• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
seriously = would you go climb an icy tower for s$$$ wages in the variable weather, definitely cold and wet.... so I could ski earlier??? I love to ski and have 40 days in so far, but I understand the life of a ski mountain employee and I would not do lift mantenace or snow makeing myself. It is way to dangerous and not worth the risk for s$$$ wages and my life

Very fair POV

But it wasn't always this way. And not all mountains still struggle with the tough operational stuff. Some still deliver and they typically aren't the big money corporately owned places.

thebigo

Forced to ski sunapee today, ending a two year vail boycot.

Was not terrible.

One question for the big pass crowd. Why do you people congregate at the top?

Attachments

• 20230120_115129.jpg
    20230120_115129.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

catskillman

agree - at Hunter this year the website/app have never been correct from day 1, I gave up for the most part. I hear it daily on the lift how it is so wrong....They have had gun hill open and groomed on days, yet the run has not been open all season. and it goes on and on....Not to mention the trails that hae been open that were so dangerous........WHY?????

doublediamond

There’s areas that run their lifts at slow sped when they are making snow under them. That way there’s not a gun pointing at one chair coating it with feet of rime all night. You don’t need an operators sitting there all night to do so.

There’s also areas that have the snowmaking crew turn them on, ride them up, and shut them off when they get to the top.

When you have a detachable with parking rails, there’s no excuse to not take the chairs off line and run the rope all night so it doesn’t ice solid. The icing issues on detaches vs fixed grip lifts are due to the grips. That’s the whole purpose for installing the parking rails rather than just an emergency set off rail.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
1dog, please try and keep your participation in these discussions skiing focus. A very high percentage of your posts are about crowbarring in your political views.

We let some politics slide if it has some relation to skiing, but these comments you are making here have nothing to do with the sport.
Apologies for my part.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No problem with you political posts since your political views are the same as deadhead.

Actually that's not it at all. It's about frequency. I'm not concerned about Harveys post because he rarely if ever makes political posts.

We let a ton of political posts slide no matter the point of view if they are infrequent from a particular member of the forum. It's when it becomes repetitive and a member appears to only be "here" to discuss politics when the purpose of the forum is about skiing and other outdoor pursuits that it becomes problematic. Those posts / members tend to get reported with the expectation that the moderator team addresses the issue.

Thankfully that's pretty rare these days. Hasn't really been a problem since we got past the height of Covid.

AdironRider

Every snowmaker I've ever known doesn't ski. They are typically summer job holders (LOTS of landscapers) that do it because the money (notably for the overtime) is pretty good and ultimately you still get lots of downtime when the weather isn't conducive.

Bosco DaSkia

Every snowmaker I've ever known doesn't ski. They are typically summer job holders (LOTS of landscapers) that do it because the money (notably for the overtime) is pretty good and ultimately you still get lots of downtime when the weather isn't conducive.
Bullshit.

Fact.