• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Night skiing

Cheese

I am afraid to do night skiing. It could be really dangerous

If you normally ski the side of the trails during the day and attempt that at night, it will be dangerous. Many skiers and boarders hide in the shadows.

rowdymainstay

Website
rowdymainstays.com
Like other posters, the main negative of night skiing is the lack of terrain. The few resorts that have it at all only have it on a small percentage of their trails. But it can be a blast, the apres beers are even better late at night.

ScottySkis

Like other posters, the main negative of night skiing is the lack of terrain. The few resorts that have it at all only have it on a small percentage of their trails. But it can be a blast, the apres beers are even better late at night.

Mountain Creek in NJ has 100% of trails with lights I believe, I don't know if that is close to you.

BenedictGomez

This is why the Poconos is the best place for night skiing, 100% of terrain is open. It's the only thing the Poconos are best at, but at least they've got that going for them.

Newpylong

Crotched is 100% open at night - great night skiing. Jiminy Peak also has a lot if you're out in that area.

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I grew up skiing the poconos. Most of my weekend skiing was at night. 100% of terrain was available and it was a lot cheaper. There was usually far less people. In PA it did have its downfalls though. It would be above freezing in the day and freeze as the sunset making for some rock hard ice. I don't fear icy trails though cutting my teeth there. The only bigger mountain I skied at night was Keystone Colorado. That was a nice experience. Again very few people and a big enough area of open terrain to not get too bored. A lot of cruisers which was fine after skiing 6 hrs during the day and not up for the more challenging terrain. In the bigger New England Mtns...bigger vs. PA I would probably not waste my time unless I was with a new skier.

bobbutts

If the only stuff open at night is too easy for you, try switching from skis to a snowboard or tele gear. Even the smallest hill becomes a challenge when you leave your comfort zone.

Mpdsnowman

One of the things I love about my little 700 ft vertical playground is because 80% of it is night riding too. Plus its common we get lake effect and general snow storms and if it is a week night and people didnt go, the place is empty and you can leave your food and drink at the bar/restaurant, take a run in the powder and have no wait in line then go eat and drink some more. We stay open till 10 pm

I usually do one or two night time vids. This was earlier this year(since we are still in December lol)