• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hot Box (ski tuning - wax)

Rambo

Our local ski shop has a "Hot Box" mounted up on the rear wall of the ski tuning section. They charge $40. for Hot Boxing your skis. I think after the final Hot Waxing of your skis they will then for a charge of $40 put your skis in the Hot Box for several hours to allow the heat to draw the wax deeper into the bases.

I did some Internet research and it appears Cross Country/Nordic skiers have been Hot Boxing for years. Also high end ski tuning shops often Hot Box downhill skis and charge by how many hours the skis are left in the Hot Box to cook in the wax deeper.

Ski Race Tuners seem to have a portable - "Hot Bag" they put freshly waxed skis into.

I read that often the temperature in the Hot Box will be 120 degrees F. One guy built his own Hot Box and he cooks the bases at 150 degrees. Supposedly when you use an iron to wax your skis it is at about 200 degrees - But you are told not to leave the iron in one place too long as it could soften up the Glues that hold the laminates together.

So my question is - Has anybody had their skis Hot Boxed and is their any danger of this Hot Boxing softening up the glues that hold the laminates together. (I would hate to have my new skis Hot Boxed then down the road have the top sheet begin to peel off.)

Cornhead

My skis delaminated after a hot box session. I believe the shop knows this is the end result of the process and hopes to increase sales of new skis by destroying old ones, while charging to do so...or being 30lbs overweight and 80 days destroyed my skis.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Rambo

In all honesty, unless you're an elite level racer, this isn't a process that will make any substantial difference

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

They claim that with this "Hot Boxing" much more wax is absorbed deep into the sintered bases and the wax will last for many more ski days than traditional Hot Waxing.

Rambo

I just bought a pair of lightly used demo-skis from this local ski shop. A pair of 2015 Volkl Mantras. The owner of the shop would not come down on his price, but finally said he would throw in one free full tune and a $40 Hot Boxing to be used anytime next ski season.

benski

My skis delaminated after a hot box session. I believe the shop knows this is the end result of the process and hopes to increase sales of new skis by destroying old ones, while charging to do so...or being 30lbs overweight and 80 days destroyed my skis.

Are you complaining about Bergers?