• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anybody else holding back this year?

Whitey

I am usually one of the ones who "pushes" to get out and ski. But this year I have held back and haven't even skied a day yet. I work for one of the 2 major package delivery companies out there, so the Nov/Dec time is tough for me anyway (we are crushed then) and I usually can't make it out until Xmas. But I usually push to get out as soon as 12/25 comes and work slows down.

But this year, with limited terrain and expensive lift tickets, I just haven't felt the "push" to ski grabbing a hold of me yet. And I'm not a fair weather skier, I've skied ice/rocks/thin and always managed to have some degree of fun. I even skied Bradford/Nashoba as my kids were learning/growing up and didn't complain and made the most out of it. I even have new skis that I bought in March of last year waiting to get used.

For me, this year seems it may be a tipping point for me on the price. If I had a season pass or was trying to use up vouchers, I'd be out there. But paying even the discounted rates for daily tickets for a group of 4 (or more) is expensive. I'm looking at $500 (or more) for just me and my family (4 ppl) getting out for a day trip (lift tix, food, gas, etc).

Just haven't been ready to pull the trigger yet. But soon. . . (this weekend).

VTKilarney

I don't blame you one bit. I would have had a very hard time justifying the day ticket rate so far this season. Lots of people here insist that any day on skis is a great day and that the problem is you if you don't have an absolute blast in lousy conditions. That's hogwash. Ask those same people to sit home on a powder day and you'll quickly see their hypocrisy. Save your money and spend it on days that will be more enjoyable than what has been on offer so far this season. I can think of a lot better things to do with $500 than ski a WROD. Of course my home hill only has one actual trail with snow made on the main mountain, so I'm a little biased.

farlep99

I live 7mi from a major resort & haven't gotten out yet. What's being offered isn't worth the money in my mind. I'm sticking to Nordic stuff until winter arrives...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've got a 9 month old. I'm a bit more choosy mostly because of him. The weather makes those decisions easier though.

hammer

Have only tried to get out once so far, and that's only because the tickets were $19pp. If I had a pass I would have been out already, but I'd rather not head out and pay over $50pp to ski a WROD. I might have to change my mind in a few weeks, however...

cdskier

I have 7 days in...but I have a season pass and had vacation days to use up in December. If I didn't have a pass and had to pay per day then I would most likely not have skied yet either.

Smellytele

It has been very hard to get the wife out this year. She has only gone twice but I have 9 days. I would never pay what they are charging for what they have offered. Went to Waterville Saturday. I paid 70 for both my son and I together. I would never had paid the 77 they were charging for an adult. Not sure what the kid price was.

VTKilarney

Should ski areas be more flexible with their pricing if conditions are lousy? Airlines constantly adjust rates based on demand, so why don't ski areas? There isn't much difference between an empty airplane seat and an empty chairlift seat. Liftopia is a start, but it is much more forward looking.

Killington was packed over the Christmas holiday (due to very limited terrain), so I don't blame them for keeping prices high. But for other resorts, when you see all of the people who stayed home based on price, something seems to be wrong.

abc

Anyone holding back? Yes! I ALWAYS do!

I don't ski the holiday period UNLESS I have a pass.

I don't have unlimited budget. The cost of one day holiday lift ticket (and lodging, if need be) can easily equal TWO days later in the season, in which case I will have a lot more room on the slope and typically shorter lift line too.

That said, IF I have restriction that will prevent me from skiing any other time but Christmas-New Year, the above logic doesn't apply!

Also, in rare cases, when the condition during holiday period was so good, cost be damned! But usually, that's NOT the case. It's typically WROD more often than not. So I don't pay top dollar to ski the worst condition of the season. I save my money and my vacation time to ski the better part of the season.

Edd

I'm skiing Vail today. Walk up rate is $165. Conditions are certainly nice. Buying ahead of time I got a "deal" at about $135/day for 3 days.

JDMRoma

As much as possible ! Unless it's @aining I'm going. May spend more time at Zoomer bar but hey it's still skiing.

I may ski more at K this year with the express pass helping to make it affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

steamboat1

I haven't been holding back. Just about at my normal number of days for this time of year. Skiing as actually been pretty good on the days I've been out albeit on limited terrain. Even had fun on the one rainy day I was out this year.

KustyTheKlown

I'm surprised so many posters don't have some type of pass. Having my max pass is the only reason I've been able to get out so much so far, and I'd be losing my mind if I wasn't able to ski. It's mid January. I haven't had a "bad" day yet.

KustyTheKlown

But have the days been good enough to justify paying the daily rate?

aside from sugarbush this past weekend, no. but my point is that I'm surprised that the posters of this ski forum don't have more season passes or prepaid/sotc options. i plan this stuff in july so I'm ready to ski no matter what the weather throws my way. if you ski more than 10 days a year, then you should have somekind of cheap skiing arrangement. I assume everyone on this board skis >10 days.

dlague

I am usually one of the ones who "pushes" to get out and ski. But this year I have held back and haven't even skied a day yet. I work for one of the 2 major package delivery companies out there, so the Nov/Dec time is tough for me anyway (we are crushed then) and I usually can't make it out until Xmas. But I usually push to get out as soon as 12/25 comes and work slows down.

But this year, with limited terrain and expensive lift tickets, I just haven't felt the "push" to ski grabbing a hold of me yet. And I'm not a fair weather skier, I've skied ice/rocks/thin and always managed to have some degree of fun. I even skied Bradford/Nashoba as my kids were learning/growing up and didn't complain and made the most out of it. I even have new skis that I bought in March of last year waiting to get used.

For me, this year seems it may be a tipping point for me on the price. If I had a season pass or was trying to use up vouchers, I'd be out there. But paying even the discounted rates for daily tickets for a group of 4 (or more) is expensive. I'm looking at $500 (or more) for just me and my family (4 ppl) getting out for a day trip (lift tix, food, gas, etc).

Just haven't been ready to pull the trigger yet. But soon. . . (this weekend).

Well the key to getting out and getting out more is to use discounts like The Ride and Ski Card (every Sunday Waterville 2 for 1 and Saturday discounts and more) or Mountain Sports Club (several 2 for 1 Sun-Fri) to name a couple. During the summer and early spring look for season pass offerings tha fit your needs and use that on black out days. Deal hunting is not simple but it helps. Also pack lunches and drinks - we do that often but not always. My wife and I have four boys so we get it, however three are adults now and on their own.

It has not been an ideal start to the season, but there have been some good days for us like our first day in November at Waterville for $17 (average), Killington in November using 2 for 1's. Bretton Woods on Christmas ($30) was really good for the weather we have had. Early season and spring skiing are often discounted as well. Sounds like work gets in the way early season but good days can be had on the book ends of the season.

Hope you make it out soon!