Fishing 2020

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2020

Fishing 2020

So since ski season 19-20 got shut down I decided to do some wading and fishing on 3/21. After passing the main parking area which was packed and seeing fly fishermen fishing shoulder to shoulder near the spillway of the East Branch in the bathtub I drove to my more secluded spot at Brady's bend. Nobody there. Parked and wadered up. Had to bushwack downstream to my favorite pool there has been no trimming of pathways yet so it was more like bramble busting and getting to the water required planning.
    EB321202.jpg
    Once I got in to the pool I had targeted it had of course changed over the winter with many snags and logs moved around. My favorite cast was very difficult to line up with a fallen tree guarding the shoreline area I was aiming at. So of course I lost a spinner snagging it on the tree. There are few spots to wade out to the best casts; most of this pool is very deep.
    EB321201.jpg
    This is downstream from the pool. I casted and casted a variety of spinners and Rapalas and didn't get a bite. Nothing has been stocked yet but I was glad for that because if I had gotten a bite it would probably have been a nice fish. Anyway after 3 hours I worked my way back to my pool. And of course I had to push it lining that cast up. I kept walking out towards the center of the pool on a spit of hard bottom...and my next step was into mud quicksand and I was in up to my knees in a flash. So without hesitation I became a swimmer and was lucky that enough of my torso was above water still and my buoyancy popped my legs out from the mud and I swam to shore.
    My neoprene waders are tight so very little water got in and my legs, upper torso and in fact my waders were still dry. But my arms and shoulders got soaked and man that water was COLD. Thusly my fishing day ended.

Always an adventure and I had a great time.

Brought my gear upstate, waiting for 4/1

Sunday looks like it will be a great day! I'm interested to see what places like Roscoe look like this weekend. I'm assuming it may actually be an even bigger opening weekend than normal. Likely won't head up there for a week or 2.

I officially hung up the skis and made the switch to fishing last weekend and got my first day out on South Branch of the Raritan River in NJ. Hopefully these social distancing and travel guidelines don't get too much stricter as I'm certainly hoping to get a few day trips to the Catskills in to keep my sanity. What better example of outdoor recreation that embraces social distancing can you think of than the grumpy flyfisherman standing alone in a river?!

Quote Originally Posted by CastlerockMRV View Post
    Sunday looks like it will be a great day! I'm interested to see what places like Roscoe look like this weekend. I'm assuming it may actually be an even bigger opening weekend than normal. Likely won't head up there for a week or 2.

I officially hung up the skis and made the switch to fishing last weekend and got my first day out on South Branch of the Raritan River in NJ. Hopefully these social distancing and travel guidelines don't get too much stricter as I'm certainly hoping to get a few day trips to the Catskills in to keep my sanity. What better example of outdoor recreation that embraces social distancing can you think of than the grumpy flyfisherman standing alone in a river?!
    Matters how far you have to drive and how many stops along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Matters how far you have to drive and how many stops along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Home -> Car -> River -> Car -> Home.

Blows my mind that anyone would do anything else right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CastlerockMRV View Post
    Home -> Car -> River -> Car -> Home.

Blows my mind that anyone would do anything else right now!

I'm lucky. My routine for a pandemic is home-river-home. But usually home to car to river and back.

Fishkill Creek runs through my property; just stocked last Monday today on my stretch should be good heading out in about an hour.

As for the Beaverkill or Esopus Creek I'm sure those areas will be overrun with fishermen I'll give those places 2-3 weeks.

4/1/20: Opening day on Fishkill creek in my backyard. Hiked downstream to where Dutchess county route 7 crosses over and worked upstream. Water was knee to waist deep in spots and crystal clear. Fished from 7 upstream past my house and east to about 1/2 mile from where the stocking truck was on Monday. Looking west towards route 7:
    FC413.jpg
    Looking east upstream:
    FC417.jpg
    My house
    FC415.jpg
    Looking upstream and east to the pool where I caught my first fish today, a gorgeous 15" holdover brown trout:
    FC414.jpg
    FC412.jpg
    continued...

4/1/20 continued. Moved east and finally started catching stocked fish.
    FC416.jpg
    This pool with a deep undercut bank produced 3 stockies, the biggest was 12".
    FC411.jpg
    Spent 3 hours out and landed a total of 5 trout. All released unharmed.

4/4/20-Another day on Fishkill Creek. More good results in pretty much the same places as a few days ago. Caught 9 trout today.

Ready to go

FC44203.jpg

Heading out

FC44204.jpg

Caught 1 holdover brown trout; well fed (plump yellow and white belly) with defined and colorful brown and red spots

FC44202.jpg

and 8 stocked browns all painfully skinny and pale with poorly defined dark spots

FC44201.jpg

the ones that survive the initial fishing frenzy will fatten up and become more colorful as they feed in the creek.

Welp...cant say Im surprised or strongly disagree but this is a bummer.

Thread Information