• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Snow 12/12

Savemeasammy

I am headed to mt. Snow tomorrow with my wife. Neither of us have ever been, but for $12 I figured it was worth a shot. Anyone going? Has anyone been recently? Any favorite runs that are open? Any chance of finding some bumps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

Dr Jeff and Glen are both Mountainsnow season pass holders . I haven't been this year, but get to the Northface for best terrain.

fahz

I'm going! Have no wisdom to share other than I'm getting pretty pumped seeing snow falling in my backyard and knowing that I'm going skiing tomorrow! $12 is a great deal crowded or not looking forward to it!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Long John is a classic. Ridge and Cascade/Canyon are favorites of most. FreeFall on the North Face can be difficult if it's icy. No moguls that I know of. They've got most of the cruising trails they're known for open. Don't expect much variety.

If I were you, I'd check out the history of the mountain in the base lodge tomorrow. Well...no...If I were you I'd spend my whole day looking at the history. :lol:

skifree

Avoid long John at all costs. It is a magnet for everyone you don't want to ski around . Slow/flat/ crowded!
Jay peak type incident in the making

C-Rex

If they haven't put the features back up on The Gulch head over to Carinthia and check that out. Also good snow on the sides of the parks.

Savemeasammy

I rode one of the chairs with my boys this summer, so I have a pretty good idea what to expect! It doesn't look like there is much in the way of challenging terrain - it looks like it might be on par with Mount Sunapee. That's probably for the best. That way I won't have the temptation to ditch my wife to ski some good stuff! ;)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Avoid long John at all costs. It is a magnet for everyone you don't want to ski around . Slow/flat/ crowded!
Jay peak type incident in the making

I wouldn't be too worried since it's a Tuesday before the ski season "really" starts. But hey, i could be wrong. I don't know how popular this 12$ ticket deal is.

^
As for steepness, the North Face can really pack a punch. Ripcord is no joke. It's not one of those "steep but groomed" trails. It's not one of those "it's flatter than it looks" trails either. It's wall-to-wall moguls that can take you down if you're not careful. Go down River Run tomorrow, off of the Canyon chair leading into the North Face. Ripcord will be the first trail you pass on the left. Trust me, you'll see it...

Savemeasammy

I actually walked down that trail when I was there this summer specifically to see Ripcord. It looks like a good run. I guess I will have to see if it might be worth a mid season visit. It's possible because of it's family friendly terrain.

drjeff

The Ripper is legit anywhere in VT! And the trees to skiers right are even better with a nice cliff drop thrown in most of the way down the headwall.

Unfortunately right now on The Northface you've only got Free fall and River Run open with guns on Chute working to get it open by the weekend.

Hit up Inferno over at Carinthia for some fun cruising (no features on it yet as they still need 2 or 3 major snowmaking runs to get enough snow on it to build the 30-40 ft high features on it when its built out!)

Ridge, exhibition to Lodge and Snowdance are all fun to cruise on the main face!

The Bluebird Express is a lift experience like no other in the East (and yes the bubble and safety bar DO open automatically as you enter into the summit terminal!)

And check out The Station Taproom on the 2nd floor of the main base lodge for what is a beer selection on tap that rivals any ski bar in the East, and Pete and Avery will help you through the beer list on the wall - JUST DON'T ASK say for a Heineken or a Corona! TRUST ME! ;)

enjoy my home hill!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Euler

I was there yesterday afternoon. Trail choice is still limited, but rapidly expanding. Free fall on the north face is skiing great! No bumps anywhere on the mountain, though. I agree with those who've advised avoiding long john...its a beginners death ribbon of ice at most times. Lodge is opening for the first time this morning and should provide some fast fun cruising and if the crowd is big enough you might even find some bumps formoing there bby the afternoon. Definitely take a journey to carinthia to watch the freestyle crowd on Nitro xas you ride up the ldift. Have fun!

Savemeasammy

Saw someone trying to sell tix for 12/12 - 2 for 100 on ebay what an asshat

Hopefully they just end up stuck with the tickets. Loser. I think my wife said the walk up rate was $49...?

Judging by the green circle, Long John probably won't make the cut! ;)

drjeff

Hopefully they just end up stuck with the tickets. Loser. I think my wife said the walk up rate was $49...?

Judging by the green circle, Long John probably won't make the cut! ;)

Yup, the walk up rate today per their main webpage is $49

fahz

I thought conditions today were great! Arrived a little late so I missed some of the freshies on the sides of the trail but made the most of Founders Day. Crowd disappeared at 2:00 no lines very happy I made it there today!

Savemeasammy

Right. It was pretty decent. I skied a bit of the natural where it was available. I got a pretty good scratch on Snowdance, so I was more careful after that! The best snow I thought was off the canyon quad (we did not go to Carinthia, however). We did free fall once (I don't think the wife wanted to do it again). That looks like a nice trail pod over there. It's too bad they don't have a high speed lift - it would make it more likely that I would go back.

Huck_It_Baby

Right. It was pretty decent. I skied a bit of the natural where it was available. I got a pretty good scratch on Snowdance, so I was more careful after that! The best snow I thought was off the canyon quad (we did not go to Carinthia, however). We did free fall once (I don't think the wife wanted to do it again). That looks like a nice trail pod over there. It's too bad they don't have a high speed lift - it would make it more likely that I would go back.

What? No photos?!

Euler

Right. ... It's too bad they don't have a high speed lift - it would make it more likely that I would go back.
Once the trails bump up on the North Face, our legs thank us for the chance to ride the slow fixed grip chairs between runs. The north face is indeed a sweet little place at Mount Snow

Savemeasammy

What? No photos?!

There were a lot of ski bunnies that were worthy of photos, but I'm not sure my wife would have been very understanding! Otherwise there wasn't much else that inspired me to get pics. It was a bit on the cold side!