• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe or Mt Ellen Tomorrow (Thursday)?

abc

I haven't been to Stowe for ages. This week is ski council week so lift tickets are ~$33 for 3 days or more. I'm here in Waitsfield already, and also a reservation at Stowe for Sat/Sun.

I have only been to Mt Ellen once, not at its best condition. It look to have good terrain (for me). It's got $30 ticket deal on Thursdays.

And it's suppose to snow Wednesday night! So I might have some freshies to play with come Thursday!!! :)

In terms of lift op and wind hold etc., is there advantage/disadvantage between Stowe and Mt. Ellen on Thursday?

Basically, I'll be skiing at Stowe Sat/Sun for sure, it's Thursday (and Friday to a lesser degree) that I'm undecided.

mikec142

No idea of the conditions right now (I suspect they are good after last week's storm), but I loved Mt. Ellen over the President's Day Weekend.

ScottySkis

i know Sugarbush is givibg season pass holders from other mountains this year 50$ lift tickets i might see you ABC this weekend.

abc

i know Sugarbush is givibg season pass holders from other mountains this year 50$ lift tickets i might see you ABC this weekend.
The deal is for mid-week only, keep that in mind. And the ski council deal at Stowe is even cheaper.

II think I'll be at MMt Ellen tomorrow (Thursday) iif their lift runs. And Stowe Fri-Sun.

let me know if you're coming up

WWF-VT

If the winds are an issue you can always head south for a day at Middlebury Snow Bowl. Low cost tickets and never a crowd.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Been paying attention to the winds since I'll be at Bush on Friday then Stowe and Jay. You don't have to worry about the winds this weekend. Nothing big incoming.

HowieT2

I wouldn't expect wind to be an issue tomorrow and you will have the place to yourself. Pm me if u any questions..

steamboat1

I wouldn't expect wind to be an issue tomorrow and you will have the place to yourself. Pm me if u any questions..

"Tonight Snow, mainly after 10pm. Low around 25. Very windy, with a south wind 37 to 42 mph increasing to 45 to 50 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Thursday Snow showers, mainly before 8am. High near 33. Windy, with a southwest wind 32 to 37 mph decreasing to 26 to 31 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Thursday Night Snow showers likely, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Wind chill values as low as -2. Very windy, with a west wind around 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 10am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 26. Windy, with a west wind 29 to 38 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible"

HowieT2

"Tonight Snow, mainly after 10pm. Low around 25. Very windy, with a south wind 37 to 42 mph increasing to 45 to 50 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Thursday Snow showers, mainly before 8am. High near 33. Windy, with a southwest wind 32 to 37 mph decreasing to 26 to 31 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Thursday Night Snow showers likely, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Wind chill values as low as -2. Very windy, with a west wind around 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 10am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 26. Windy, with a west wind 29 to 38 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible"

i stand corrected.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hey steamy, I've never found the winds to be as bad as they forecast. We were at Stowe when the gusts were forecast to be 50+. Not even close.

btw, it's snowing!
http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/WXTYPE/loop25ne.html

loop.gif

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Rode at MEllen most of the day today. Nothing really softened up, so I stayed on the groomers, which were fine, but the light was kind of flat. Did venture onto Lower FIS which had pockets of nice, rest was pretty firm.

Coverage is pretty good out there, but there are a couple spots, most notably the Bravo headwall. Black Diamond was well covered, but again, looked firm. We haven't had much warmth in these past few days (weeks? months?)

For $30, you can't go wrong. Hardly ever a crowd (the one exception being last Friday). Good lifts (except during wind holds or other delays). Mellow vibe.

BenedictGomez

I learned a long time ago not to listen to weather forecasts. You'd miss a lot of nice days if you did.:wink:

I sure hope they're wrong for Friday.

Windy, with a west wind 34 to 39 mph

The one good thing is that they're, of course, using American data, which seems worse than the more reliable Canadian data. The Canuck is windy too, but on the canuck it's only "gusts" that get to the 30s mph, not the regular wind. Meh, just hope for the best at this point and spend some quality time in the Madonna woods is my plan.

steamboat1

Thursday, March 20th - 1:50 PM

*** Super Bravo and Northridge lifts are on windhold. ***

Valley House & Inverness chairs are listed as closed.

Update:

Thursday, March 20th - 2:45 PM

*** North Lynx is on windhold. ***

Heavens Gate is listed as open but how the heck are you supposed to get there?