort'. My trip had an even more strict requirement with having to be in a bubble as soon as we exit the airport, transported independently to a chartered boat, with no pre-sailing stay-over, tour or trips. We were eventually seabound for the whole week so I wasn't worried after we set sail.

Andrew B.

[IMG alt="KustyTheKlown"]https://forums.alpinezone.com/data/avatars/m/17/17364.jpg?1606446321[/IMG]

KustyTheKlown

Well-known member​

two people who joined our little northeastern ski forum solely to spew covid disinformation can drop dead for all i care.

assuming this was meant for me and to prove to DHS that I do read most content here I thought this belonged here.

if supposing why some people (not I as I am vaccinated 3x) might be vaccine hesitant is “misinformation” I guess I am guilty as charged.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do I have to lock this thread?

Take the battle to private messages guys. Really not interested in doing much refereeing in the threads. Everyone knows where you both are solidly planted on this subject

Status
Not open for further replies.