Sugarbush Lift Replacements? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hopefully with Alterra taking over the situation at SB continues to be "More Win, less Alt".
    2019-2020 19 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23 Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13 Pico: 12/19 Mohawk: 12/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

I would think an upgraded drive on Ellen Summit would maybe be the first upgrade if you will (that lift could use a slight speed boost). With regards to CR, while I wouldn't want to see more chairs, I've always felt that lift could spin a bit faster, especially with the huge chair spacing. That would be nice. I cannot see HG going HSQ, FG with a carpet load to bump speed just a hair would be perfect I think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I would think an upgraded drive on Ellen Summit would maybe be the first upgrade if you will (that lift could use a slight speed boost).
    I'm not sure if they run Summit at design speed, or below for some reason. But keep in mind that per ANSI B77, the max line speed for a fixed grip quad is 450fpm. So even on an absolutely perfect day with a brand new lift, with no stops or slows, running at full speed, Summit would still be about an 8 minute ride.

From my own perspective as a skier, Summit was neat as a novelty to take in the views from Panorama, and maybe enjoy a run or two on Black Diamond & FIS a few times a year. But Northridge is where you can really tally up your vertical. Hit Exterminator or Bravo then cut over to midflats and have your pick of Tumbler, Cliffs, Hammerhead, or Encore. I could lap those all day... and I did, for 112 days one season

Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    We have replaced 7 and upgraded most others, so new lifts are not the priority.
    While we're talking lifts, I really do appreciate the way the Valley House quad was implemented (FG with carpet). It's so great to have a warm, wind protected lift that accesses a great variety of train. I just wish it would run 7 days a week! Thank you Win.

As long as the lifts are running and reliable I don't care if any are upgraded. I'd rather see snowmaking heavily invested in and then, if the red tape could be navigated, some new terrain added. In the main SB thread a potential area or two have already been discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I would think an upgraded drive on Ellen Summit would maybe be the first upgrade if you will (that lift could use a slight speed boost). With regards to CR, while I wouldn't want to see more chairs, I've always felt that lift could spin a bit faster, especially with the huge chair spacing. That would be nice. I cannot see HG going HSQ, FG with a carpet load to bump speed just a hair would be perfect I think.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    A new drive would not make it run faster. They do not run it at its design speed of 550 FPM. The max they can run it at since it's a quad is 450 FPM. The drive will need to be replaced sooner rather than later which might encourage them to bump the speed up a bit. Slide Brook is the fastest lift in terms of design speed, but it only runs at 950 FPM max these days. Its design speed is 1100 FPM. Some days it even runs close to 800. I don't find the speed to be too much of a problem though. At this point, I'm just happy that it runs at all. I'd love to see Alterra reflect the original vision of Otten to have the two ski areas one by running slide brook. It seems as though Ellen and Lincoln have grown apart largely due to the fact that the connector lift hardly ever runs. I'm not going to argue with the safety standards, but it has clearly taken a toll on Mt. Ellen.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidebrook87 View Post
    It seems as though Ellen and Lincoln have grown apart largely due to the fact that the connector lift hardly ever runs. I'm not going to argue with the safety standards, but it has clearly taken a toll on Mt. Ellen.
    It's not the Slide Brook lift running or not running that makes the difference. The fact is that all of the real estate development, updates to the base lodge, ski school facilities, etc. have taken place at Lincoln Peak which for most people is synonymous with Sugarbush.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    It's not the Slide Brook lift running or not running that makes the difference. The fact is that all of the real estate development, updates to the base lodge, ski school facilities, etc. have taken place at Lincoln Peak which for most people is synonymous with Sugarbush.
    Yes, and that is why I say a part of it is due to Slide Brook. A renovation (not replacement) of the Mt. Ellen base lodge would be nice to see. Ellen clearly wins in the dining department though

In my opinion, you could have a heated gondola or a 6-pack bubble chair on the Slide Brook line, and it still wouldn't attract many over to Ellen. Again, with most of the seasonal programs and the lodging and the "village" atmosphere of Lincoln Peak base, that's where most people are going to ski. I've had many many excellent weekdays at the MEllen, and then see double/triple the amount of people at Lincoln.

It may seem like Slide Brook never runs, and I've heard that comment from some guests during my years there, but if the conditions aren't right, it won't run, for safety. Not too long ago, SB was only scheduled to run Fri-Sun and holidays. Then it was upped to, IIRC, every day but Tue-Wed. Then, it became daily once again, as long as conditions permit.

Castlerock actually runs quite fast for a fixed-grip. No way could you turn up that lift in its present configuration.... you'd never be able to "bump" it. It's a challenge as it is and requires skilled operators.

Summit was always one of my favorite lifts... probably because it has the nicest on-mountain view, and I remember some warm spring days in April/May. But truly, North Ridge is best for some nice vertical. I believe the trail map back in 90/91 had the ride time of Summit listed as 6.5 minutes.

In terms of the popularity of Slide Brook, I'm curious to hear about the RFID data now that gates have been installed on all lifts.

Thread Information