• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB: Nass / Stone Road - 10/1, 4:30 pm

o3jeff

Depending on where 2knees is coming from exactly, he could also take Rt 9>Rt 72 into Bristol, then take that over to a right onto 229. Follow to Route 6, then left onto 6, right onto Jerome (right where Friendly's is), left onto Maple, then right onto 69. Or if he wants less turns... 72>229>6>69. But turning onto Jerome>Maple>69 saves a little traffic.

But if they are meeting at Stone, he should stay on Jerome, left on S Main street, right on main street, then right on stone road.

Greg

Staff member
For the guys coming from points south, it would make more sense IMHO to get off at the Thomaston exit for Route 6 and take that to Route 69. Otherwise, you're doing a lot of backtracking. And with the bridge work going on just north of Northfield (where the Southbound lane has been diverted into part of Northbound) at least then you'll skip that headache.

Again, JMHO...

I get on route 8 right at the bridge work. Not much of an issue so far. I am worried about how that area is going to back up on snowy days on the way to Sundown this season though! ;) The crossover section seems pretty permanent so I think that construction will persist through the winter.

Anyway, I still think exit 42 is a better route to Nass for the SW CT travelers. Traveling Route 6 through Terryville and into Bristol can be slow in spots.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
But if they are meeting at Stone, he should stay on Jerome, left on S Main street, right on main street, then right on stone road.
Thanks for the correction. I've never been to the Stone Rd section of Nass.

Greg - I think with where you're coming from, it might make sense seeing as you're still a bit north of the exit I mentioned (you live down the road from my sister :D). Depending on the time of day, Route 6 can be harry. But if you're meeting up at 4/4:30PM, it shouldn't be a problem. Certainly no worse than getting stuck behind a slow person on 118 and Route 4 where I think there's only 1 or 2 passing zones from Rt 8 to 69.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the correction. I've never been to the Stone Rd section of Nass.

Greg - I think with where you're coming from, it might make sense seeing as you're still a bit north of the exit I mentioned (you live down the road from my sister :D). Depending on the time of day, Route 6 can be harry. But if you're meeting up at 4/4:30PM, it shouldn't be a problem. Certainly no worse than getting stuck behind a slow person on 118 and Route 4 where I think there's only 1 or 2 passing zones from Rt 8 to 69.

You, Brian and the kids should stop by if you're ever visiting your sister...

I just like 118/4 better than 6 and would go that way even if I was coming from south of Thomaston.

rueler

you can get into Stone from either side...there's some gnarly potholes coming from the Main Street side. For the person that asked the easiest way to Stone from Scoville...take a right onto route 69 from Scoville...when you get to the Y in the road (where riders cross to get into Sessions and vice versa) take a left onto Reservoir Road. At the bottom of that hill, you will cross a little bridge and Stone Road will be on your left. Once on it, keep driving it until it starts looking like you're in the Blair Witch Project...you'll pass an old transient drunk tank jail house on the left...not too far after that, you'll see the bigger sandy lot that's full of brush that hessians dump there. That's where most dudes park.

What time you guys riding again??

Grassi21

Good place to stick that Grassi character when he gets out of hand. ;)

Seriously, thanks for the link. Interesting read.

I thought that was an interesting read as well. Although I have been arrested twice I was never placed in a holding cell.

bvibert

Staff member

Yes, that's the best way to go if coming from that area, IMHO

Anyway, I still think exit 42 is a better route to Nass for the SW CT travelers. Traveling Route 6 through Terryville and into Bristol can be slow in spots.

You don't take 6 into Bristol, you turn off in Terryville, onto the road their High and Middle schools are on. There's never really any congestion up until that point. Both Lamson and Stone are easy to get to from there, with no traffic. It's definitely faster for me to go that way when I'm coming from Watertown.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You don't take 6 into Bristol, you turn off in Terryville, onto the road their High and Middle schools are on. There's never really any congestion up until that point. Both Lamson and Stone are easy to get to from there, with no traffic. It's definitely faster for me to go that way when I'm coming from Watertown.
I knew you would have the better route from Rt 6 in that direction. I can't remember the road names to tell how to go that way, but it's likely faster.

bvibert

Staff member
you can get into Stone from either side...there's some gnarly potholes coming from the Main Street side. For the person that asked the easiest way to Stone from Scoville...take a right onto route 69 from Scoville...when you get to the Y in the road (where riders cross to get into Sessions and vice versa) take a left onto Reservoir Road. At the bottom of that hill, you will cross a little bridge and Stone Road will be on your left. Once on it, keep driving it until it starts looking like you're in the Blair Witch Project...you'll pass an old transient drunk tank jail house on the left...not too far after that, you'll see the bigger sandy lot that's full of brush that hessians dump there. That's where most dudes park.

You definitely need to watch out for the potholes on the upper part of Stone when coming from Main st. I thought a couple might swallow my car up... Ok maybe that's an exaggeration, but I was afraid of breaking something in them...

If you're already at Scoville the route you suggested is the best, but for him that would mean some backtracking, there's easier ways to go. Sounds like he's gonna stick with Greg's lame 118 directions so I guess it doesn't matter much anyway. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like the rain has mostly moved out. Gonna be damp, but not a wash-out...

Hopefully it holds off and you guys have a good ride. Gonna take that drop in the newish section tonight?

Greg

Staff member
Hopefully it holds off and you guys have a good ride. Gonna take that drop in the newish section tonight?

I'm definitely going to look at it again. I want to see someone hit it first to gauge where I might land.