• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are we Malcontents?

dlague

Now I am asking this in jest for the most part, but I find it rather entertaining that people dig on ski areas for not opening terrain fast enough, opening terrain too early, lack of snowmaking, doing inspections too late, leaving when out to drain too long, etc. I probably could list more.

The season started slow and many of us were expressing frustration around snowmaking opportunities missed. Just before Thanksgiving giving, a gift sort of speak came in the forme of cold temps and the snow has been pounding the northeast as well as areas out west regularly for the past 3-4 weeks resulting in rapid expansion of open terrain both man made and natural. In fact, at least for the Northeast, this is quickly becoming the best December in a while. Yet, some are not happy that Sugarbush is allowing people to ski CR, Pico is not making snow during a cold blast, Ragged is not opening up terrain on Spear while focusing on beginner terrain with snowmaking.

So are we malcontent? Not all mind you because I have read some great reports from Sugarbush, Cannon, and others including Snow Ridge. But we seem to find issues with all the good. Funny isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

Come on now, you know "people" are not happy unless they are bitching about "something"!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Come on now, you know "people" are not happy unless they are bitching about "something"!

Seems to be the case! I would like to note it is not everyone. I am pretty happy that the season is under way and we have all had some great days already east or west.

prsboogie

My issues have nothing to do with areas. In need to get my family on board with this ski season or not give my shit when I tell them I'm going without!

4aprice

I'm eager as hell to ski, it just hasn't been doable yet for me. I knew that things would have to break right for me get some early days with my work schedule through the holidays, they did not. Last year here in the east was such a disappointment with only 1/2 of the usual days we ski, and no trips to NNE. A lot of pent up things there,no? Am I a malcontent? Not really.

Once past New Years the schedule lightens up. Our Local mountain is now open and barring a total fiasco,(and a normal Jan thaw, is not a total fiasco) it looks like New England will be skiable this year,+ 2 trips to the Rockies and life will be wonderful through Mid April. I may not get to the 60 I had originally hoped for but 45 -55 is still possible.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Now I am asking this in jest for the most part, but I find it rather entertaining that people dig on ski areas for not opening terrain fast enough, opening terrain too early, lack of snowmaking, doing inspections too late, leaving when out to drain too long, etc. I probably could list more.

The season started slow and many of us were expressing frustration around snowmaking opportunities missed. Just before Thanksgiving giving, a gift sort of speak came in the forme of cold temps and the snow has been pounding the northeast as well as areas out west regularly for the past 3-4 weeks resulting in rapid expansion of open terrain both man made and natural. In fact, at least for the Northeast, this is quickly becoming the best December in a while. Yet, some are not happy that Sugarbush is allowing people to ski CR, Pico is not making snow during a cold blast, Ragged is not opening up terrain on Spear while focusing on beginner terrain with snowmaking.

So are we malcontent? Not all mind you because I have read some great reports from Sugarbush, Cannon, and others including Snow Ridge. But we seem to find issues with all the good. Funny isn't it?

Funny you posted this I was about to lament the torture of today . Elk had 3 trails with 18" of power and didn't drop the ropes! I stoped skiing that side of the mountain because I didn't want to see the goods! I and another skier begged the patrol pow wow to open them , They said it was not there call. I understand one trai had snow making equipment but with the warm up coming it's all going to waste :thumbdown: I'll post a trip report later , was an Epic day anyway.

Scruffy

When I first learned to ski, I could barely stand on flat ground without going all gumby,
spazing out and flailing about.
Then the greens beckoned from the bunny slope and a skier was born.
Blues Blacks chewed with reckless abandon,
until bored I faced the bumps and regressed with angst.
Soon the zipper I owned.
Then the chutes and couloirs and clifs called.
Uncontent with earthly hold,
the mountains too small,
I surfed the clouds.
Unconstrained from earthly bond
I skied from planet to planet,
from galaxy to galaxy,
until
a black hole
I was
sucked
into.

skibum636

I think a lot of my complaining is because of such high ticket prices. When places charge a premium price I expect a premium experience.

Edd

I'd say, on the whole, this group is not a collection of malcontents. We just care a lot. I've complained here loudly about service at ski areas and mountain ops done a certain way but I've learned to see both sides. I think when new members come onboard there can be a natural inclination for them to vent about things that piss them off but most mellow out.

Tin

I'd say, on the whole, this group is not a collection of malcontents. We just care a lot. I've complained here loudly about service at ski areas and mountain ops done a certain way but I've learned to see both sides. I think when new members come onboard there can be a natural inclination for them to vent about things that piss them off but most mellow out.

This.

The lack of snowmaking late this week was because the extreme cold, easy way to break snowmaking equipment. It was a slow start but once it started it went wild. Some places were definitely not prepared(Jay, SB not having lifts inspected) and it just so happened these places also had some issues that could not be helped (drought killed SB's snowmaking and the tram lines went down at Jay). So people were pissed.

I have two festivus grievances.

- First, Killington claiming the world cup would have no impact on operations and it clearly did as they were very slow off the ridge and expanding. I would not have cared if they did not come out and say it would have "no impact" on its customers.

- Second, prices have gone wild with few added deals/incentives. Season pass deals are fantastic at most places, especially for my cohort. However, most deals appear to be counterbalanced by increased price. K and its early season BOGO is always great, but $54 to start the year on North Ridge is insanity. Previous years it was around $29 when just NR was open and $54 for when Snowdon was online (and even in 2013 SS pod got open for $54). Some deals appear to be disappearing as well, Pico's midweek guys/girls $29 days for example.

If I was unable to ski midweek I doubt I would have more than a day in due to prices and lack of deals, instead I have 5 in for $120. I skied the first 4 days of the year at K, Bush, and Pico for $86, yesterday at Berkshire East it cost me $80 for my GF and I. In the next few years, most will be stuck at mountains they purchase season passes for.

Zermatt

Follow @noahcharles on Instagram, they were busy blowing snow at Okemo through the cold snap.

On the other hand I could swear their website said they could have x% open after y snowmaking days and that clearly didn't happen.

bdfreetuna

We are on the technological cutting edge of crowd-sourced constructive criticism.

If I was unable to ski midweek I doubt I would have more than a day in due to prices and lack of deals, instead I have 5 in for $120. I skied the first 4 days of the year at K, Bush, and Pico for $86, yesterday at Berkshire East it cost me $80 for my GF and I. In the next few years, most will be stuck at mountains they purchase season passes for.

I got 2 Berkshire East passes with a $30 Mountain Sports Club membership this year. Membership I also used Saturday at Burke, 2-for-1 savings.

Prices are outrageous but I had a pretty easy time playing the game and filling my fridge with a full season of ticket vouchers. My 2017 ski season Google calendar is a thing of beauty, 80%+ weekend days, under $40 every time.

dlague

We are on the technological cutting edge of crowd-sourced constructive criticism.

I got 2 Berkshire East passes with a $30 Mountain Sports Club membership this year. Membership I also used Saturday at Burke, 2-for-1 savings.

Prices are outrageous but I had a pretty easy time playing the game and filling my fridge with a full season of ticket vouchers. My 2017 ski season Google calendar is a thing of beauty, 80%+ weekend days, under $40 every time.
That is deal hunting at its best. It has been getting harder. Part of the reason we started buying season passes.

Jcb890

We're always deal-hunting also. Hopefully the M.A.X. Pass will help us get our daily average down around $30 including our Colorado trip in January.

Without pass deals, it would be crazy. The ski clubs have decent pricing too, but aside from that, regular prices are crazy and the sales aren't all that good.