• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Race course gates

Smellytele

I wish ski areas would setup a race course that I could practice on and not have to pay for Nastar. It doesn't have to be timed I just want to practice gates. Don't give me that crap that it would cost money because they set up and maintain the parks and that doesn't cost me extra money (it does through my ticket price but not an extra added price)

BenedictGomez

I've always felt this way. It would be a ton of fun and would only require a single portion of an intermediate trail.

My assumption is that the real reason mountains dont do this is cost.
One, insurance.
Two, it would need to be manned by an employee to ensure several dumazzes don't go down at the same time.

But Lord knows the insurance increase for these parks cant be cheap either, and I'm sure we're paying for it. IMO the "park phenomena" has jumped the shark at this point. Obviously it's a good thing for the sport and there's a place for it, but I dont think enough people use them to justify the high cost and constant maintenance and upkeep. My guess is it would better work as a niche product if say 50% of mountains offered park as opposed to now nearly 100%. Especially given how crappy the poor excuse for what some places call a "park" is, but I'm guessing mountains are worried they will lose the "parents of teenage skiers" market if they dont offer a park.

Anklebiter

I wish ski areas would setup a race course that I could practice on and not have to pay for Nastar. It doesn't have to be timed I just want to practice gates. Don't give me that crap that it would cost money because they set up and maintain the parks and that doesn't cost me extra money (it does through my ticket price but not an extra added price)

Cannon use to have a salom course right next to their terrain park. I had blast racing my buddies and it was free. I don't know if they still do.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That is actually a really cool idea, and I'm surprised no one does that. I would definitely love to goof of in some gates just for fun.

KevinF

I've been skiing long enough to remember when most places had NASTAR courses pretty much permanently setup. Now I'm amazed when I see an "open to the public" course. I'm guessing the old NASTAR courses didn't see enough use for areas to continue setting them up.

BenedictGomez

I've been skiing long enough to remember when most places had NASTAR courses pretty much permanently setup. Now I'm amazed when I see an "open to the public" course. I'm guessing the old NASTAR courses didn't see enough use for areas to continue setting them up.

Well, from my recollection, using those NASTAR courses was a bit like the Caddy Pool day in Caddyshack. Access available from 1:00 to 1:15 on Wednesday. It was 90% of the time it seemed I'd ski by and want to do it, but the course would always be closed.

Smellytele

Well, from my recollection, using those NASTAR courses was a bit like the Caddy Pool day in Caddyshack. Access available from 1:00 to 1:15 on Wednesday. It was 90% of the time it seemed I'd ski by and want to do it, but the course would always be closed.

Exactly - just open it up and don't time me. Can do some head to head racing with friends (or enemies)

Cornhead

Whiteface, I think, had one set up near the bottom of the hill. It had electronic eyes at the start and finish with a digital clock display at the bottom. No one attends to it, you just ski it. The clock is cool, because you know if you're improving or not, or try to beat your buddy's time.

MarkC

Plattekill usually has gates set up for race practice for the local high school on Saturdays. Once they are done with them they usually leave them up for the public.

Smellytele

Whiteface, I think, had one set up near the bottom of the hill. It had electronic eyes at the start and finish with a digital clock display at the bottom. No one attends to it, you just ski it. The clock is cool, because you know if you're improving or not, or try to beat your buddy's time.

That is perfect!!! Come on ski areas step it up like Whiteface.

spiderpig

Butternut has been charging extra to use their park for years under the guise of safety. But to your original point, this would be a great idea. They would have to rope it off so that nobody cuts in front of you, similar to a terrain park.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
^Yup, Wachusett also charges for the park. I think it's $5, but that's for the full season. Some sort of waiver fee or something :dontknow:

Cheese

How much is too much to pay? Wachusset Night Race league is $99 for 9 weeks of racing. That's 2 timed runs plus extra practice runs later in the evening for $11/wk. Assuming your hopes of making the US Ski Team have already been dashed, a night race league is probably the end goal after improving anyway. Again not free, but perhaps not unreasonably expensive either.

Smellytele

How much is too much to pay? Wachusset Night Race league is $99 for 9 weeks of racing. That's 2 timed runs plus extra practice runs later in the evening for $11/wk. Assuming your hopes of making the US Ski Team have already been dashed, a night race league is probably the end goal after improving anyway. Again not free, but perhaps not unreasonably expensive either.
I do the Beer Race league thing but want to get some practice in which is next to impossible. Team price of 650 for the season for 8 or 9 weeks. Actually we found some sucker to sponsor us this year. Now we can come in last for free.

Hawkshot99

I race in 2 mens leagues. One costs $90 and the other I think is $100 if you have a season pass. Both leagues are 8 weeks and include a nice banquet at the end.

Most "Nastar" racing I see is a joke. Basically a straight away with slight turns. Makes it a waxing/tuck race rather than proper turning for a GS.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Cheese

Most "Nastar" racing I see is a joke. Basically a straight away with slight turns. Makes it a waxing/tuck race rather than proper turning for a GS.

Have you asked the guy/girl that had the fastest time of the night whether they tuned and waxed? I think their answer may surprise you. I'm not saying that Nastar isn't an easy course and that a good tune doesn't make a difference. I'm just saying that the fastest guy/girl of the night could probably lead the pack on your skis without tucking.