• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bubble lift opinions

boston_e

On the coldest of cold/windy days it’s nice to have the bubble down, or if it’s raining. But yeah I agree that on the majority of the days I’d prefer to not have the bubble down.

I don't really see the bubbles adding any challenge to lift unloading etc.

abc

When it’s -10 with -20 windchill in the middle of winter, the bubble is great!

When it’s 45 degree and sunny in the spring, the bubble (the kind that automatically closes) is a freaking sauna

SnowRock

Could take or leave them.. but I always thought that part of the value prop with bubbles is that they could actually be run in higher winds due to the bubble and weight?

FBGM

Fancy people that ski 3 times a year like to take IG pics for 17 followers on them. Very important to have bubble lifts

Smellytele

When it’s -10 with -20 windchill in the middle of winter, the bubble is great!

When it’s 45 degree and sunny in the spring, the bubble (the kind that automatically closes) is a freaking sauna
The ones with the heated seats are even hotter. Not a fan of the blue bubbles as they make me feel nauseous for some reason. Also the bucket seats the 8 has at loon feel constrictive. foot pegs aren't big enough either, seem boarders have the most issue with them.

ColdRain&Snow

Trying to figure out these days which ski/riding social media site has more curmudgeons complaining about the (needed to generate needed business) changes to the ski industry, AZ or Snow journal...

I considered joining snowjournal, but this place has more “pop” :)

djd66

I ski at sugarbush. The one place where it would definitely make sense is Slidebrook. After riding GH it’s a cold schlep over to north.

they are definitely everywhere in Europe and out west. I think every new chair lift at big sky is a bubble.

4aprice

The bubble at Camelback is overkill. Rode it yesterday but never shut the bubble itself. It also has those triangle footrests which I don't care for either. As far as the ride its fine and seems a little faster then the Sullivan Quad it replaced. One thing about the bubbles is there is really nothing to hold on to when it lurches to a stop. This was really true on Flyer at Copper where natives don't like to put down either the bubble or safety bar. Didn't bother me in the old days but now I would prefer to have something to grab on to

Zand

I feel like the Freezer at Jay would be a top candidate for a good bubble location.

I'm indifferent about them. Agreed I'd rather ride a bubble than a Gondola. Hate when people feel the need to pull them down on warm days. I like how in redundant areas, such as Mt Snow or Snowdon where there's parallel lifts next to the bubble, the exposed chair never has a line.

PAabe

Reasons gondolas are nice sometimes:
-Talk to other people in your gondola face to face rather than trying to yell at the guy at the other end of the quad or missing out on half the conversation. "What did you say" "What's so funny."
-look around at the mountains more easily and sit backwards.
-mess around with your phone or gear without dropping it
-good chance to dry out and warm up if it's raining or cold.
-People wait for the gondola rather than the chair next to it

Reasons gondolas are smelly
- ^^^ /Mountain air not blowing in your hair
-Knuckleheads scraping up the windows with their gear so you can't see
-Getting wet snow frozen to the bottom of your boots walking on and off sucks
-Skiers and lift attendants incapable of loading gondolas to capacity when its crowded/dipping and taking a whole cabin for themselves because they are too cool to ride with you

Last edited:

NYDB

they are definitely everywhere in Europe and out west. I think every new chair lift at big sky is a bubble.
the powderseeker chair at big sky is the stupidest bubble lift I've been on to date.

1. the lift ride is only 3 minutes long
2. if you are in the bowl there, you want to see the landscape on the way up. it's an awesome spot.

I'll repeat some of what's been said already in this thread - if it's above 20 degrees and not raining leave it up please! I want to see what's going on and enjoy a little cold.

also I feel like the bubble lifts are ruining the art of heckling a good yardsale or crash n burn under the lift.

And finally- get off my lawn!

Last edited:

hardscrabble

I ski at sugarbush. The one place where it would definitely make sense is Slidebrook. After riding GH it’s a cold schlep over to north.

I think that Slidebrook is the one place where a lower-capacity 4 or 6-person gondola would've made sense. Bubbles still don't cover your feet.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I thought they were really dumb right up until I rode one. They r pretty nice but come on this is skiing. Probably the best thing about them is there’s usually a less luxurious lift near by with zero line, the lift I’m riding.
Agree. Last year on a day I rode Mt Snow, the bubble was packed, but no line whatsoever at the Grand Summit (no bubble). So I rode that all day. Brought me to the same spot at the summit and the same ride time. And it was a day in the 20s-30s with light wind.

IceEidolon

I feel like it's either "we wanted more bling/luxury than a detach" or "we wanted a gondola lite" or both.

I don't think they're appropriate everywhere, but on lifts with a lot of beginners, long and windy alignments, and areas where the skier flow benefits from not having to clip in/clip out, they can make sense if you have the scratch. A lot of places might be better served by putting the $several million price difference into snowmaking or additional trails or just generally maintenance and upgrades, but that's neither here nor there.

machski

So far I like the ones I've ridden. Yeah, sucks you can't sit on your poles but the seat comfort makes up for that inconvenience. And if you ski midweek, you can usually just place them beside you instead. The D-Line chairs are nice as the bar locks when lowered and doesn't unlock until the top when it raises automatically. If the bubble is down, it lifts first (the bubble doesn't lock nor does it automatically come down so it can be raised if desired after one closes it).

djd66

the powderseeker chair at big sky is the stupidest bubble lift I've been on to date

I was at Big Sky last year,... it was -10 and blowing 20-30 MPH. Call me a pussy, but I very much enjoyed the bubble.