• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Technique goals for 2007-08

Greg

Staff member
This season's version of this thread. My goals last year:

My technique goal for this season boils down to simply improving in the bumps. Mastering moguls can translate into better skiing all over the mountain. Specific aspects of bump skiing which I want to focus on this season include: better hand position/quiet upper body, tighter stance, more complete absorbtion/extension (I'm a stiff skier and tend to slam into moguls a bit).

I was pretty happy with my progress last season so I plan to simply build on all of this.

Grassi21

I need to work on keeping my upper body pointed down the fall line. My hands are much better but they get lazy at times. And the rotation of my upper body isn't helping me keep my hands forward either. Besides those points, all around bump technique will be big for me this year.

Greg

Staff member
I need to work on keeping my upper body pointed down the fall line.

I've seen you improve on this quite a bit this year, but you do sort of steer your turns with your upper body still. You need to get that upper/lower body separation down. Anything but small bumps will be tough until you do. Work on pole plants at the same time; for me a square upper body and pole plants came around the same time.

Grassi21

I've seen you improve on this quite a bit this year, but you do sort of steer your turns with your upper body still. You need to get that upper/lower body separation down. Anything but small bumps will be tough until you do. Work on pole plants at the same time; for me a square upper body and pole plants came around the same time.

I am OK with the pole plants at moderate speed. As I pick up speed or get on a steep slope I start to steer with the upper body and the pole plants go out the window. I'm so looking forward to logging some mileage this year.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Bumps. Bumps. Bumps. Bumps. Perfection is my goal. Although perfection is unattainable, working toward it can only make me better. This year I need to work on hands a little more, and fine tuning timing, among continuous never-ending practice of things like shin pressure, square/quiet upper body, etc. What I really need to do is spend more time practicing on the groomers. But it is truly torture for me!

I'd like to be competing on a pretty big scale within 4 years, so we'll see what the next few seasons bring.

trtaylor

Bumps. Bumps. Bumps. Bumps. Perfection is my goal. Although perfection is unattainable, working toward it can only make me better. This year I need to work on hands a little more, and fine tuning timing, among continuous never-ending practice of things like shin pressure, square/quiet upper body, etc. What I really need to do is spend more time practicing on the groomers. But it is truly torture for me!

I'd like to be competing on a pretty big scale within 4 years, so we'll see what the next few seasons bring.

And we'll all be able to say we knew you when! :spread:

Rushski

Get more accustomed to my RX8s. They feel great, just not skiing them to their potential in my first two times on them.

Also my diet needs an extra serving or two of bumps and/or trees for each serving.

snoseek

is mary jane part of your plan?

i meant the ski area

Rushski

Absolutely. After I graduate from CMC, I'm hoping to spend a year or two grooming at Winter Park at night so I can train all day at MJ.

I was very close to going to CMC - Steamboat MANY years ago, but a ruptured appendix took away the little money I had. Regret not going to this day...

rob56789

I definitly want to work on skiing moguls this year i have never really tried to but this year i definitly plan on skiing them at least a few times everytime i go out. The way you guys talk about them maybe i will get hooked and ski them more often than that.

Kerovick

Get comfortable skiing powder (I'm from MD, we NEVER have powder days)

MRGisevil

I need to improve overall. I haven't been skiing that long, and really only started to worry about technique over the last couple of seasons; there is loads of room for improvement. I tend to let my outside leg drag on quick turns, I want to learn how to control myself better at fast speeds, and I really want to work on my mogul technique- or lack thereof. Hopefully, it will be a year of training/ enlightenment for me, so that the '08-'09 season is even more productive.

smootharc

Air....

...between my ski bottoms and the snow. Not so much hucking....but controlled use of air, big and small, as it relates to flowing down a particular trail.

Example....Paradise at Sugarbush....about 1/2 way down there's an Austin Mini sized rocky outcropping jutting out of the trail. Most folks circumnavigate, a few roll over and turn down the backside, and the gnarly folks just hit it, land 10, 15 (or 20) feet down the trail and keep right on keepin' on. That kind of air.

Greg

Staff member
I definitly want to work on skiing moguls this year i have never really tried to but this year i definitly plan on skiing them at least a few times everytime i go out. The way you guys talk about them maybe i will get hooked and ski them more often than that.

IMHO, bumps take a certain level of dedication. It's pretty tough to get them by hitting the mogul field a few times each outing. Mileage is truly the key, and honestly some acceptance of pain in the early goings. Once a few key elements "click", you'll be hooked and you'll be searching out the bumps more often than not. But initially you may need to "force" yourself to hit the bumps over and over as they can indeed be frustrating early on, but once you get the basics, there's no turning back. I am very lucky to have a good bump run very close to home as a midweek night skiing option. It's like practice for the day trips at the bigger hills.

wa-loaf

Running GS gates. I can lay down a nice carve, but put gates in front of me and it's a whole nother world. I just started racing last year, so hopefuly there will be some improvement this year. I need to hit one of the early morning race clinics at Wa.

hammer

Get my inside ski to track better, improve my short turns, and become acquainted with bumps.

Hopefully now that I have a season pass I'll be able to get in some decent mileage...