Season Pass Options/Considerations - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    I purchased the pass insurance through the IKON website, and the carrier is Redsky. I was required by Redsky to notify IKON that I would be unable to use the pass, and I DID notify IKON of the reason, and that I would be making the insurance claim. After notifying IKON, all other details were between me and Redsky. Redsky did keep the insurance premium money, and as such, I got, through them, what I paid for. This is the payout line from the explanation of benefits:

Service Start Date End Date Amount Claimed Other Insurance Amount Ineligible ReasonCode Deductible Amount Approved
    Ski Lift Tickets 12/01/2019 05/25/2020 $687.94 $0.00 $38.94 1 $0.00 $649.00

It explains I paid IKON 687.94 which covered both the 649 for the pass and the 38.94 for the insurance. The dates of Dec 1, 2019 to May 25 2020 (I Believe) explains the benefit period, and finally the 649 is the insurance payout. I do not seem to have a copy of the insurance contract from last year (I'm sure its a bit different THIS year). So I really cannot tell if I would be violating any provisions. What actually surprises me, is that IKON did not consult with the insurance to see who might have received an insurance refund.

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    If Ikon refunded you actual cash (credit card refund) you would likely have a legal requirement to return the money to the insurance company. Ikon is not going to talk to the insurance company though.

But....it is not a cash refund, it is credit for next season which has questionable value between $0 and the full pass price. Maybe you are never going to use it, in which case the value is $0.

Not sure what your obligations are, if any, and what I would do in your case.
    I believe it is the same; the future services rendered do have a real cash value as unearned revenue. Alterra will record it as a liability on their balance sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post

Most people think of insurance companies as bandits
    Not most normal people.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I believe it is the same; the future services rendered do have a real cash value as unearned revenue. Alterra will record it as a liability on their balance sheet.

Not most normal people.
    While MY case has some ethical questions with regard to it, a person that bought an IKON pass to use in late March or April for a planned ski vacation, and never got to use it, will be thrilled with this email as they got zero use from their pass.

https://rsportalcanada.archinsurance...CFAC784A4F.pdf

The above is the CURRENT link to the insurance coverage. As I read it, I'm in the clear to take the 20-21 pass and use it as the coverage period, as they define it, is over, and I did NOT get to use the pass.

Also, IKON was able to keep my 649.00
    Last edited by Dickc; Jun 4, 2020 at 3:40 PM. Reason: add info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    While MY case has some ethical questions with regard to it, a person that bought an IKON pass to use in late March or April for a planned ski vacation, and never got to use it, will be thrilled with this email as they got zero use from their pass.
    No doubt, those folks got screwed if there's no recompense.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Ikon refunded him nothing, RedSky gave him his pass money back. Ikon kept the pass value originally paid by DickC. The only way insurance fraud would play here is if in some way DickC used his pass or another pass THIS season after saying he was injured. If Ikon decides he is eligible for the zero day pass push (he skied zero days) and he did his duty notifying them he would be unable to use his pass this season (he did), there is no insurance fraud on his part. This is now a business decision by Alterra and I believe DickC is in his rights to accept the 20-21 pass if that is what Alterra does for him. I would think it will come without an insurance coverage option, which would be right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Ikon refunded him nothing, RedSky gave him his pass money back. Ikon kept the pass value originally paid by DickC. The only way insurance fraud would play here is if in some way DickC used his pass or another pass THIS season after saying he was injured. If Ikon decides he is eligible for the zero day pass push (he skied zero days) and he did his duty notifying them he would be unable to use his pass this season (he did), there is no insurance fraud on his part. This is now a business decision by Alterra and I believe DickC is in his rights to accept the 20-21 pass if that is what Alterra does for him. I would think it will come without an insurance coverage option, which would be right.

I agree with this. I would take it.
    2017/2018

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Billo
    I agree with this. I would take it.
    I kind of came to the same conclusion after reading the insurance policy, and looking back over the claim I made. I certainly was not expecting a roll-over from the winter, and was trying to decide if I wanted to pony up for a pass, knowing I could roll it over before December 10. With the new offer, and the new roll over dates. I'm a pretty happy camper!

Is anyone else considering getting multiple passes, and deciding once things get going, whether to use or not? I’ve got a renewal discount for IKON, but am also considering a renewal discounted Boyne NE pass (from 201 because I may do a seasonal rental at Sunday River. I figure if I decide not to do one, I can just roll it over. What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by skicub View Post
    Is anyone else considering getting multiple passes, and deciding once things get going, whether to use or not? I’ve got a renewal discount for IKON, but am also considering a renewal discounted Boyne NE pass (from 201 because I may do a seasonal rental at Sunday River. I figure if I decide not to do one, I can just roll it over. What say ye?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    I'm going from a Killington pass to an Ikon but I already had ideas of doing that.
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Thread Information