• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Strava heatmap

skiMEbike

This is WILD !!

I thought you had to be a premium member to view it, but apparently anyone can view it....I can see bike rides on there which literally I have only done.

bdfreetuna

This is nuts. How far back does this heat map track? For example, I'm looking at Cannon Mountain. Seems like a few trails are unused; I assume they are currently closed runs.

But wow, great find!

KustyTheKlown

this isn't loading on work computer, but am I right to assume that this is a gps map with an overlay of where people using a particular tracking device/app are going? so that it will highlight sidecountry routes and things like that?

cdskier

this isn't loading on work computer, but am I right to assume that this is a gps map with an overlay of where people using a particular tracking device/app are going? so that it will highlight sidecountry routes and things like that?

Yes...

benski

Good thing. This would be the end of your productive day.

KustyTheKlown

lol. im gonna look at it from home. then i'll break out my favorite grass skis and candide all over these sidecountry lines with no snow on them.

VTKilarney

Keep in mind that the most you can narrow it down is for "winter activities" - not just downhill skiing. There seem to be some fat bikers, hikers, etc. that show up. That being said, this is a really cool map.

benski

Keep in mind that the most you can narrow it down is for "winter activities" - not just downhill skiing. There seem to be some fat bikers, hikers, etc. that show up. That being said, this is a really cool map.

True, though I assume fat biking is biking and Hikers falls under the foot. Also just found a significant web of bike trails near my parents house. I friend thinks thats where the BMX jumps and dirt-bikes, but it could make good mountain bike trails.

tnt1234

Yeah, great point.

Vaughn

No south bowls at Cannon? No Bear Guy?

This map is trash.

/s

The map is dependent on users who have their fitness trackers on during use so it may just be that Bear Guy and South bowls are being skied by people without trackers. It is interesting though because there are clearly people with trackers skiing glades between Wicked Hahd and Mittersill so I'd think they'd also be over on Bear Gut.