• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Night skiing

Breakout12

I was reading the "Over/Underrated" thread, and I noticed a couple of comments re: night skiing. Specifically,

"It's near always completely empty (unless you go night skiing, but that's mainly for the kiddies)" (I think in reference to Bolton), and;

"Night? Why the heck would I ski at night if I can ski all day? I'm not a kid any more." (I think in reference to MC)

I don't understand. Is this the prevailing prejudice? That night skiing is kid's stuff? If so, why? I think I might actually enjoy night even more than day. It's usually less crowded, and there is a completely different vibe. It's surreal.

I'm planning a big trip, and the availability of night skiing at various resorts along the way has actually helped me determine where the main destination will be. I'm planning travel days that allow for night skiing so as to maximize the amount of time skiing.

Is there no love for the night?

slatham

Yes, night skiing can be a blast and I really enjoy it. It is surreal, is often less crowded, and if its snowing out then really awesome. It also helps in getting time on the mountain for short visits. We used to go to Jiminy Peak for a weekend, ski Friday night, Sat, Sat night (yes, this is bit much and more for the kids, but I went out too!), and Sunday. Now that is a lot of skiing for a weekend!

We are now renting for the season at Bromley and I must admit I miss night skiing......but I guess I'm just a 48 year old kid!!!

bvibert

Staff member
I think it's mostly old fogies with poor eyesight that complain about night skiing.

snowmonster

If you love night skiing, then good for you!

I used to go night skiing at Wachusett and did that for two years. Great for afterwork turns but it gets pretty old very quickly. My problem with night skiing is that there's limited terrain. It's not as if they can light up the entire mountain so usually you have a number of runs to ski. After three runs down the same trail, it gets pretty boring. As far as I am concerned, it's a novelty. But, if it floats other people's boats, fine with me.

MadMadWorld

I was reading the "Over/Underrated" thread, and I noticed a couple of comments re: night skiing. Specifically,

"It's near always completely empty (unless you go night skiing, but that's mainly for the kiddies)" (I think in reference to Bolton), and;

"Night? Why the heck would I ski at night if I can ski all day? I'm not a kid any more." (I think in reference to MC)

I don't understand. Is this the prevailing prejudice? That night skiing is kid's stuff? If so, why? I think I might actually enjoy night even more than day. It's usually less crowded, and there is a completely different vibe. It's surreal.

I'm planning a big trip, and the availability of night skiing at various resorts along the way has actually helped me determine where the main destination will be. I'm planning travel days that allow for night skiing so as to maximize the amount of time skiing.

Is there no love for the night?

I wouldn't say that night skiing is for kids but lets face it, during the week thats when the kids go skiing. During the weekend though it is a completely different crowd and is actually a lot of fun. I sometimes go to Wachusett on Sunday nights and I have the whole mountain to myself

thetrailboss

Staff member
Night skiing is great and fun. It allows working folks the opportunity to ski midweek. That said, it is not a big thing because it is often colder at night, folks are more tired then, most mountains don't regroom their terrain (so it is skied out), and terrain is often limited. It only works near big cities and in places that aren't too cold (Vermont can be below zero at night).

steamboat1

Actually night skiing is very popular in eastern Canada. There are several smaller areas that offer night skiing north of Montreal on the way to Tremblant. The Eastern Township area also has a couple of night skiing areas. Up by Quebec City Stoneham, Le Rollie & Mount St. Anne also offer night skiing. In fact the night skiing up by Quebec City is quite extensive with a large portion of the mountains lit up. It's pretty cold in Canada but doesn't seem to effect them.

bobbutts

I'd like to check out Mt. Hood Skibowl someday. Looks like they have some MASSIVE lights and expansive terrain compared to everyone else.
Skibowl_night_bowl.jpg

4aprice

There are two kinds of night skiing I'd like to try this year: skiing down Mansfield with a headlamp and mondschein skiing (skiing by the light of the full moon).

Has anyone ever tried this for regular night skiing? I wonder if it would help visability. (since I'm one of those old fogies Brain mentions) Head Lamps are readly available at Home Depot. You shouldn't be blinding anyone since technically your going in the same direction. I once skied with a flair when the lights (electrical failure) went out at the old Crotched East ski area.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ERJ-145CA

On an average season I get about 5 to 10 nights in. Both local areas are 100% lit at night so if I'm too busy during the day to go skiing I might head out after dinner.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
If you love night skiing, then good for you!

I used to go night skiing at Wachusett and did that for two years. Great for afterwork turns but it gets pretty old very quickly. My problem with night skiing is that there's limited terrain. It's not as if they can light up the entire mountain so usually you have a number of runs to ski. After three runs down the same trail, it gets pretty boring. As far as I am concerned, it's a novelty. But, if it floats other people's boats, fine with me.

That's exactly it. It would be pretty sweet if, say, Sugarloaf or Killington lit the ENTIRE mountain. But it's never gonna happen. You get a few trails and they are normally green / blue for the masses. So that's why .... that said, I love night skiing. I grew up night skiing at Sundown in Connecticut and now I routinely ski nights at Wachusett.

PS, imagine trying to ski glades at night :spin:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Has anyone ever tried this for regular night skiing? I wonder if it would help visability. (since I'm one of those old fogies Brain mentions) Head Lamps are readly available at Home Depot. You shouldn't be blinding anyone since technically your going in the same direction. I once skied with a flair when the lights (electrical failure) went out at the old Crotched East ski area.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I have a nice Petzl headlamp but I don't know if it would be sufficient for the speed at which I ski. I don't think it would be sufficient for mountain biking, either; you'd be surprised how much light you really need to see when doing any activity > 10 mph.

Huck_It_Baby

There are two kinds of night skiing I'd like to try this year: skiing down Mansfield with a headlamp and mondschein skiing (skiing by the light of the full moon).

I almost bought a seriously bright headlamp yesterday for this exact reason. I plan on some night time skins up Mansfield after work this season.

Night skiing is awesome. I grew up with night time ski club and race practice at Bristol mountain and other places in western NY all through childhood. Bristol, Swain, Brantling, Holiday valley all had lots of night skiing terrain...it's the norm there. I was always surprised when I was younger coming to VT to see the lifts close at 3:30-4pm.

Haven't gone in a while because the powder is usual gone at night.