• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bear bells

bingo296

Any one have any experiences with bear bells?
Is it necessary?

Where can I get it?

Thanks.

wtcobb

Ask a bear: http://www.backpacker.com/ask_a_bear_do_bear_bells_work/blogs/1889

I thought about it myself after encountering some black bears while hiking the Shenandoahs. I'm opting for pepper spray instead. Hope for the best and plan for the worst with that, but it's a good thing to have in the event of an encounter and one of the only things you can use in the event of a charge.

Rules in MA are funny - you can't ship regular mace/pepper spray for use on self defense, but you can order bear mace that sprays up to 35ft.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Bear bells aren't needed in the northeast as far as I can tell. I've encountered bears in NH, ME, and NY and they all knew about me before I knew about them. I'm not convinced they would be effective at all with black bears. Out west they might be of interest for Grizzly country.

I've also never felt the need for bear spray in the northeast, but I can't see an objection to carrying it other than legal issues in some states.