• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Guerilla" Ski Instruction

Andrew B.

True...but no one is asking for private instructors to actively "sell" their services AT the resorts. So your original comment is not an apples to apples comparison. What people are asking for is more like a street vendor selling food outside a theater that people then sneak into the theater.
Not really
It’s a private property thing and what your license (lift ticket) to use that property includes. Regardless of where you negotiate the deal, the services are rendered on private property.

Is enforcing it practical, NO
Would any resort want the publicity that comes with cracking down, NO

No one is enforcing this legally as mentioned earlier. To make a legal case stick would require a rather lengthy sting operation with wires and cameras. For what? To pull someone’s pass???? The people doing this don’t have big money to sue for, I assume they are all doing it as part of their “3 gigs for 1 bed” ski bum life. But make no mistake IT IS within the resorts rights to enforce it if they so desired.

Bond James Bond

Well, this is a big thing. Maybe some of us should be mouthing off about theft of our right of operating a private enterprise that has nothing to do with the services that any resort of any kind offers other than access to the slopes. Like I said, I never, never, never solicit at or anywhere near an area. People who know me spread the word a bit and pass me around. Bringing your own food to a restaurant or popcorn to a theatre is different. That's in direct conflict with the main product of those business. As I said before, why not harass people for bringing their own lunch? Their own nanny? Under their rules & from their perspective then, it must be a crime to rent skis from anyone but them because they offer that on site too! Because you purchase their main product, a lift ticket, aka, access, you are expected to forfeit all rights of personal association? Maybe resorts need to become clubs for members only who have to abide by club rules where it's more of a contract or agreement to abide by a constitution or other limitations. Purchasing a lift ticket at a ticket window is no such agreement as far as I know. If I make an arrangement of any kind with a friend, an associate, a cousin, a stranger........ how the hell do they get to claim proprietorship over my arrangement just because I am purchasing their one main product. We actually bring them business by selecting them as a destination to do business with as skiers. What's next? They going to harass people for not skiing using the specific method that they teach? These resorts are named ski resorts, not teaching camps. Popcorn would be bringing your own clients to a teaching camp, not a mountain you pay the fare to access.

Domeskier

Like I said, I never, never, never solicit at or anywhere near an area.

It doesn't matter where you solicit your customers. You are running a personal business using private property and assets that don't belong to you. End of story. I will go out on a limb and guess that you don't report the income to the IRS either.

abc

Is enforcing it practical, NO
Would any resort want the publ6icity that comes with cracking down, NO
Why is the publicity such a bad thing for the resort to worry about?

Could it have to do with letting the public know the huge gap between what the learners pay to the ski school vs the wages the ski school pay to the instructors?

I’d say as long as resorts don’t want the public to know how poorly paid their instructors are, “guerrilla instructors” have nothing to fear about crack down. :)

Andrew B.

Why is the publicity such a bad thing for the resort to worry about?

Could it have to do with letting the public know the huge gap between what the learners pay to the ski school vs the wages the ski school pay to the instructors?

I’d say as long as resorts don’t want the public to know how poorly paid their instructors are, “guerrilla instructors” have nothing to fear about crack down. :)
Pick your reason and that one is as good as any other.
I don’t think the Guerrilla’s have anything to worry about either.

abc

Pick your reason and that one is as good as any other.
I don’t think the Guerrilla’s have anything to worry about either.
Capitalism dictates arbitrage takes place where blatantly unfair pricing exist.

Of course when that unfair pricing is "protected by law", the arbitraging will take the form of Guerrillas operation.

The practice being unfair dictates enforcement of that unfair law will be lacking. For if it's widely enforced, the negative publicity will likely lead to the abolishment of the unfair practice entirely.

So the Guerrillas can operate without much worry.

Andrew B.

Of course when that unfair pricing is "protected by law", the arbitraging will take the form of Guerrillas operation.

The practice being unfair dictates enforcement of that unfair law will be lacking. For if it's widely enforced, the negative publicity will likely lead to the abolishment of the unfair practice entirely.

So the Guerrillas can operate without much worry
Capitalism and human nature are interchangeable in this case (imo).

But yes, we agree on the forces at play here and the likely outcome

Kingslug20

So the Guerrillas can operate without much worry.
Well said...

Hawk

We are still on this. LOL
I wonder who on here has not in some way, shape or form, committed theft of services. I freely admit I am guilty of it on a whole range of things over the years. Anything from bringing my own beers into the lodge to scamming my college pass for a few years to hiking up to upper lifts so I would not need a ticket. These are the things that younger folks do. Why because they can and it was needed to perpetuate your ski bum existence. I can't, with a clear conscience say I have an issue with any of it. I would be a hypocrite. I am older now and just pay my way whatever it is. But I still have that independant spirit that see's things like this and I think to myself, good for you. I have never really been a fan of the bigger corporations that fleese the masses.

2Planker

Every Ski Pro does it. If they say NO, they're lying.....

Resorts have to look the other way, or they'd loose 1/2 their instructors.
My BIL gets $1K/day for an "all day lesson" w/ 2-3 kids, who are pretty good skiers
He'll make $3-4K CA$H during school vac weeks.

Edd

Every Ski Pro does it. If they say NO, they're lying.....

Resorts have to look the other way, or they'd loose 1/2 their instructors.
My BIL gets $1K/day for an "all day lesson" w/ 2-3 kids, who are pretty good skiers
He'll make $3-4K CA$H during school vac weeks.
For private non-ski area affiliated lessons?

BenedictGomez

I wonder who on here has not in some way, shape or form, committed theft of services.

And you may not even know, depending on whose opinion you ask.

A few years ago I was brainstorming here how people get any skiing time in with young kids, and I said maybe a few times a year I was thinking I could buy a one-day & ski for a few hours while my wife was entertaining the little one in the lodge, and then I could come in and given her the ski ticket & let her do the same for a few hours. Most people here were cool with that idea & some said they did just that when they were new parents, but there were a few people here that got all uppity & self-righteous about it saying that I would be "stealing", which never even crossed my mind as the resort is actually getting money this way as opposed to not getting any money. But I was shocked how passionately angry a few people got at this very suggestion. Since then, I've noticed there's actually a cohort of ski resorts that expressly allow parents to do this.

Andrew B.

And you may not even know, depending on whose opinion you ask.

A few years ago I was brainstorming here how people get any skiing time in with young kids, and I said maybe a few times a year I was thinking I could buy a one-day & ski for a few hours while my wife was entertaining the little one in the lodge, and then I could come in and given her the ski ticket & let her do the same for a few hours. Most people here were cool with that idea & some said they did just that when they were new parents, but there were a few people here that got all uppity & self-righteous about it saying that I would be "stealing", which never even crossed my mind as the resort is actually getting money this way as opposed to not getting any money. But I was shocked how passionately angry a few people got at this very suggestion. Since then, I've noticed there's actually a cohort of ski resorts that expressly allow parents to do this.
Technically “Theft of service” according to the back of the ticket.
No way on earth that anyone in management would even think of bothering a mom or dad in that situation….. not at all……EVER.

djd66

I’m thinking with the face scan technology they have on the RFID gates - they may say somethIng?