• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Mountain to cease operations

xwhaler

FWIW Storrs lists the below as their hours....

Friday 6-9 pm w/ DJ
Sat 12-4, Sunday 12-4​

xwhaler

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/maps/viewmap.php?id=1047

In yellow is what has the capability of being lit for night ops. This map is from 00-01 but I can't imagine they added lights since then. Never skied it at night so can't verify if the lights still operate on all these runs and/or if they rope some off when it gets dark.
Their site as of last yr listed night skiing on 80% of their terrain so the above map probably verifies.

dlague

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/maps/viewmap.php?id=1047

In yellow is what has the capability of being lit for night ops. This map is from 00-01 but I can't imagine they added lights since then. Never skied it at night so can't verify if the lights still operate on all these runs and/or if they rope some off when it gets dark.
Their site as of last yr listed night skiing on 80% of their terrain so the above map probably verifies.

Some hours were posted above, but they were open more than that. They used to run a 2 hour night skiing deal for $15 during the week.

And night skiing there seemed like only a couple trails were not lit. Then again it does not take much to make up 20% there.

bobbutts

I think I said it before, but I'll say it again about night skiing there. The lighting is bad and weak compared to other places. Something else for the improvement list.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think I said it before, but I'll say it again about night skiing there. The lighting is bad and weak compared to other places. Something else for the improvement list.

Probably budget lighting. Places like Pats have no doubt added more lights in the last few years and really made it brighter and safer.

dlague

True night skiing experience! I skied there at night and did not even think about it actually!

Savemeasammy

Whaleback announced today on FB (save the whale) that they will be operating this season. They didn't release any details... This is great news for the upper valley, especially for all the kids that use the whale as their home mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Whaleback announced today on FB (save the whale) that they will be operating this season. They didn't release any details... This is great news for the upper valley, especially for all the kids that use the whale as their home mountain.

GREAT news! Who is running it? New folks or the previous team?

xwhaler

Incredible news. Can't wait for many good days there this winter

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

xwhaler

GREAT news! Who is running it? New folks or the previous team?

I'm thinking Upper Valley Snow Sports foundation. Makes sense for the bank. Rather than the mtn/asset sit there growing in, makes sense to have someone operate/preserve it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Well that is two saves - Black Mountain of Maine and Whaleback both coming back after announcements of discontinuing operations.

Mapnut

And last year a volunteer group successfully operated the lower chair at Big Squaw, ME, and plan to do so again. No such luck at Big Tupper, NY. Both of those operations depended entirely on natural snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well that is two saves - Black Mountain of Maine and Whaleback both coming back after announcements of discontinuing operations.

Yeah, as said, you have to add Big Squaw. Big Tupper is going to reopen this year with volunteers according to WCAX.