• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf making snow

nhskier1969

Interesting Sugarloaf is making snow today.
Got to think its for Reggaefest marketing, but was their a little bit of a shot across the bow to Killington with the "King of Spring" video. Got to love it.
Here's the video:
https://vimeo.com/161400593

drjeff

I look at it this way, marketing, yup!!! But in reality, Sugarloaf NEEDS to make snow to make it to reggaefest (and that's directly from a friend of mine who owns a condo at Sugarloaf and skis there almost every weekend, including this weekend and the last few) whereas K has enough snow on SS already to realistically make it into May without making any more snow!!

bigbog

Interesting Sugarloaf is making snow today.
Got to think its for Reggaefest marketing, but was their a little bit of a shot across the bow to Killington with the "King of Spring" video. Got to love it.

Of course Reggaefest is looming but the temps up here are rather steady @below freezing by a good margin. You never know in April as temps can be a seesaw through the whole month due to lattitude(ie Canadian air systems)....not to mention the temps gained via the mountain's height...

chuckstah

Sunday River is turning the guns on tonight as well.

Vortex

Copy of report Chuckstah mentioned

Last weekend we celebrated Spring Festival, and today our snowmaking team is preparing to hit the hill one last time. That's weather in New England, and snowmaking at Sunday River.

It's been a long winter since our opening day back on October 19, but we make a promise to provide the best conditions possible all season so we're sending the team out for one last round of snowmaking. After all, May 1 is our traditional last day of the season and that's still the plan this year. So while other resorts may only have a fraction of their terrain still open or are closing for the season, we're boosting base depths on Barker Mountain to make sure we'll be in good shape for a few more weeks. After all, when we make a promise -- we keep it.
Even before snowmaking kicks back in tonight we'll be enjoying the most snow and most skiing and riding in New England by a longshot today, with around 400 acres of terrain from White Heat to Jordan Bowl. We'll see temps in the 20s so expect firm but freshly groomed snow conditions across the mountain. Snow coverage on lower sections of the mountain is getting thin and short sections of walking may be required on a few trails, but the upper mountain is still well covered and skiing nicely. As always, the Lift and Trail Report will have the the most up-to-date information on grooming and trail status.
Spring lift ticket rates are now in effect at $59 for adults and $39 for teens / juniors / seniors / college students. Plus, all season passholders can buy a ticket for a friend for just $49 any day.

Edd

Spring lift ticket rates are now in effect at $59 for adults.

This conflicts with the prices on their lift ticket page, which says $69 spring rates starting April 2nd. Anyone know what the real deal is?

Edd

I would trust the report. Don't know for certain though.

I called and they're confirming the $59 price. Liftopia has $45 but, either the price doesn't start until Wednesday or you're required to purchase two days in advance. Nothing available for tomorrow.

Jully

That's good to know! The two day advance thing is a pain at this time of the year for sure.

Jully

Boyne is trying to be known as the hardest trying player in the east it looks like. Sugarloaf DESPERATELY needed it. Not sure about Loon or Sunday River.

delco714

Boyne is trying to be known as the hardest trying player in the east it looks like. Sugarloaf DESPERATELY needed it. Not sure about Loon or Sunday River.
Let me be honest. Keeping sugarloaf open as is IS DANGEROUS. I am saying that as an intermediate advanced boarder whether here or in Midwest. It was only going to be more so after Saturday night freeze.

Vortex

Sr was tough on Sat. Sunday the groomers did some repairs and snowmaking tonight. The River will be okay. I would not be surprised if the guns make an appearance again after tonight. They want to make it to May 1st

machski

Sr was tough on Sat. Sunday the groomers did some repairs and snowmaking tonight. The River will be okay. I would not be surprised if the guns make an appearance again after tonight. They want to make it to May 1st

They will, since they are weekends only after the 10th (except Patriots day Monday the 18th)

skiMEbike

I was at the Loaf both Saturday & Sunday....Conditions were definitely advanced on anything above Peavy on Saturday. You definitely had to pick your line around the blue ice to find patches of snow to turn on. Skiing under the guns on Hayburner on Sunday (in APRIL nonetheless) definitely made up for a "bad" day on Saturday. I think management realized they HAD to blow snow in order to make it to Reggae in two weeks.

chuckstah

I called and they're confirming the $59 price. Liftopia has $45 but, either the price doesn't start until Wednesday or you're required to purchase two days in advance. Nothing available for tomorrow.

Passholders can buy one ticket per day for $49. Should be easy to find one booting up at Barker.

Jully

I was at the Loaf both Saturday & Sunday....Conditions were definitely advanced on anything above Peavy on Saturday. You definitely had to pick your line around the blue ice to find patches of snow to turn on. Skiing under the guns on Hayburner on Sunday (in APRIL nonetheless) definitely made up for a "bad" day on Saturday. I think management realized they HAD to blow snow in order to make it to Reggae in two weeks.

Under the guns was incredible Sunday. I wasn't there Saturday, but on Sunday the conditions weren't great, but there wasn't much blue ice. It felt like a day in the middle of January after a thaw and refreeze.

The warming Thursday and Friday this week followed by a freezer night on Saturday might be rough, but theres a bit of snow in the forecast. Just an inch or two of snow can save groomers under the right conditions.

Regardless I'm trying to get up there this Thursday or Wednesday and take advantage of this cold.