Mortals need not apply!!

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mortals need not apply!!

http://www.dynastar.com/US/US/cr-78-...men-piste.html

So I was up in the shop near Mount Snow Friday afternoon getting my kids gear situation for the upcoming season taken care of. One of the owners, who I am good friends with, points at the above pair of Dynastar's and says "try and flex them!"

So I go over to the rack and grab one and lean my 225ish lbs into it, and they BARELY flex!!! I felt like I was back in the 80's trying to flex a pair of K2 VO Slalom's (and anyone who has ever done that knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!!)

These Dynastars would be SO unpractical in anything resembling even semi soft snow, trees, bumps, situations where tight or even tight-ish turns are needed or any speed below say 40mph!!!! So impractical!! But I SO can't wait until they mount a pair up with demo bindings and I get a wide open Super G esque run down one of Mount Snow's WIDE runs first thing in the AM right after a freeze up!!

I think I might have found a pair to add to my quiver!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12 (Mount Snow) 6,13 (Mount Southington)

Too severe for me. I tried the Blizzard Magnum 8.0 ti last season and it was fun...when it was fun. The stiffness wore me down.

I like the looks.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    I like the looks.
    + 1
    Live, Ski, or Die!

So the lack of flex makes it better in holding an edge / reduce chatter on ice? I know nothing about race skis.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post

I think I might have found a pair to add to my quiver!!
    If you race then I can see adding this to your quiver! If not then I do not see the point of buying a vast array skis flex for varied terrain! I ski an all mountian mid fat which seems to cover all bases!

However, we have a couple pair of 105 and 130 under foot skis for the few powder days we get now and then. They were acquired as good deals or free!

However, a ski for all mountain and then a AT set up is clear reason for at least a two quiver!

BTW, not thinking that these were designed to be practical - however, I bet there will be the skier out there who wil by them for show and tell and not use them for there design!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So the lack of flex makes it better in holding an edge / reduce chatter on ice? I know nothing about race skis.
    If you're a STRONG, POWERFUL skier, who can really get the ski up on edge and hold it there from the start of turn initiation through the finish, that stiffness, when it is returned through the ski to the skier will essentially help "launch" you into the next turn and help you gain speed.

If you either can't hold the edge (read more likely as hang on) or aren't skilled/big enough to flex the ski, chances are it will be a rough, chattery, ugly ride down the hill that will have you essentially immediately looking to click out of the bindings and seek out another ski after one run!!

If one can handle this ski, AND has the proper HARD snow surface, this thing will be a rocket ship! Otherwise it will more than likely have one looking for a new wintersport
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12 (Mount Snow) 6,13 (Mount Southington)

It is jot a race ski. But yes that is the quick way of saying it.
    If a ski is flexing then it is not always in contact with the ground. If the edge isnt touching its not biting into the ice. Also a stiff ski gets force built up on it as you flex it through a turn. When you come out of the turn it relases that energy springing you out of the turn.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

If you're going at the speed you're supposed to on that ski (or any race ski) -- i.e., really fast -- and you can get big edge angles throughout the turn, the g-forces you generate will bend the ski, which will pull you through a nice carved arc and launch you into the next turn.

If you try to pull a high-edge angle fast turn on a soft(er) ski, you'll wind up bending the ski so much that it'll pull you through an extremely short radius turn (i.e., more bend = shorter radius), which in turn has a high probability of wrecking your knees, breaking a leg, blowing you out of your bindings, all of the above, etc.

If you can't pull off a high-edge angle turn at speed on rock hard snow (and very few people can) and you're on a ski that you just can't bend (i.e., like the Dynastar model being discussed in this thread) -- well, you might as well be on a 2x4 for all the good it's doing you.
    Arc \'em or park \'em

Dynastar has done some interesting stuff the past couple years. I'm pretty sure that the ski you linked to is something that our Dynastar rep would ski on a hard pack day but he'll be on his Chams any other day.
    Building a quiver is just foreplay for snowgasms

Thread Information