• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012-2013 Closings

wa-loaf

When is wawa scheduled to close? This late midseason for me has been brutal. My wife picked up tutoring M - R so no night skiing for me and I swear every single weekend has had some sort of event / function. WTH. AT least I'll be at Sugarbush next weekend!!!!

They usually try to make it to the first weekend in April when they have their pond skimming contest.

dmw

I think I saw 4/6 or 7 for WaWa somewhere. I know their Up Down and Around race is scheduled for 4/7.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Even Snowshoe in West Virginia is open until the end of March. !

Well, most of the skiing there is above 4000 feet elevation and they do average 200 inches of snow per year. It's a major resort, top 5 in the east in skier visits, so it's expected they go until at least the end of March.

dlague

I swear every single weekend has had some sort of event / function. WTH.

I feel lucky when I met my wife - she knew I liked to ski so she committed to it, the kids committed to it and we have shot for 30+ times per season for years - 14 years and it has become a game for us to beat our prevoius seasons total visits while trying to keep our cost per skier visit to its lowest. No winter sports - just skiing/snowboarding everyday of every weekend!

Back to the topic of closures - Onthesnow.com has a depressing report of all the resorts as they fall and anticipated closings!

4aprice

I feel lucky when I met my wife - she knew I liked to ski so she committed to it, the kids committed to it and we have shot for 30+ times per season for years - 14 years and it has become a game for us to beat our prevoius seasons total visits while trying to keep our cost per skier visit to its lowest. No winter sports - just skiing/snowboarding everyday of every weekend!

Best family sport EVER. Quite impressed with the amount of different areas you've hit over the season. Along with you I'm lucky that my wife and kids are into it as well. We went a different route then you in that we decided on a local area and did a majority of our family skiing there for the last decade but that is changing. Next year will be our last there as the boy gets ready to go to college. Then the wife and I will be sampling everything we can.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

I agree :lol: but my son is only 9 months old. Next year I'll try to at least hold him on skis haha.

Well that in its self is a little problematic! But hang in there - at 2 I was tethering our kids and used device to keep the tips together! I would bring the tether in close to me (their skis between mine) then as we got going slowly give him more rope. Seems so long ago - youngest is 10 now!

BenedictGomez

Anyone here ever ski at Snowshoe? I'd like to know if it's comparable to the Catskills or another mountain range in terms of degree of difficulty.

It would probably be a once every 4 years or so trip, but if the terrain isnt lame I'd be willing to do the 6 hour drive for one of those southern storms where they get 15 inches and nobody north of Maryland gets squat.

ScottySkis

Anyone here ever ski at Snowshoe? I'd like to know if it's comparable to the Catskills or another mountain range in terms of degree of difficulty.

It would probably be a once every 4 years or so trip, but if the terrain isnt lame I'd be willing to do the 6 hour drive for one of those southern storms where they get 15 inches and nobody north of Maryland gets squat.

In early season their was trip reports from like October I think.

dlague

I will be interesting to see what happens with this next round of storms next week that seem to have promising potential for snow! That may move some closures out further into April. While on the other hand, some resorts close on their target date no matter what!

deadheadskier

Staff member

Worked at snowshoe for the 2002-2003 season. Most of it is 700 vertical of low intermediate terrain. 2 runs off the back are legit 1500 good pitched terrain. I think you would find the drive significantly longer than six hours from Manhattan.

BenedictGomez

Worked at snowshoe for the 2002-2003 season. Most of it is 700 vertical of low intermediate terrain. 2 runs off the back are legit 1500 good pitched terrain.

Whelp, that answers my questions. It was worth a query at least.

I think you would find the drive significantly longer than six hours from Manhattan.

I just moved to west/central NJ a few weeks ago after almost a decade living in Manhattan (havent updated the profile information). I'm very excited and happy about this, other than the fact that according to WCAX, I will surely now become stranded at Killington.

ScottySkis

I will be interesting to see what happens with this next round of storms next week that seem to have promising potential for snow! That may move some closures out further into April. While on the other hand, some resorts close on their target date no matter what!
Send it to Warren, Vermont please.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::):):):);););):cool::cool::cool::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::)

jimmywilson69

You can Add Ski Roundtop and Ski Whitetail from Central PA to the list. They are closing with plenty of skiable snow on the mountain, which sucks. Unfortunately, they aren't selling any day tickets, and it was just pass holders using the mountains for the past week or so.

Snow Time Resorts is leaving Ski Liberty, whic is closer to Washington DC, open until next weekend.

bvibert

Staff member
Thunder Ridge (Big Birch) announced they will remain closed for the season after not operating Monday or today. Their final day was the 17th.

Bummer, that's a cool place. A few years back I visited there in March on a mid-week evening when Sundown was closed. Very nice people there, and they had let some bumps form!