• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is your Ski Day Ritual?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
What do you do - every time - before you go out to ski/board for the day?

I'm talking RITUAL here - like Nomar Garciaparra. You don't feel right unless you do these things.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Coffee on. I put my cup under the thing because im too impatient to wait for the pot.

Coffee and a cigarette on the porch (testing to see hoe many layers I need).

Put a ski movie on the tele for background noise to let everyone know its time to wake the f#ck up.

Crack a PBR, take it in the shower with me (yes, I shower before I ski, get over it).

Socks on first, then pants, then layer up top. Zip up the jacket, strap on the jammy pack.

Stop at Phat Italian (called in the order) for a bacon egg and cheese and boom, we're off.

Hawkshot99

I dont have a ski day ritual. But I do have stuff before I go racing. I will always use the bathroom before I put on my speedsuit. No matter how little time passed before leaving the lodge, and stepping into the start house, I always have to go find a tree to water as I am taking off my zip up pants.

hammer

Not sure if it's a ritual but the night before I make sure everything that can be packed is packed...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Pre-kids:
Boil three eggs the night before. Eat them in the morning with an english muffin and cup of coffee. Head to the mtn.

With kids:
Any sort of schedule goes out the window and I hopefully make it to the mountain before 10:00 if at all.

4aprice

Here's another one for the coffee thing. Timed brew and travel mugs at the ready. Depending on where I'm going pack the car the night before (doing that tonight after work). Wife will make such things as sticky buns or breakfast treats the night before too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

HD333

Wake up walk dog. Put skis/boards outside. Hopefully coffee is made when I get back. Yell at kids to get dressed. Walk around anxiously in base layers while I find everyone's gloves, helmets, neck warmers, glove liners, etc....by everyone I mean the wife and the kids. Eventually say f it I'm going without you and throw my pants on and mid layer. At this point kids react and semi get their shit together so now I am sweating while I tuck people's gloves under their jacket sleeves and adjust helmets., etc....because everything needs to be PERFECT. At this point I am really sweating. Kick the kids outside to the trail yell to the wife that I will take her skis and she needs to lock the door as I leave the house with my coat unzipped, gloves in hand, goggles askew. Buckle up and wait for the wife while kids ask what is taking so long. Cruise down to lift as I get cold due to all the sweat freezing.
Rinse and Repeat the next day. Wouldn't trade it for anything though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Wake up walk dog. Put skis/boards outside. Hopefully coffee is made when I get back. Yell at kids to get dressed. Walk around anxiously in base layers while I find everyone's gloves, helmets, neck warmers, glove liners, etc....by everyone I mean the wife and the kids. Eventually say f it I'm going without you and throw my pants on and mid layer. At this point kids react and semi get their shit together so now I am sweating while I tuck people's gloves under their jacket sleeves and adjust helmets., etc....because everything needs to be PERFECT. At this point I am really sweating. Kick the kids outside to the trail yell to the wife that I will take her skis and she needs to lock the door as I leave the house with my coat unzipped, gloves in hand, goggles askew. Buckle up and wait for the wife while kids ask what is taking so long. Cruise down to lift as I get cold due to all the sweat freezing.

This = me in 2-3 years (except the slopeside part).

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Okay, mine. Not too dissimilar. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't OCD.

The skis never leave the car so if I'm driving my car I don't worry about what skis to take. Any bottom tuning takes place on off days.

The night before I'll layout all my cloths I'll need for the day: base layers, turtle neck, fleece shirts, ski socks. Next check the boot bag to make sure Gloves, goggles and helmet are in order. Fill the snack box. Fill water bottle and pack one small Gatorade. Get out which can of soup I'll be heating up in the morning, put it by the stove with pan and special soup thermos. Grind my coffee for the morning get out the travel mug. Obsess about what I've forgotten. Check the weather. Change goggle lenses. Get contact lenses our with saline put by bathroom sink if it's gonna be a short ride, pack them in the boot bag if a long ride.

In the morning: Put the soup on, boil water, wash face - maybe put contacts in. Make coffee, fill thermos. Short ride - make some eggs and toast for breakfast. Long ride - stop at diner. If I have guests always go to diner.

