• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

pinion

On the bright side, Wildcat posted they’re 100% open, which is nice to see. I’m wondering if that’s even happened during the last two seasons.
It happened last year for a day or two. And the year prior for a week.

I hit Hairball today around 2p. They are really stretching “open”, even by Wildcat standards 🤣

Lots were full by 10:30. I showed up at 1:30 and moguls were great but the quad still had a line back to the bridge and anything groomed was a skating rink.

Attachments

• 8E15163C-7BA9-431C-A5A3-DF210CC71606.jpeg
    8E15163C-7BA9-431C-A5A3-DF210CC71606.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 28

drjeff

Cold weather is coming this weekend in the Northeast, let's see how much snowmaking they produce.

Might be the types of temps and wind where the margin for error (both in terms of crew safety as well as machinery operations safety) is too great for them to get crews on the hill say Friday night and Saturday day when it seems like the cold will be at it's worst, plus it wouldn't shock me at all if some of thr power companies ask major users, such as ski areas, to throttle back their electricity use during the height of this short lived cold snap due to the increased demand that the power grid will have on it with all the folks using electricity based heating sources using them.

Kingslug20

The cold is apparently leaving the west and heading to you...below zero temps here since yesterday...30 below zero in Logan utah...shut the town down. This weekend will be in the 30s..while the east freezes.
Weird winter..hope you get snow..
No more snow for here fir a while..

jaytrem

Got an email from Vail yesterday trying to convince me to turn on auto-renew. They don't give you any type of bonus if you do, so 100% not interested. Not sure why anybody would turn it on when you don't even know what the cost of the pass will be.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Got an email from Vail yesterday trying to convince me to turn on auto-renew. They don't give you any type of bonus if you do, so 100% not interested. Not sure why anybody would turn it on when you don't even know what the cost of the pass will be.

Definitely don't do it. It was a major hassle to get it turned off.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Vail wants it to become another annoying membership that you forget about.

ThatGuy

Turn on auto-renew!!!
We’ll give you zero benefits for this commitment and if you change your mind good luck getting that credit card off the account!!!
309249DA-3247-45A0-9BCE-8D03EC452D1D.jpeg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Turn on auto-renew!!!
We’ll give you zero benefits for this commitment and if you change your mind good luck getting that credit card off the account!!!
View attachment 56278
More like.....

"You think that you have a choice? Welcome to the Hotel California, bitch. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!"

pixel.gif
Rob-Katz-Vail-Resort-Winter-18.jpg

(And note to self: tell that ski patroller chick to WIPE THAT SHIT-EATING SMIRK OFF HER FACE!)

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
She missed the mean mugging stormtroopers memo for that group pic.
I thought that was hilarious. Everyone else is so damn serious. Katz has a slight grin. And she has this smirk. Probably thinking, "I can't believe I am doing this."

jaytrem

Definitely don't do it. It was a major hassle to get it turned off.
Yeah, I remember you posting about that. They would have to make a pretty good offer if they want me to auto renew. They're always talking about not missing out on buddy tickets. Like I would really want to deal with the hassle of getting somebody else a ticket??? My sister had to wait on line for almost an hour to get her step-daughter a buddy ticket at MS on that powdery Friday a couple weeks ago.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Might be the types of temps and wind where the margin for error (both in terms of crew safety as well as machinery operations safety) is too great for them to get crews on the hill say Friday night and Saturday day when it seems like the cold will be at it's worst, plus it wouldn't shock me at all if some of thr power companies ask major users, such as ski areas, to throttle back their electricity use during the height of this short lived cold snap due to the increased demand that the power grid will have on it with all the folks using electricity based heating sources using them.
SSSUUURRREEE..........Sounds like some BS to me, to cold and windy 🤣.

2Planker

SSSUUURRREEE..........Sounds like some BS to me, to cold and windy 🤣.
....... plus it wouldn't shock me at all if some of thr power companies ask major users, such as ski areas, to throttle back their electricity use.....
Ha, Not a chance.
Remember the big Ice Storm of 1997. Bethel lost power for 8-10 days BUT Sunday River was up and running, fully operational in 2 days.
CMP caught a ration of shit but had to defend it biggest customer.

Dickc

More like.....

"You think that you have a choice? Welcome to the Hotel California, bitch. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!"

pixel.gif
View attachment 56281

(And note to self: tell that ski patroller chick to WIPE THAT SHIT-EATING SMIRK OFF HER FACE!)
I keep thinking someone should Photoshop storm trooper garb on all the people in that picture with a Darth Vader uniform on Rob Katz.

SLyardsale

I rec'd the same email - mine encouraged me to "keep the good times rolling"

I'm off this week so have been on with the full vail "experience of a lifetime " I hardly ever contribute to vail F&B but wanted to grab a beverage at 3:30 on monday... currently, you can't get an apres beer at the main base of Mt Snow because Cuzzins is closed thru Thurs for exhaust duct cleaning .. for 3 days - and they couldn't be bothered to open Canned or Tap Room in it's place.... but I was told you could by a beer at the marketplace cafeteria and drink it in the lodge. At Bullwheel today, all draft beer was out by noon - because of the busy weekend - it is now Tuesday - and nothing but salads and charcuterie to eat at Bullwheel, just 2 vail employees there taking abuse from skiers for offering nothing - I didn't partake in that ... and... if you're into Carinthia - it's just gulch with features. Nitro, Fools Gold, Prospector, Farm all closed for rebuilds. Several employees say hours have been cut this week in F & B. Snow making is on and the rebuild at Carinthia is big - but no food or beverage to be had? Mt Snow had been pretty normal in the operations end until now.

icecoast1

Ha, Not a chance.
Remember the big Ice Storm of 1997. Bethel lost power for 8-10 days BUT Sunday River was up and running, fully operational in 2 days.
CMP caught a ration of shit but had to defend it biggest customer.
Happens all the time actually during times of high demand for electricity. Unfortunately for us, it happens quite a bit on colder nights that would be great for making snow