• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

AdironRider

Bullshit.

Fact.

Go work 7 straight overnight 12 hour shifts in the freezing cold blowing snow and get back to me with how many ski days you get during that timeframe.

It is the dirty little secret of the ski industry. They don't ski nearly as much as you think (even instructors).

urungus

SteezyRob

Saw this on Hunter's FB page this morning........... It had to do with Hunter taking down pictures of the "Thin Blue Line" flags at the NYPD races held there the other day. Not sure if it is true or not, but looks legit.

View attachment 56067
don't those antiracists ever get tired of the same copy paste response to their complaints? when are they gonna give up. also can't they grow a pair of balls sheesh

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Every snowmaker I've ever known doesn't ski. They are typically summer job holders (LOTS of landscapers) that do it because the money (notably for the overtime) is pretty good and ultimately you still get lots of downtime when the weather isn't conducive.
Crotched Mountain, as well as Cannon, allow snowmakers to Ski or ride on their trips down the mountain.

I have noticed that more of Crotched Mountain's snowmakers are active skiers or riders and the fact that Crotched has night skiing 5-days a week gives them plenty of time to both do their jobs and ski.

KustyTheKlown

Chatted Monday about the excellent gun powder on steins with a snowmaker who was as stoked to ski it as I was. But I agree lots of these guys prob do not ski. Midnight mercenary workers

thebigo

There is a coach in our club that works landscaping in the summer and used to make snow. Dude rips. Became a coach because "making snow sucks".

thetrailboss

Staff member
So in reading this thread and in personally dealing with the impacts of both Vail and Alterra, I can honestly say that I am now at a point in my life where I love skiing and hate the ski business. That is quite a change from 10, even 20 years ago for me. The old AZ with Greg (remember him?) was very much about being diplomatic with the industry so we could give folks access. But what I am seeing thoroughly disgusts me. I never thought I would get here. :ROFLMAO:

We drove up to Brighton yesterday to go night riding and there were cars EVERYWHERE. I've never seen cars parking where they were. I am sick of the drunken out-of-control orgy that BCC has become thanks to IKON. Traffic leaving was bumper-to-bumper for five miles from Solitude down. I talked with the Brighton Rental supervisor about the batshit craziness. He said Boyne is inclined to dump IKON because they just do not make enough money. But, as ss20 said, Alterra right now wants to keep as many partners in the pass because it is good for business. As I said, Alterra is wallpapering their offices with cash....

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Go work 7 straight overnight 12 hour shifts in the freezing cold blowing snow and get back to me with how many ski days you get during that timeframe.

It is the dirty little secret of the ski industry. They don't ski nearly as much as you think (even instructors).
My #1 ski bumming rule has always been to never work for a ski resort. If you want to actually ski, like really REALLY ski none of those jobs are great for that. You might be in your boots as a patroller or am instructor but it's still work and free skiing it ain't. I also find it hard to want to go to your place of work on your days off. Especially if when you get there on your day off with an intent to ski your forced to suit up because they're short staffed. I've seen that.

2Planker

My #1 ski bumming rule has always been to never work for a ski resort. If you want to actually ski, like really REALLY ski none of those jobs are great for that. You might be in your boots as a patroller or am instructor but it's still work and free skiing it ain't. I also find it hard to want to go to your place of work on your days off. Especially if when you get there on your day off with an intent to ski your forced to suit up because they're short staffed. I've seen that.
As a Patroller it worked out to being “paid” something like $3/hour.
$600 Season Pass divided by 20 days required each year = $30/day for 7am - 5pm in ski boots.
Not to mention all the training and recertification required every year...

YES To having had to suit up on a day off.
Usually carry a radio while free skiing, just in case...

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member

Agreed

Two of the worst ski seasons with the fewest days on snow were years I worked in F&B management.

Kingslug20

Lcc..bcc nightmares make me very sad...spent 25 years skiing there...
Now I find PC much easier to deal with...

Smellytele

White supremacist symbols have no place at a ski resort, or anywhere else
Why are you a stupid asshole who think things related to police are white supremacist? Moron! Just because a white supremacist group used it doesn't mean that it is a white supremacist symbol. If you read the article it says that is not what it represents. White supremacist are idiots as well and I am offended by them as well.

"We reject, in the strongest possible terms, any association of our flag with racism, hatred, and bigotry," said Thin Blue Line USA in a statement. "To use it in such a way tarnishes what it and our nation believe in. The thin blue line flag stands for the sacrifice law enforcement officers of this nation make each day. We ask our nation to hold faith with those that defend the thin blue line."

KustyTheKlown

Maybe it’s because police are a disproportionately white supremacist group and the “thin blue line” also refers to their code of silence and not breaking ranks when one of them is accused of any sort of corruption or misdeed?

Your quoted text is the same bullshit lip service being criticized by others in reference to taking the flag down. Just from the other side.

abc

Instead of taking the flags out, they should just plant next them rainbow flags. ;)

Friend of mine put rainbow flag on their yard (they’re NOT gay), next to the Star and Stripe. I ask why the explicit support of LGBT, answer was “the national flag had been so often hijacked by white supremacist group. We want to show our patriotism but not be mistaken as supporter of white supremacist!”

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why are you a stupid asshole who think things related to police are white supremacist? Moron! Just because a white supremacist group used it doesn't mean that it is a white supremacist symbol. If you read the article it says that is not what it represents. White supremacist are idiots as well and I am offended by them as well.

"We reject, in the strongest possible terms, any association of our flag with racism, hatred, and bigotry," said Thin Blue Line USA in a statement. "To use it in such a way tarnishes what it and our nation believe in. The thin blue line flag stands for the sacrifice law enforcement officers of this nation make each day. We ask our nation to hold faith with those that defend the thin blue line."

Maybe it’s because police are a disproportionately white supremacist group and the “thin blue line” also refers to their code of silence and not breaking ranks when one of them is accused of any sort of corruption or misdeed?

Your quoted text is the same bullshit lip service being criticized by others in reference to taking the flag down. Just from the other side.

Instead of taking the flags out, they should just plant next them rainbow flags. ;)

Friend of mine put rainbow flag on their yard (they’re NOT gay), next to the Star and Stripe. I ask why the explicit support of LGBT, answer was “the national flag had been so often hijacked by white supremacist group. We want to show our patriotism but not be mistaken as supporter of white supremacist!”
WTF does any of this have to do with Vail? Nothing.

Vail sucks. Discuss.

abc

WTF does any of this have to do with Vail? Nothing.

Vail sucks. Discuss

Saw this on Hunter's FB page this morning........... It had to do with Hunter taking down pictures of the "Thin Blue Line" flags at the NYPD races held there the other day. Not sure if it is true or not, but looks legit.

View attachment 56067

Does that has anything to do with skiing?

If it does, can’t it be discussed?

If not, should THAT be posted at all?

You’re going after the symptom rather than the cause.