• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The '21-'22 ski season was the busiest ever per the NSAA!

Newpylong

I don't believe it for a minute.

Prior to RFID ski areas were essentially guessing what their annual skier visits were. Yes some reasonable assumptions could be made, but they are still guesses and as the size of the ski area gets larger the margin for error also grows.

At least here in New England I still think things were busier in the ASC cheap pass days of the mid 90s. There also were more feeder hills at that time still operating. For comparison at WB they were hauling an estimated 30K annual visits per year in the 90s they'd be lucky to have 10K now.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Interestingly enough I talked to a person at Snowbird today who is on the board for Ski Utah. He said out here guest visits were still not at pre-covid levels.

Personally I'm getting nervous about inflation/recession for next season. Money I make from locals pay the bills, but it's the money from the tourists that buy the new skis, new boots, pay for spring ski vacations, etc.

p_levert

I believe that a record was set. It correlates with strong National Park attendance, campgrounds, etc.

Is this a long-term trend, assuming covid goes away? I'm not so sure about that. With young people addicted to their phones and all Americans getting fatter every year, I'm not so sure that the future is bright for skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Let's see what an economic slowdown and 5 dollar gas do next winter.

I'm curious to see what lake traffic is going to be like this summer. This was from today. I get about 2 mpg in my boat if I baby it

Attachments

• IMG_20220514_152314286_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220514_152314286_HDR.jpg
    914.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Sad
Reactions: Edd

thebigo

$200 is ridiculous.

My wife's rav4 is approaching replacement. Subaru Solterra appears a viable family ski car. May be worth its own thread but wondering if any ski family's have taken the electric plunge.

djd66

$200 is ridiculous.

My wife's rav4 is approaching replacement. Subaru Solterra appears a viable family ski car. May be worth its own thread but wondering if any ski family's have taken the electric plunge.
220 range Miles,… not enough for me

RH29

$200 is ridiculous.

My Dad has this idea that if it gets cold enough, an EV will just stop working. The temperature didn't climb out of the single digits during my entire trip to Jay Peak this winter, and there were plenty of teslas up there and full onsite superchargers to boot.

machski

My Dad has this idea that if it gets cold enough, an EV will just stop working. The temperature didn't climb out of the single digits during my entire trip to Jay Peak this winter, and there were plenty of teslas up there and full onsite superchargers to boot.
It may not stop working, but if you cannot plug in and use the preheater, range will suffer quite a bit. I have a friend in Atlanta who has a Tesla and some type of Hybrid BMW, he strongly encouraged me to go plug in Hybrid in the Northeast over pure electric. Even in Atlanta winters, he sees a significant range drip off in his Tesla if he cannot plug in pre drive

Andrew B.

220 range Miles,… not enough for me
Most quoted mileage on E-Vehicles is under “optimal” driving conditions.
No heat
No lights
No windshield wipers
No radio
No phone charging

My friend’s ID4 has a range over 200 but commuting 200 miles to ski country requires a stop of 20 minutes to do it comfortably.

When “practical” range increases to 250 I will consider one.

Edd

Our RAV4 hybrid drops to about 39/40 mpg in winter. In summer, its >48 mpg. The plug in infrastructure in New England ski country needs soooo much expansion, right now I figure hybrids will have to be part of the equation throughout the 2030s.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Our RAV4 hybrid drops to about 39/40 mpg in winter. In summer, its >48 mpg. The plug in infrastructure in New England ski country needs soooo much expansion, right now I figure hybrids will have to be part of the equation throughout the 2030s.

I hate the push to electrification. It's too fast. The infrastructure is not there and the technology is not there for companies to be making only all-electric vehicles in the next 5 years. The new electric Silverado is getting "up to 400 miles on a charge". The "fast charging" method for public stations is 10 minutes=100 miles. To me, that's not yet practical. And the reality is that range will be a LOT less doing 75mph on the highway, in winter, with 2 other people in the car. Car and Driver tested this with the EV running at 75mph and recorded the range and compared it to the EPA estimates-

for-connor-chart2-1648235245.jpg

Hydrogen....if it ever gets off the ground.... is the way to go. More environmentally friendly than EV's. Full range with a simple gas station fill-up like traditional ICE vehicles. I think that's going to be where the industry heads long-term and EV's are a stop-gap measure in between as we wait for hydrogen infrastructure to catch up. Both the Hyundai Nexo and Toyota Mirai are picking up steam and their sales numbers are growing exponentially but they're still small numbers at this point.