• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was wondering when they would update the original story. It was largely a retread...with some verb tenses changed. They should have gone up to interview folks in the NEK.

VTKilarney

Yeah maybe someone who lives in Utah who's on the save Burke committee
The Friends of Burke Mountain Facebook page got over 4,000 likes. Through some sort of behind the scenes process, a local innkeeper became the visible head of the page. She recently announced that the name of the Facebook page was changing to "Friends of Burke." In other words, she dropped the "Mountain" part. The page has changed its focus to promoting local businesses, such as inns and restaurants. No self serving there, eh? Too bad the board didn't step in to do something about it, but maybe they were too far away to really notice.

As a technical matter, a separate Facebook page for the 501(c)(3) group (did they ever get that status?) has been created, but hardly anyone actually knows that - nor had anyone asked for it.

The bottom line is that FOB harnessed the spirit of people that wanted to save the ski area, but changed course and morphed into a second chamber of commerce. I saw that coming when their professionally produced video featured local businesses, and had nothing at all to do with the mountain itself.

I've heard from some major stakeholders that the group has become more of a hinderance than a help at this point. Hopefully it gets ironed out. But at this point it would be much more honest to call themselves, "The Other Burke Chamber of Commerce."

Last edited:

abc

The bottom line is that FOB harnessed the spirit of people that wanted to save the ski area, but changed course and morphed into a second chamber of commerce. I saw that coming when their professionally produced video featured local businesses, and had nothing at all to do with the mountain itself.
Right, that's real smart.

Like they can make Burke great without Burke Mountain pulling in the clientele...

Unless things are so bad they figure they'll have to survive without the mountain opening?

That would be real sad.

Rikka

Kinda let the genie out of the bottle...they built a lot of good will in a very short period of time....now they want to market Burke to the 4000 who liked the original page. No Thanks....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
As to FOB: not exactly. A nonprofit has formed and has its own Facebook page. To avoid confusion the other Facebook page was renamed. That's all. Nothing too exciting. No wild conspiracies.

As to FOB it still is focused on the Burke Mountain Community. Over Memorial Day it coordinated a great "welcome back" event with the mountain. The event raised $3,000 for Kingdom Kids Ski Program. More good events coming.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

As to FOB: not exactly. A nonprofit has formed and has its own Facebook page. To avoid confusion the other Facebook page was renamed. That's all. Nothing too exciting. No wild conspiracies.

As to FOB it still is focused on the Burke Mountain Community. Over Memorial Day it coordinated a great "welcome back" event with the mountain. The event raised $3,000 for Kingdom Kids Ski Program. More good events coming.
I haven't heard anyone claim that there was a conspiracy. The talk around town centers around extremely muddled management and a lack of direction. But yes, there was one event that was extremely positive. That was great to see. Sadly, it's also the last entry (May 30th) in their "News and Events" section of the website. But the mountain has stabilized for the time being. I can see why people aren't as wound up. FOB served a purpose when things were bad. They seem to be trying to find their purpose now that effective management is running the mountain. I wish them all the best and hope that they figure things out.

VTKilarney

I keep checking the jay condo resale page wondering if prices will plummet - doesn't really make sense that they would, unless it becomes unlikely they can re-open next season - at which point I wouldn't want one anyway!! But you know, it's hot as hell in NJ. I need something to do....
I don't think that people have lost faith in the ski area itself. The only thing that should be putting downward pressure on prices right now is the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar.

thetrailboss

Staff member

JimG.

Staff member
Anyone post this yet:

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/08/pbs-delves-inside-the-jay-peak-fraud-scandal

I keep checking the jay condo resale page wondering if prices will plummet - doesn't really make sense that they would, unless it becomes unlikely they can re-open next season - at which point I wouldn't want one anyway!! But you know, it's hot as hell in NJ. I need something to do....

Great minds think alike I guess.

Not only a great place to ski but also provides easy access to Canada.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I crawled out of the woods Wednesday for a couple days and saw a note that it's time for me to purchase bulk tickets. In preparation for that, I read through about the last 20 pages of this thread trying to catch up on the Q-Tip and BS Massacre. I'm a little slow here, so please indulge me... Sarcasm is intentional.

What's your unofficial crystal ball predictions for this upcoming ski season, as it relateds to us skiers/boarders? I assume JP will operate business as usual, or not? Who's running the ship over there? Prices? Services? Lifts? Employees?

Is Q-Tip Junior still in the mix over at Burke? Who's running that ship? Do they have enough working $$ to run snowmaking this year, or open before February? Will they have any employees? Will it even open? Can we drop the Q-tip from the name, plueeze? Or is this going to be another one of those "last minute" decisions?

And then, there's poor orphan Newport, which appears to have been trashed and left to die. Any help for them? How will this play out for them? They probably don't even have enough money to bring in a bulldozer and plant grass. :( Maybe call the city of Detroit and ask for advice?

Anybody hear the names of any of the EB-5 Investors from the purported 70 countries? I wonder if any of them are from Sudan or Iraq? Mr. ISIS maybe? Maybe they're coming to visit?

So what's the future here?

fbrissette

I don't think that people have lost faith in the ski area itself. The only thing that should be putting downward pressure on prices right now is the exchange rate with the Canadian dollar.

Correct. The condo market has been very slow prior to the EB5 crisis, and in good part due to the high US dollar. A third of the owners are canadians. Prices have stayed constant but I expect them to go down but not because of the EB5 crisis. IF you cut your buyers market by a third and add more units to the sales pool by Canadians trying to make a quick buck on the exchange rate, you end up with a much larger inventory than normal. The ridiculously high school taxes for second homes are not helping either.

As a homeowner, I feel that Jay Peak will be in a much better position once it is sold, than it has been in the recent years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I crawled out of the woods Wednesday for a couple days and saw a note that it's time for me to purchase bulk tickets. In preparation for that, I read through about the last 20 pages of this thread trying to catch up on the Q-Tip and BS Massacre. I'm a little slow here, so please indulge me... Sarcasm is intentional.

What's your unofficial crystal ball predictions for this upcoming ski season, as it relateds to us skiers/boarders? I assume JP will operate business as usual, or not? Who's running the ship over there? Prices? Services? Lifts? Employees?

A receiver is running both. They are using existing staff to keep things going. All in all it is status quo, except for Burke. See below. They WILL both open. Receiver has worked very hard to fix things.

Is Q-Tip Junior still in the mix over at Burke? Who's running that ship? Do they have enough working $$ to run snowmaking this year, or open before February? Will they have any employees? Will it even open? Can we drop the Q-tip from the name, plueeze? Or is this going to be another one of those "last minute" decisions?

Ary was canned about 3 weeks after the takeover. Once he showed the new management where the lights were, where things were, and what he was doing, they said "thanks, you can go now." He drove his Land Rover into the sunset not to be seen or heard from again in the ski world. Daddy is gone too. And yes, it is once again BURKE Mountain. The Receiver and his management have made that abundantly clear.

And then, there's poor orphan Newport, which appears to have been trashed and left to die. Any help for them? How will this play out for them? They probably don't even have enough money to bring in a bulldozer and plant grass. :( Maybe call the city of Detroit and ask for advice?

Yeah, it's a mess.

Anybody hear the names of any of the EB-5 Investors from the purported 70 countries? I wonder if any of them are from Sudan or Iraq? Mr. ISIS maybe? Maybe they're coming to visit?

Yeah not even funny. Sorry.

As to the future--run things and then sell them.