• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice On Where To Go w/Girlfriend

skifastinvt

Good thoughts out there. The fact that you are planning your trip mid-week makes almost anyplace a good call You should be able to get a great deal on some beautiful accommodations and have a uncrowded ski experience. You didn't mention how close your lodging needs to be to the resort. My suggestions would vary greatly if you prefer a "ski-in/ski-out" experience to a romantic country inn. Yes, a private lesson is a good idea. Honestly, I would both go your own way for the first few mornings, then ski together in the PM. Let your girlfriend have her first lessons solo. There will be less pressure and she will feel more comfortable with her instructor. Feel free to take a private lesson yourself. They are a great refresher. Here are a few additional thoughts...

Manchester, VT. (Stratton/Bromley) The Equinox hotel in Manchester is a romantic hotel sure to impress, close to great dining, upscale (not like north conway) shopping and close to skiing. They have a great mid-week special http://equinox.rockresorts.com/specialsinfo.asp?ck=ski&packageId=370

Bretton Woods (Mt. Washington Hotel) is a romantic choice. The ski experience would be great. In my opinion, social/dining options are a bit limited without a drive to North Conway.

I'm not a big fan of Waterville, but they do have some nice teaching terrain. The village has some decent lodging options, but dining is limited

Burke is an excellent choice (I used to live there). The teaching terrain can't be beat. Midweek skiing will be like your private Mt. There are some excellent romantic country inns (Mt. view creamery, wildflower inn) located nearby and a few great restaurants right in town.

Closer to home, some of the best teaching terrain is located at Sunapee and Ragged. Lodging and dining options are somewhat limited however.

RossiSkier

Mount Snow stinks for beginners. The Discovery area is lame. Killington and Okemo have good beginner areas. Killington has SnowShed, very large beginner's area and it's a party up and down the access road. Okemo has almost the same but Ludlow is as boring as it get's.

----------K I L L I N G T O N----------

WWF-VT

If you want "romantic, rustic, scenic" then I have to agree with noski on a trip to the Mad River Valley. The villages of Warren and Waitsfield have a lot to offer. You'll have great beginner terrain and ski school at Sugarbush. There are a variety of lodging choices and restaurants.

freeheelwilly

Man the bias on this board is often palpable. Two pages so far and nobody even mentioned Whiteface/Lake Placid. Big Mountain skiing but lots of beginner/intermediate terrain, great ski school, quaint village rich in history tucked into the folds of truly mountainous terrain; soaring, rock scarred peaks visible from all over town. Fantastic dining, romantic dog sled rides on Mirror Lake, bob sledding, ice skating on the Olympic Oval; this place is magical. It's about as un-Walmart as you can get. And although $ is not a factor, they have this fantastic "Winter Passport" deal goin' on that gets you into many Olympic Venues, ski passes, tabboganing on the Lake and more. Just google it or let me know and I'll get you a link. Many of the other places mentioned are worthy but if you don't consider WF/LP you're blowin' it! :beer: They held two Winter Olympics here - not by accident.

pepperdawg

Stratton with the Fake - European Pedestrian Village and well maintained groomers might fit the bill nicely for what you are looking for....also modern lifts...etc..etc..etc...

freeheelwilly

pepperdawg said:
Stratton with the Fake - European Pedestrian Village and well maintained groomers might fit the bill nicely for what you are looking for....also modern lifts...etc..etc..etc...

Stratton embraces corporate skiing. It wallows in it. It's got lots of competitors, mostly in Southern Vermont, but in the end it is easily the most unoriginal resort in the East. Stay far away. That place is just gross.:angry:

Stowe: Much better advice.

pepperdawg

I agree 100%

The poster hasent skied in 10 years and his chick has never skied....It does have a certain gaperappeal without the big box feel....romantic...decent places to eat etc...

Nice wide flat mowed down groomers to learn on....

meat

One that is totally getting overlooked, probably because not many people know about it, is King Pine and Purity Spring Resort in E. Madison NH. This area is unique, new englandish, and is tucked away way off the beaten path, but with all of the resort emenities at your finger tips. There isn't even a gas station within 15 minutes, but you are only 20 mins away from n. conway, and its only I think a little over 2-2 1/2 hours from beantown. In fact it was the first place I skied 20 years ago and I've been hooked ever since. There really is all the emenities from tubing, skating, pools, bars, massages, X-C skiing, and a bunch more. The hill is also very unintimidating it is only about 350 vert, but it skis fun and you could probably take your GF to the top the first day with plenty of options, just don't make a wrong turn down pitch pine. I seriouly think that this is exactly what your looking for. Burke is also a good option, but I think this is better, and you don't have to drive by a Mcdonalds when you get off exit 23. I think the site is www.purityspringresort.com, it really is worth a look.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
freeheelwilly said:
pepperdawg said:

Stratton embraces corporate skiing. It wallows in it.

