• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Out West trip; your favorites? Need advice.

atvkilla

I apologize if this has been covered a thousand times on this forum, but I don't have the energy to search...

So my brother-in-laws and myself, along with a couple other friends do our yearly pilgrimage to a new mountain every winter. We all have families so it's not easy to just willy nilly get up and go, but we have managed to plan our trips for the last 8 or 9 seasons and we are at the point where we are wanting to go out west before we're too old and just never do it.

I'm trying to collect info/tips/recommendations since they put me in charge of choosing a mountain. Rueler has given me some good advice along with some others who are in the know, but wanted to see what you recommend and why.

Things we're looking for:
- Easy to get to from the airport (maybe even no rent-a-car dare I ask?)
- Good and reliable snow conditions,
- Challenging and fun, but not deadly terrain (we have 3 riders, 2 skiers, all advanced but not expert abilities)
- Mountains with good ski-and-stay packages or good lodging options closeby.
- Yes, cheap...relatively speaking, for flying, skiing and staying. :???:

Of course Snowbird and other cottonwoods resorts come to mind as well as lake Tahoe area.

Thoughts?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tahoe is NOT the place to be. Not this season....some snow lately, but they are way down and it is a ways from an airport.

Consider the Park City resorts if you don't have a car....more to do and no need for a car....

And yes, Alta and Snowbird are getting the goods now. Snowbird was off the hook today, but there are less things to do there and honestly the on-mountain restaurants are just OK.

Last edited:

snoseek

I would steer clear from Tahoe. Awesome week of skiing but the base is WAY down. The future is not certain.

I would go to Utah or Summit County or even Jackson

LonghornSkier

I was in Jackson from the 19th to the 23rd and the conditions were absolutely epic... They have a really good base compared to a lot of other places and there is plenty to ski there for 5 days. If you were going longer, you could throw in a day at Targhee or even Snow King.

abc

Second Jackson Hole.

No need for rental car, Good terrain for advanced skiers.

The "cheap" part might take a bit of digging. But it can be found.

Another one is Steamboat. Also no need for rental car. Good snow lately (for this year), or usually (next year).

atvkilla

Nice, thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming.

What are the liquor laws like in Utah? We like to have a few apres skiis beers too, if you know what I mean.:beer: Is it Bud Light and wine spritzers only?

snoseek

What are the liquor laws like in Utah? We like to have a few apres skiis beers too, if you know what I mean.:beer: Is it Bud Light and wine spritzers only?

I've never had an issue getting hammered in Utah...then again when I'm there getting drunk is usually very low on my priority list.

jlboyell

I think big sky offers a shuttle from airport to resort, plenty of terrain for everybody, plus close to west yellowstone, snowmobiles and tours through the park

thetrailboss

Staff member
You can drink in Utah, but the beer is a lower concentration.

Jackson Hole is another good suggestion.

Robbski

Based on your criteria (cheap, easy to get to, good snow) It has to be Utah. And even though it's not my favorite ski destination in Utah I'd say Park City (because of the no rental car thing). Snowbird/Alta or the BCC resorts are kind of removed from things. If night life is a factor you may be kind of limited there. If you stay in Sandy you could commute up the either canyon but it would be a PITA without a rental. And it ain't lik ethe nightlife is any to special in Sany or the surroundings either.

In Park City ou'll have three top notch resorts to choose from and they are all within a half hour of a major airport (that has non-stop service from Boston, NY, DC), no other destination can offer that kind of access. Build your trip out properly and you can ski on your arrival and departure day. So you could be on the mountain 2 half days and 3 full days and just pay for 4 nights lodging.

You can certainly get your fill of adult beverages in Park City and you'll be able to get around to various spots there w/out a car.

Check out VRBO for a condo rental to save a couple of more bucks.

Last edited:

steamboat1

I think big sky offers a shuttle from airport to resort, plenty of terrain for everybody, plus close to west yellowstone, snowmobiles and tours through the park

Several shuttle services from the airport (check their website). Also shuttle's to & from many of the local eateries & to West Yellowstone for snowmobiling.

My recommendation, rent a vehicle. The surrounding area around Big Sky is not only scenic but the wild life you'll encounter driving around is something you won't see at most other resorts. The only way to fully enjoy the surrounding area is to be able to drive around on your own.

I've been to most of the major western resorts & by far for both skiing & scenery Big Sky/Moonlight is my favorite. Your original post asked if there is skiing for all abilities. Did you know that between Big Sky & Moonlight they have the most lift serviced acreage in the U.S. Yes even more than Vail. They offer plenty of terrain for all abilities including jaw dropping steeps.

SKIQUATTRO

fly to SLC..shuttle to Park City...PC has an awesome bus system, Park City loaded with fantastic restaurants/bars etc....easy in / out

drjeff

I was ordering right off the menu at multiple restaurants in the Park City area last week 20 oz Bomber bottles of between 6-9% ABV micro brews :beer: And my wife had no problems getting her favorite, a stoli vanilla and diet coke.

Getting booze in Utah is a non issue

Geoff

You can fly right into Aspen. You have the best resort town in North America. Excellent bus service so you can stay in town or up at Snowmass.

lou12572

hi
in keeping with the current discussion.
a couple of you guys eluded that no car was needed for steamboat or jackson hole.
my question is are there shuutles to these areas or a bus? reason being that planning
trip with family 4 of us. thanks in advance for the help.
lou