• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A flatlander storm Wednesday?

Bandit2941

patches of dirt at the base on Bell's web cam.
I was there yesterday, really good skiing but also really thin in places even where they made snow. A large amount of snow was lost from weds-thurs before any rain fell. The snowmaking on Wanatuska and onteora mids got a lot of help from the storm and now that’s gone. This storm is really going to hurt. Can only hope for a fast recovery.

Bandit2941

And it gets even worse...

An avalanche came from lower onteora and went through the Overlook lodge! Blew the windows out, took doors off the hinges and appears to have went right out the other side. Feet of snow on the floor of the lodge.

Heartbreaking for this season, but it looks like ORDA will be building yet another new lodge...

ScottySkis

And it gets even worse...

An avalanche came from lower onteora and went through the Overlook lodge! Blew the windows out, took doors off the hinges and appears to have went right out the other side. Feet of snow on the floor of the lodge.

Heartbreaking for this season, but it looks like ORDA will be building yet another new lodge...
Where did u hear that

ScottySkis

I think it might be sarcasm hahaha. I told my family I may not be working tomorrow and was asked "because of the rain?" to which I said "well it's not because of the extreme avalanche danger".
From BellFlat Facebook

""Dear Belleayre Friends and Family,

After a tremendous amount of rain and high winds, which has severely impacted our ability to operate in the current environment, The Christmas storm has dumped over 6.5 inches of rain on Belleayre.

This morning, supersaturated snow from the Yahoo trail let loose and slid into the Overlook Lodge. The lodge sustained significant damage, with windows and doors broken. No injuries have been reported.

The mountain will remain closed for the 26th of December as we are unable to provide a safe environment for our guests. The operations team is working diligently to manage the current situation and help the mountain recover quickly as we head into the rest of the holiday week.

For those of you that had tickets for the 26th, please complete the Customer Service form and we will get back to you with regards to your purchases as soon as possible. As we continue to adjust resort operations, we will continue to prioritize the safety of our guests and our staff. Moving forward we are encouraging our guests to please check back on our website with regards to any pertinent updates!

The mountain is currently planning to reopen on Sunday the 27th.

jg17

That's pretty wild. Except for the very top pitch, it looks like nothing on that run is even close to typical avy slope angle. I guess the lift wasn't damaged since they didn't mention it, so at least there's a bright spot.

raisingarizona

That's pretty wild. Except for the very top pitch, it looks like nothing on that run is even close to typical avy slope angle. I guess the lift wasn't damaged since they didn't mention it, so at least there's a bright spot.

wet slides are a different beast. They can run like slow moving lava across long stretches of low angle terrain.

Cornhead

The mighty Susquehanna has spared us...this time. 41" of snowmelt combined with I'm guessing 3" of rain has swollen the river to near flooding. We were flooded in 2006, and again in 2011, but both were in warm weather months. If the river flooded this time we'd have been in a world of hurt. Hot water baseboard, and regular water lines, would've been in jeopardy with temps falling into the teens tonight. We debated draining everything, but decided if it did flood, we would try to keep the pipes from freezing with kerosene heaters. Not sure it would've work however. No flooding was by far my best Christmas present this year.IMG_20201225_142732056.jpg
The water was up to the floor of this deck in 2006. River at 25ft.
IMG_20201225_142716099.jpg
Funny, before the flood of 2006, the river at this height wouldn't even raised concern. A little shell shocked since then. Global warming? Could be, hadn't flooded, other than ice jams, in 27 yrs before 2006.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wow my mistake. I've never heard of rain causing a slab avalanche. Snowmaking avalanches on steep terrain are not totally uncommon (Devil's Fiddle at Killington and a very steep run at Kissing Bridge both slid in the past 15ish years iirc). But Yahoo is begign.