My 2nd & 3rd days on skis were at Stratton, and I have to say the instruction was excellent, which for a begginner is the real make or break factor. However, for a romantic getaway it is not the spot at all.

If you can stand the 4-5 hour drive, you might enjoy Belleayre as a excellent mountain for learning, but with a rustic wilderness feel. If you are there midweek, then your $20 group lesson will probably be a private one.

http://www.belleayre.com/
http://www.skimag.com/skimag/travel_east/article/0,12795,931922-2,00.html
You could stay at any of the nearby quaint catskill villages, or take the half hour drive back in time to woodstock. Still very artsy with a smattering of hippies still in residence.

http://www.woodstockchamber.com/

masshole

Website
www.freelovemd.com
Burke For Now

Ok, after all the great advice from everyone I have tentatively chosen Burke. :)

The earliest we can go up there is Tuesday afternoon which would get us there Tuesday night. The plan is to stay Tuesday night, ski all day Wednesday, ski all day Thursday, ski all day or half day Friday and leave Friday afternoon.

Now I have some questions on how to go about this while saving some money.

NOTE: I looked at the Burke website, as well as the Wildflower Inn website so I am aware of all the information/prices provided on those websites. These questions are for someone who lives there or frequents there and can give me advice beyond what is already on the websites.

Questions:

Where should we stay?

I looked at the Wildflower Inn and it looks like it fits the bill. Anyone know of any special packages or deals I can get through them? I know they have different rooms in different buildings there, anyone recommend a specific room? Or any other places you recommend we stay that might be better?

Ski/Stay Package?

Should I get a Ski/Stay Package from Wildflower Inn or one of the others or is it cheaper to pay for them separately?

Rentals?

If we both will be renting skis, boots, poles for three days will they give us any kind of package deal not mentioned on the website?

Lift tickets?

Any kind of special mid-week three day package on lift tickets, or should I just go with the ski/stay?

Private lessons?

I figure two hours of private lessons for both of us on the first day would be good? Possibly getting them separate from each other to maximize learning, maybe one hour for me, two for her? Any recommendations about this? Any way to save money on the private lessons?

Dining?

I think at Wildflower Inn they include dinner in one of there packages. Any other recommendations on places to eat?

Advice concerning anything else feel free to chime in.

Thanks again everyone :)

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Re: Burke For Now

masshole said:
Questions:

Where should we stay?

I looked at the Wildflower Inn and it looks like it fits the bill.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review?geo=57311&detail=82608
Private lessons?

I figure two hours of private lessons for both of us on the first day would be good? Possibly getting them separate from each other to maximize learning, maybe one hour for me, two for her? Any recommendations about this? Any way to save money on the private lessons?

Often, you can walk up to the counter and enroll at the last minute for a group clinic. The trick is to ask how many people are already signed up. If nobody is, then you will pay a group rate for essentially a private lesson. If there are already folks signed up you can still can go for the private lesson.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, if you're doing Burke, best to do a package through Wildflower. One stop shopping. Don't waste your $$$ on private lessons. Why? Because Burke will be empty and a group lesson at $30 will get you a private lesson. I took my significant other to Burke for her lessons. Wildflower is a good option and Burke is my home mountain. I just hope we get more snow :roll: Good restaurant options: Juniper's at Wildflower, Rivergarden, or Tamarack's at the mountain. I've heard many, many good things about Tamarack's.

Mad River Valley is a good option, but Burke is easier to get to and probably a bit cheaper.

As for specific room choices, I have no idea. Have not been up to the Wildflower in quite some time.

noski

thetrailboss said:
Mad River Valley is a good option, but Burke is easier to get to and probably a bit cheaper.
:beer: Thanks for the vote, TB. Midweek, I tell ya, lift and lodging packages are cheap, even here! They can come here next time... (burke is easier to get to??? From where, Ferdinand? :wink: )

masshole

Website
www.freelovemd.com
Well searching the internet for Burke Mountain I found these negatives listed by a reviewer:

1. While Burke get decent natural snow its snow making abilities are somewhat poor as it does not have the money to blow snow the way some other mountains might.

I don't want to get there next week and be faced with awful skiing conditions.

2. The infastructure at Burke is poor, lodges are small and dirty and lifts are for the most part old and slow.

3. It has lots of old ugly beat up condos that real estate agents had to pretty much give away and thus act as a real eyesore.

