• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

An experience at Windham Mountain

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
I was skiing at Windham and was having a great time, not a bad place on the ungroomed trails, anyway listen to this: I was talking to this ski patrol guy who said he had been working there 20 years. We get to the top of the lift and we see Hunter and I said I loved Hunter. The patroller then goes to tell me how much he hates it and I ask him why and he lists a bunch of stuff then says he has never skied there and never will. I find that weird...LOL he has worked down the road for 20 years and can see it from his mountain, why not check it out just ONCE :) anyway, just wanted to share that.

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
I find a lot of folks "hate" a resort because they go when conditions are poor. Then you hear things like "the snow there sucks" or "they groom too much" or "they kept a lot of terrain closed". And then that resort sucks forever. A few years ago I drove 8 hours from NY to Maine to ski Sugarloaf and Sunday River, first time I had ever been to either place. The conditions were horrible, days of warmth followed by a deep freeze. Everything open and skiable was pretty much groomed except for a few areas where enough snow blew onto ungroomed surfaces to make it decent, for a few hours anyway. The conditions were so bad I cut the trip short and came home a few days early. As bad as I felt the trip was, I never felt either mountain had any part regarding my negative feelings. You win some, you lose some. Haven't been back to SR but skied SL again last year and it was awesome.

ScottySkis

Windhams cool. Smoked a lot of dubes riding the bubble chair back in the day.

Wasn't as easy to roll at Hunter.

I smoked a lot on Hunter, tripple chair, or just go in to some trees, I only been to Windham once and it was holiday day so I can't judge because of crowded it was.

catskills

It does not surprise me "some" of the Windham ski patrol would say that. It is too bad because I am sure that any Patroller from Windham would enjoy Hunter's steep trails after either natural or man made snow. Oh well. There loss.

Windham has always catered to the 1% high end of America's class structure. For many years Windham had a better looking town and Hunter was run down. The village of Hunter has made significant improvements over recent years. You still hear comments in Windham about how run down Hunter is. A lot has changed but the people have not.

BenedictGomez

This is definitely an appropriate place for, "Cool Story Bro".

cool-story-bro_854.gif

Shredder of Gnar

It does not surprise me "some" of the Windham ski patrol would say that. It is too bad because I am sure that any Patroller from Windham would enjoy Hunter's steep trails after either natural or man made snow. Oh well. There loss.

Ha, I really doubt that 1/2 of the Whimpham patrollers could even ski the Hunter steeps! :)

BenedictGomez

Can you elaborate? Honestly not sure what you are doubting or trying to say.

I've met some really nice people at Hunter, and I've also met some douchebags.
I've only been to Windham once (last year), but I did meet some really great people there, and there were also some douchebags.

It's the same at ANY resort.

Dont really see how this is thread-worthy, and this stuff usually just serves as a hopping-off point for a conversation that turns into a derogatory and localized (literally) pissing match. Just my 2¢.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
I totally agree with you, but this is not about Windham or Hunter, it is about someone who can live next to a ski area and never try it.

twinplanx

I totally agree with you, but this is not about Windham or Hunter, it is about someone who can live next to a ski area and never try it.

I lived in Ludlow for two winters, worked on the hill. It still does not cease to amaze me the amount of native Vermonters who do NOT ski at all. The majority of my coworkers saw Okemo as solely there work place and the LAST place they would spend there day off. I on the other hand, felt my ski pass was the WHOLE reason I worked there. Not the same as the OP, just one of those things I will never get. Kinda like growing up on an island and not knowing how to swim.

dmc

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see..

I'd venture to say most Hunter Mountain Ski Patrollers don't have anything bad to say about Windham...
Or if they did it was based upon an actual experience..

I can't stand Windham - not for me... But I've actually been there..

catskills

I can't stand Windham - not for me... But I've actually been there..

Out of the four Catskills ski resorts Windham is at the bottom of my personal list. That said I still ski at Windham every couple of years just to try something different. For the intermediate skiers/riders I think Windham has a lot to offer. Every mountain fills a niche market. Nothing beats Plattekill in the Catskills on a Saturday after 18 inches of powder. Then again if you made it to any ski area by 8:00am after 18 inches of powder I guarantee it don't matter what ski area it is. Nothing is going to stop the big huge grin on your face. :grin:

dmc

I'll never go out of my way to diss another mountain to someone I just met or ever really.
I'll chime in on threads but I won't start them..

Sometimes I find people I meet from Windham are kinda like that... And I don't know why...
I know people that WERE Hunter people and switched and immediately ... It's all about how Hunter sucks..

I could live my entire life happily without knowing some dork ski patroller at Windham feels about a place he's never been...
Reeks of lameness...

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
This is not about Hunter or Windham, it is about people who go their whole lives skiing a mountain and never go to another area you can see from their home mountain. THAT is lame. BTW I love your icon!

I'll never go out of my way to diss another mountain to someone I just met or ever really.
I'll chime in on threads but I won't start them..

Sometimes I find people I meet from Windham are kinda like that... And I don't know why...
I know people that WERE Hunter people and switched and immediately ... It's all about how Hunter sucks..

I could live my entire life happily without knowing some dork ski patroller at Windham feels about a place he's never been...
Reeks of lameness...

JimG.

Staff member
A lot of Hunter people left when Karl Plattner lost the ski school franchise and he went over to Windham. He had a loyal following and there was a lot of animosity towards Hunter. I remember that time well. Hard to believe it still lingers. I've skied at Windham, it's OK for a day or 2. But I couldn't have a season pass there.