• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

BAD Spring/El Nino skiing - recovery possible?

greenjay

HALF SCIENCE - HALF EXPERIENCED SKIER QUESTION:

Can VT skiing recover if the weather gets colder?

Yesterday in southern VT, Stratton skiing was TERRIBLE. Slush, bald spots, etc. ...BUT if the temperature DOES DROP, and the snow machine stuff does stay put (doubt it will actually snow), any chance the mountain can recover enough to leave us with a few more days of skiing, or is this the end?

We usually ski at Tremblant, and the base is much deeper to begin with… so even a few slushing days does not mean it's over.

Some people in VT have told us to forget Stratton because the base was too shallow all season, not enough snow, and now it's gone.

Others have said we just need some colder temps.

4aprice

I heard that after the 20th there may be some colder weather and maybe a storm for a short period. IF we were to get it here in the Pocono's (big if probably) Cliffhanger would definitely make it in to April and probably with some pretty good bumps as well. It would not surprise me if we got one more salute from winter (especially as it becomes spring).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

trackbiker

I don't think anyone will turn on the snow guns no matter what happens. Not enough people coming regardless. Stratton is not a late player. I bet their scheduled last day is Easter Sunday no how much base they had. That's the way it was a few years ago when they had new snow and plenty of base on April 4th and that was their last day.

4aprice

I don't think anyone will turn on the snow guns no matter what happens. Not enough people coming regardless. Stratton is not a late player. I bet their scheduled last day is Easter Sunday no how much base they had. That's the way it was a few years ago when they had new snow and plenty of base on April 4th and that was their last day.

Don't be so sure Track. Hoses are still hooked up on Cliffhanger and they are determined to make it to April 10th.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

trackbiker

Don't be so sure Track. Hoses are still hooked up on Cliffhanger and they are determined to make it to April 10th.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I was really referring to New England. I wouldn't be surprised if Blue or Camelback turned on the guns one more time. I've been at Blue when they blew snow the night before they closed but more for resurfacing than base building.

kartski

On Sat., Hunter was kinda holding it own over all. About 100 yards down from 5 fingers on Broadway, it looks like it could lose continuity and require a short grass ski or walk. Weather Underground calls for Freezing weather Fri. night into Sat, so they could farm some up and get it to Set. Sunday WU is saying 5 - 8 inches. It's waiting to see if it makes it through the week that will tough.

deadheadskier

Staff member
An April storm on no base is a non-starter.
Get your paddleboard out and smarten up.

Sorry you've missed out in the past.

I've had plenty of April days in my skiing lifetime where it snowed a foot plus on bare ground and lots of great terrain has opened back up. Frequent occurrence at Sugarloaf.

Reggeafest weekend a few years back 14". Ripsaw was sublime with free refills all day. 07 with the massive Patriots Day storm there as well. 5+ feet (look it up if you can't remember it)

That same year saw a big warm up in March wiping almost all natural terrain out at Sunday River from the St. Patty's storm. April Fools Day strom of 2' and it all came back. I was looking at bare ground on Flying Monkey and skiing it again just a few days later. That glade takes a ton of snow to open.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, but it has in the past and will again in the future. Maybe this is the year, maybe not.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
On Sat., Hunter was kinda holding it own over all. About 100 yards down from 5 fingers on Broadway, it looks like it could lose continuity and require a short grass ski or walk. Weather Underground calls for Freezing weather Fri. night into Sat, so they could farm some up and get it to Set. Sunday WU is saying 5 - 8 inches. It's waiting to see if it makes it through the week that will tough.

Sunday there were cracks in the "armor". They will make it this weekend, but the next is a guess. Rocks skis are recommended though!

Last edited:

Los

I've had plenty of April days in my skiing lifetime where it snowed a foot plus on bare ground and lots of great terrain has opened back up. Frequent occurrence at Sugarloaf.

Reggeafest weekend a few years back 14". Ripsaw was sublime with free refills all day. 07 with the massive Patriots Day storm there as well. 5+ feet (look it up if you can't remember it)

That same year saw a big warm up in March wiping almost all natural terrain out at Sunday River from the St. Patty's storm. April Fools Day strom of 2' and it all came back. I was looking at bare ground on Flying Monkey and skiing it again just a few days later. That glade takes a ton of snow to open.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, but it has in the past and will again in the future. Maybe this is the year, maybe not.

Wow, as pessimistic as I am, you've managed to give me a slight shred of hope DHS. Any of that happening this year would be astoundingly awesome.

jaybird

Don't much care about your heroic happy place outings.
We've all had plenty of late spring days on big snowfall.

I'm saying it won't happen here this year.
Raggae On.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, if it does deliver and you don't feel like driving up to Sugarloaf, I'm sure you'll be just fine over at K slaying Superstar and waving Richards with all the Beast Bros.

The Sneak

I was at Reggae Weekend 07 and it was EPIC pow everywhere. Everything including backside snowfields wide open. The stuff of legends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zermatt

May 1996 Mount Washington had over 100" of snow. I assume it was April 1996 (might have been 1997) where VT had some big dumps and Killington was nearly 100% open.

...But before that they had a real base. Many places have nothing now and it would be hard to see the resorts bringing back staff to re-open terrain.

It does look like weather pattern gets colder by the end of the week, fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up.

deadheadskier

Staff member
crossing my fingers we get lucky this spring at Wildcat. That's what's great about the place. No need to bring back additional staff. You can operate the whole mountain off one lift.

Even a place like Sugarloaf can operate 90% of the mountain off just the Superquad and Spillway.

The way this year has gone, we'll probably get the best storm of the season once everyone has shut down for the year. Still holding out hope though. It's only March 14th. A lot can happen yet.

darent

Big grinning optimism DHS, fingers are crossed because we are leaving for a week of skiing on friday, doing a Maine trip and ending next weekend at the Loaf