Then yeah. Take a dump and then I'm finally out the door.

drjeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! I can relate to that in a BIG way!

Although I will admit to screwing up a bit a few weekends ago with one of my other rituals, put everyone's liner back in their boot shells! It was still a bit dark out and the caffiene hadn't fully permeated my system. I went to put the liner back into y kids boots (we have 2 two pair of boot passive heat dryers that we put our liner on every night). Well, my kids liners loom pretty similar. I was rushing a bit as my wife had to leave about 5 prior to get my daughter to a race she had at Magic that day. I get my wife and daughter out the door, then 30 minutes later my son and I take the shuttle over to Mount Snow. On my 1st ride up the Bluebird I get a text from my daughter from Magic saying "you put 1 wrong liner in" (I was really hoping she was referring to her glove liners at that moment) and then my wife calls me about 2 minutes later saying that I had managed to put one of my daughters regular size 23.5 liners in her right boot and one of my sons size 21.5 liners in her left boot!!! :eek: Fortunately the AWESOME guys in the rental shop at Magic were bale to pull a liner out of one of their rental boots that fit decently into my daughters shell and with a quick $20 tip from my wife, my daughter was off to ride the Red to the top and had a solid race!!

I'm much more careful when I put the liners in now!!! :lol:

SkiFanE

We have a deadline to be at lodge at 8:20 to get lil one off to program...so all backs up to that.

6-6:30am...wake up, get coffee brewing, woodstove stoked, make sure everyones boots are in warm part of house or in front of stove. Maybe read. 7am nag husband to get up, nag kids to get up. I wash up...7:10 nag husband to get up, nag kids to get up. I get in my base layers, find little kids stuff. 7:20 nag husband to get up, nag kids to get up. Progress... kids get cereal, or maybe if I got up extra early pancakes or french toast. I have OJ. Everyone in slow-mo...getting in/out of bathrooms... 7:45.....fight over second layer for lil kid, teen girl can't find the ONE perfect {insert clothing item that she has 20 of, but not the ONE she wants}. Fill flask and other safety necessities. Put warm boots in bag, dried gloves, etc. Put cash/card, chapstick, granola bar, necessities, phone in correct pockets. Scream/nag kids to get moving. Remind lil kid he forgot to put ski pants on before ski boots (he is only one to boot up at home)....now it's 8:00... husband warms cars, get skis in. Crap...feed the dog. Make sure kids have gators and handwarmers, cash and all gear... Off to mountain, drop off kids and gear at lodge, son meets group, we park car and boot up and ready for lift by 8:45. By 9:30am I'm ready to hit the flask, it's like lunch time by then lol.

Cannonball

-Lie in bed checking snow reports and weather before getting up.
-Put coffee on and start toaster
-Check snow reports and weather (in case anything has changed) while coffee is brewing and toast is toasting.
-Put boots on heater and turn it on
-Check snow reports and weather (in case anything has changed) while drinking coffee and eating toast
-Put boards in car
-Check snow reports and weather (in case anything has changed) while boots are heating up.
-Put on toasty warm boots and GO!

AdironRider

Nice to see Mom remembering the safety meeting supplies.

Given that I live by the hill and have no kids. Its basically roll out of bed, put on ski clothes, grab a redbull from the fridge, and get on with it.

I also have to tail tap my board at the beginning of my run otherwise I feel off.

bdfreetuna

Skis and the majority of ski-related gear for myself and GF have their permanent residency in my Subaru hatchback, which is in winter "2 seater" configuration already.

Wake up anywhere between 5:30am and 6:30am depending where I'm going.
Try not to snooze.
Shower.
Get my GF out of bed and tell her to shower and make it snappy.
Meanwhile, go online to make sure I don't want to change plans of where to go for the day, based on weather or any number of early morning superstitions.
Wait for GF to put on makeup while I am 100% ready to go.
Suggest it would be OK to do that in the car... Get told to chill the F out and reminded that it's very early
Drive to the gas station between my home and the highway to grab coffee and maybe a snack. Gas up.
Drive a minimum of 75mph and a maximum of 78mph except on the straight shots where I can see there's no cops and push it to 90.
Arrive at ski area. If no dump has been taken, do it now. Eat a small quick breakfast.

And that's that.