• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official Blizzard of 2006 Discussion Thread

Zand

Snowfall over 6" is likely and even over a foot is possible! WINTER'S BACK!!!

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I was wondering how long this would take to come up!!

I've been watching this bad boy for a while now, and listening to what others have to say. Seems like best case scenario it would be somewhat comparable to the December 9th storm, quick hitting (9hrs) with some Thundersnow and 4 or so hours of blizzard like conditions. BEST CASE SCENARIO Here is the accum map for that storm. Jack pot totals would be somewhere in South OR Central New England.
pnsPlot.DEC9_2005.plt.png

Worst case, it would graze us and go out to sea.

I think Matt Noyes of NECN has a great handle on New England storms, I encourage you to read his blog if you have more indepth questions, he does a really good job of forecasting amounts and has great in-depth discussions. http://mattnoyes.blogs.com/

-Porter

skibum1321

salida said:

I've been watching this bad boy for a while now, and listening to what others have to say. Seems like best case scenario it would be somewhat comparable to the December 9th storm, quick hitting (9hrs) with some Thundersnow and 4 or so hours of blizzard like conditions. BEST CASE SCENARIO Here is the accum map for that storm. Jack pot totals would be somewhere in South OR Central New England.

I think Matt Noyes of NECN has a great handle on New England storms, I encourage you to read his blog if you have more indepth questions, he does a really good job of forecasting amounts and has great in-depth discussions. http://mattnoyes.blogs.com/

-Porter
It looks like we should be hitting the jackpot in Nashua with 101" from that map.
I'm still pissed about these southern storms though. Let's get a Nor'Easter to track inland an actually bring snow. Or at least some stronger Alberta Clippers. Throw me a freakin bone mother nature.

Skippa

yeah sounds like here in NH we might get quite a bit of snow on Saturday night. Like Zand said, up to a foot in areas.

neutron

From the Roemer report on sugarloaf.com

LATE SATURDAY NIGHT & SUNDAY: Possible nor'easter, most models give us 7-14" by Sunday and Sunday night. However, my official forecast is for 4-8" with a 50% chance for >8".

Skippa

Yeah, it always seems like we get way less than what they say. Like it'll say 14" and we'll get 6. :D :eek:

dmc

Skippa said:
Yeah, it always seems like we get way less than what they say. Like it'll say 14" and we'll get 6. :D :eek:

Must be a dude doing the forecasting... :)

ctenidae

So, what are the chances I'll be "stuck" at Jay Saturday night? We're (mostly) planning on driving back after skiing Saturday, but I'd rather not do it in a blizzard, if can help it.

Skifastsailfast

Geeze, you guys... now that you've sufficiently hyped up this weekend's weather forecast, that bastard will head out to sea and give us nothin'!! Yer jynxing us!

I hope I am proven wrong.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
skibum1321 said:
salida said:

-Porter
It looks like we should be hitting the jackpot in Nashua with 101" from that map.
I'm still pissed about these southern storms though. Let's get a Nor'Easter to track inland an actually bring snow. Or at least some stronger Alberta Clippers. Throw me a freakin bone mother nature.

Good let's hit Indian Head in Pepperell. 200' of vertical!

dmc

Skifastsailfast said:
Geeze, you guys... now that you've sufficiently hyped up this weekend's weather forecast, that bastard will head out to sea and give us nothin'!! Yer jynxing us!

I hope I am proven wrong.

It's going to be big..
All the signs point to major dumpage...

skibum1321

ctenidae said:
So, what are the chances I'll be "stuck" at Jay Saturday night? We're (mostly) planning on driving back after skiing Saturday, but I'd rather not do it in a blizzard, if can help it.
Well in terms of snow in VT, I don't think it should be an issue. Once you hit southern NH and Mass you might hit some problems. Is being "stuck" at Jay really an issue though?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
skibum1321 said:
ctenidae said:
Well in terms of snow in VT, I don't think it should be an issue. Once you hit southern NH and Mass you might hit some problems. Is being "stuck" at Jay really an issue though?

Sweet. That'll be me driving home from Cannon tomorrow.

I don't worry about me getting stuck, I worry about the other idiots who have lived in New England all their lives and still have yet to figure out how to drive in the snow.