Should I be concerned about these issues?

thebigo

I have not been to burke since the sale but my lasting memory of burke is poor snow quality. With the weather we're experiencing this week you will be best suited at a resort that is aggressive with their snow making. I think the suggestion of Bretton Woods was a good one. In full disclosure I have not skied there in years, but they are known for their snowmaking and I remember high quality snow. Their terrain is incredibly lame but that also makes for an excellent learning mountain. Also check out the Mt Washington Hotel and as previously mentioned your GF will most likely enjoy a trip through the taxfree outlets on the way home. Whatever hill you choose make sure you GF is warm. Its my experience that cold weather can scare away many a skier before they get to enjoy the sport and also dont forget to let us know how your trip went when you get back.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
freeheelwilly said:
Man the bias on this board is often palpable. Two pages so far and nobody even mentioned Whiteface/Lake Placid.
do you have ANY idea of far of a drive whiteface is from south eastern MA? i mean, SERIOUSLY?!?!!? this isn't bias, this is being realisitc!

some have suggested the mad river valley which essentially means sugarbush as even though MRG has beginner terrain, i still wouldn't recommend the place for a first timer and beginner combo. i have no idea what the bush offers for beginner terrain and packages, but bush does have a high price tag. personally, i don't like the mad river valley (though, i do LOVE mrg and enjoy bush south but don't ski there much due to price). i know i'll get hell for it, but the mad river valley just doesn't do it for me. i can see how some people would like it. not trying to vote against it here, just offering a differing opinion and wanted to point out this is an expensive option. no more expensive than BW i would guess, but i think the learning experience at BW would be even better with more beginner oriented terrain and superior views. just my two cents.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
this guy isn't looking for stratton. period. also, no need to drive 4-5 hours to belleayre when so much high quality right up this guy's alley is within 3-4 hours. stowe may be an okay option, long drive from south eastern MA and pricey.

the drive should really be considered here folks. first time skier? us die hards drive 2-3 hours no problem, but does a first time skier want to spend 4-5 hours in a car? i think closer options should merit more consideration considering we have a first timer involved.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
noski said:
(burke is easier to get to??? From where, Ferdinand? :wink: )
with exception of ascutney, burke is probably one of the easiest VT areas to get from from the boston area, where masshole is coming from. definitely faster and easier than MRV.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
masshole said:
1. While Burke get decent natural snow its snow making abilities are somewhat poor as it does not have the money to blow snow the way some other mountains might.
burke had a substantial snow making pipe investment under it's new management. if not for the recent rain, burke would have been nearly 100% open this week which is crazy. if you are looking to book a trip any time after january, expect full coverage easily, will probably have full coverage by next month pending no thaw or more rain. burke recently was bought out by a resort company and while money was an issue in the past, burke isn't slimping this year from what i have seen. this comment is very dated.

2. The infastructure at Burke is poor, lodges are small and dirty and lifts are for the most part old and slow.
again, a VERY dated comment. burke recently had a new High Speed Quad installed in the learning/beginner area. while the other lifts are on the older side, i have no idea what the "dirty" comment is about and question the reviewers ability to identify well maintained lifts. the summit quad is indeed slow, though it services only intermediate and expert terrain. only one trail is doable for a beginner from the summit, and that is deer run. you need not worry about the lifts, they will suit your needs fine. also, the base lodge was completely renovated this year and is amazing featuring a fairly upscale and very nice restaurant upstairs.[/quote]

3. It has lots of old ugly beat up condos that real estate agents had to pretty much give away and thus act as a real eyesore.
i have never found the condos to be beat up or eye sores. they were given away because the ownership of the mountain had been in doubt so often and the mountain lacked investment. with the new owners, you can expect real estate prices to jump through the roof, but that is beside the point. the point is i don't think the condos look beat up.

but that is beside the point since you are going with the wildflower inn, which i understand is a great inn to stay at. try to get an all inclusive package through the inn, that is your best bet. they will take care of you for sure. trailboss has excellent advice that a group lesson may yield a private lesson, but it is not a guarantee. in the worst case, the group would be no more than a few people. tough call to make.

for restaurants, again i highly recommend the miss lyndonville dinner in lyndonville on route 5 which is just around the corner from wildflower in (.25 miles tops). great place for breakfast with huge surving sizes and respectable prices. tamarack grill just opened at burke and should likely be on your to do list for dinner. i have not eatten there but will soon, i have heard nothing but good things. for dinner, saint johnsbury is about 10 minutes south of lyndonville and offers some great selections. Elements (http://www.elementsfood.com/) is probably the best dining in the area (expect $18-20 a plate) and is known for a good wine selection. more reasonable dining at Goodfellas on Route 2 (technically in danville i think) is a fantastic option for great priced dinners (they are not open tuesdays for the record).

if you feel the need to veg out with a movie, saint johnsbury has the star theatre with 3 screens featuring popular current movies and catamount arts has an indie flick running.

best of luck, i can try to field any other questions about the area but trailbass is a much more qualified resident expert. i am just a recent transplant ;)