• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

Kingslug20

Drove by this thing all week..not a lot going on there..some trucks and cranes.
Stayed for a few days in the new development in Heber city...nice houses in the middle of no where.
They though it was 3 miles to PC...um..no..about 30 minutes...
Oh....
But whatever...5 powder days out of 11...I'm good..

FBGM

Wasatch county gives zero fucks. Build away.

I not buying into anything with Mayflower. Progress is crazy slow. By the time it’s complete there won’t be snow left and they will just file chapt11 and there will be another huge scar left on the mountains.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wasatch county gives zero fucks. Build away.

I not buying into anything with Mayflower. Progress is crazy slow. By the time it’s complete there won’t be snow left and they will just file chapt11 and there will be another huge scar left on the mountains.

Didn't want to comment on this resort til I actually had some time out here, but I agree. Crazy low elevation, 6,400 base. SLC is at about 4,250. Snowbird is 7,700. Park City is 6,900 and they have a hard time in bad years. It's a top 10 out of 100 winters in Utah and there's probably 6" of snow at the Mayflower base. In a normal year they'll struggle with a Dec 1-April 1 season. Something like last year... forgetaboutit. Any storm rolling off the CA coast would be rain down there.

FBGM

Didn't want to comment on this resort til I actually had some time out here, but I agree. Crazy low elevation, 6,400 base. SLC is at about 4,250. Snowbird is 7,700. Park City is 6,900 and they have a hard time in bad years. It's a top 10 out of 100 winters in Utah and there's probably 6" of snow at the Mayflower base. In a normal year they'll struggle with a Dec 1-April 1 season. Something like last year... forgetaboutit. Any storm rolling off the CA coast would be rain down there.
It also faces south/south west. Grass should grow great for the Tiger course. If they find water for it.

This project has been going on and started way before Wasatch Peaks. Wasatch Peaks opened this year…this place is still a pile of dirt

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was a boondoggle to begin with. Basically the project sits in a fictional municipal entity that is not subject to county regulations or taxes and was magically created by the Legislature. The project backers claim that this is meant to be a benefit for "military families" but really a few private developers are the real beneficiaries. The developers have to throw the "military families" a pretty pathetic bone in order to justify the project and pretend that this was the main purpose of the development. But it is not at all--offering folks a "discounted" hotel room for, at most, one week a year, is pretty pathetic. And again, the military folks have to PAY for the use of this wonderful resort that was "meant" to be for them.

And the project is being "forced" into that area. Nobody else was going to develop it otherwise. Huge red flag.

Ski trails and lift lines are cut. Looks decent, but nothing overly exciting.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
It also faces south/south west. Grass should grow great for the Tiger course. If they find water for it.

This project has been going on and started way before Wasatch Peaks. Wasatch Peaks opened this year…this place is still a pile of dirt
Speaking of Wasatch Peaks.....

FBGM

Speaking of Wasatch Peaks.....

It’s vague for sure. I’m not even sure who’s doing all the construction now. I knew the guy/company in there 2 summers ago. Not sure if he’s still doing it.

They have posted some job openings here and there over the past year or two. But I think they have recruited and fished for their core positions somewhat privately. Can go on LinkedIn and kinda see some people and pieces.

No idea if homes and sites have started. Or golf course?

SteezyRob

It was a boondoggle to begin with. Basically the project sits in a fictional municipal entity that is not subject to county regulations or taxes and was magically created by the Legislature. The project backers claim that this is meant to be a benefit for "military families" but really a few private developers are the real beneficiaries. The developers have to throw the "military families" a pretty pathetic bone in order to justify the project and pretend that this was the main purpose of the development. But it is not at all--offering folks a "discounted" hotel room for, at most, one week a year, is pretty pathetic. And again, the military folks have to PAY for the use of this wonderful resort that was "meant" to be for them.

And the project is being "forced" into that area. Nobody else was going to develop it otherwise. Huge red flag.

Ski trails and lift lines are cut. Looks decent, but nothing overly exciting.
Any pics (yours or not?)

jimk

Drove by this thing all week..not a lot going on there..some trucks and cranes.
Stayed for a few days in the new development in Heber city...nice houses in the middle of no where.
They though it was 3 miles to PC...um..no..about 30 minutes...
Oh....
But whatever...5 powder days out of 11...I'm good..
I drove by it Feb 2, didn't see much progress either. I doubt I'd ever ski it unless it becomes part of DV and Ikon and even then I'd have to look hard?

Was over that way to see the Ice Castles near Midway, UT:
ice queen crop.jpg