• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leg Recovery?

camberstick

What are you guys doing for leg recovery after hard long days on the hill?
I am sore as hell after a good day in the woods .multiple days are getting hard to enjoy as i get older.any tips ?

NYDB

download.jpg

mini-supernova-web1.jpg

These help me get through mountain bike stage races and multiple days on the ski hill.

Combined with yoga/stretching they definitely help.

Dick Gazinya

What are you guys doing for leg recovery after hard long days on the hill?
I am sore as hell after a good day in the woods .multiple days are getting hard to enjoy as i get older.any tips ?

Ski more. You'll get over it. Sounds like a case of vaginitus.

bdfreetuna

Wearing knee braces while skiing. Lost some weight so I'm a bit lighter on my feet.

Also beer / couch.

When descending stairs the next day, just making sure everyone around hears my groans and knows I went skiing yesterday.

tnt1234

Where I notice it most is my upper body - shoulders and arms get wicked sore, particulrly when skiing bumps. But I run - in the other seasons, so my legs are always feeling pretty strong. Just lack of upper body strength.

Beer also cures these pains.

Dick Gazinya

Where I notice it most is my upper body - shoulders and arms get wicked sore, particulrly when skiing bumps. But I run - in the other seasons, so my legs are always feeling pretty strong. Just lack of upper body strength.

Beer also cures these pains.

Damn that makes you sound like an even bigger wuss than the other guy. No upper body strength. I hope you are at least a woman. Or at least pretend to be to save yourself some dignity.

Breakout12

I try to eat a ton of carbs and protein, and stay well hydrated. That can only do so much, though. A hot bath helps, too.
I’ve found that there is a difference between being sore, and being unable to ski. Sometimes I’m sore, but my legs are still strong and have stamina. Other times, they are completely depleted and skiing feels dangerous.
As another poster wrote, the best way is to work out before the season.

Last edited:

CoolMike

Work out to death up to ski season..then no prob...HIT workouts are good.

This is my snowboarding workout and it works for me and may help OP:

Warmup by Jogging until you don't wanna jog no more (to each their own) at least 15 minutes though. Then, 3 rounds for time (as fast as possible) of 10 burpees, and 20 walking dumbbell lunges. If you haven't done this before start at 15-20# dumbbells depending on your fitness. It should only take 6-7 minutes. If your much faster than that increase the weight and jump up to 12 burpees per round. If your much slower than that simply try to push yourself harder next time. No breaks!

Cashout is a core workout: either 2x1 minute planks or hanging leg lifts or just situps. At least two sets of situps though.

It sounds easy but this is actually a pretty tough workout for me and the walking lunges really help get those muscles activated. The burpees are there just to get your heart rate elevated.