• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Niar

dmc

Knowing how you love bumps, you don't know what you're missing. Slush explosions!

Bump skiing in the rain is sublime... If you can see... I'm usually fine in the rain unless i can't see..

gmcunni

Knowing how you love bumps, you don't know what you're missing. Slush explosions!

rain is evil. mid season it means frozen conditions to follow when the temp returns to normal. at the end of the season it means precious snow is melting away, not to be recovered until the following season.

4aprice

rain is evil. mid season it means frozen conditions to follow when the temp returns to normal. at the end of the season it means precious snow is melt away, not to be recovered until the following season.

A little conditioning of the bumps will take care of that. Camelback did that just before this warm up and it paid big dividends this past weekend. I expect they'll do it again when the temps drop next week. Hopefully mother nature will start to cooperate too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Greg

Staff member
rain is evil. mid season it means frozen conditions to follow when the temp returns to normal. at the end of the season it means precious snow is melting away, not to be recovered until the following season.

I'm not saying that I want it to rain, but like I said in my first post, you can't control it, so you might as well enjoy it!
:spread:

gmcunni

I'm not saying that I want it to rain, but like I said in my first post, you can't control it, so you might as well enjoy it!
:spread:

if i really want to over analyze it i'd say it was gloves and goggles that give me trouble and turn me off from skiing in the rain. i have a pretty good jacket that is waterproof and i can probably deal with a wet but butt when my gloves start to weigh 10 pounds each and the foam around my goggles has soaked up so much water that it simply runs down into my eyes i've had enough.

if i lived close enough to the mountain with a pass i'd probably tough it out for a few hours. but if i'm planning things out and rain is highly likely i'll skip the long drive and save the $75 for another day.

bvibert

Staff member
if i'm planning things out and rain is highly likely i'll skip the long drive and save the $75 for another day.

I'm with you there. I have no problem skiing in the rain, but I'm not likely to drive any sort of distance and/or pay a bunch of money just to do so.

As far as gloves go; I'm not sure that wet gloves are avoidable. Even my Gore-Tex gloves get soaked after a while. Then I just deal with it, even wet they still provide enough insulation to combat the relatively warm temperatures when it's raining. Can't say I've ever had the rain down the goggles part, I think the helmet prevents that from happening.

o3jeff

It doesn't bother me, skied in it yesterday morning. The biggest problem for me is seeing with the rain all over the goggles and the lift rides suck.

Glenn

I'll deal with showers, but not a steady all day event. We keep trashbag ponchos in our Transpacks...just in case.

I will say, it kept the crowds down on Sunday @ Mt. Snow.

Geoff

I suspect many of the pro-rain vote have season passes. Would you have the same opinion if you had to buy each ticket?

Probably not. As an every-weekend warrior other'n the odd year I take off, I head out even if it's only to ski a few runs in a downpour. Often times, it's way better than I was expecting and I stay out all day. You also hit those days where it's raining at the house and snowing a little bit higher up. I've also hit days where it was socked in and drizzling low and sunny at the top. You never know if you don't go. If you are shelling out money for a day ticket, you're much more likely to bag it.