• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best and Worst Online Snow Report

TC

MRG is the best. If it's really bad they just close.
Loon on the other hand has the worst report. You never know what is going on.

frozencorn

MRG, then Wildcat. Then Magic. Second place to everyone else.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
mountain creek is the worst. the only useable metric is the trails being open and lifts. however since i ride there all the time i know if its warm its going to be soft and cold hard. they sometime dont even talk bout the snow in the report, the talk about the most random stuff.

skiing is life

best: mount snow. theyre honest and they update at least twice a day

worst: berkshire east. they only recently put on a trail report. even then i find myself going to the resort the same day and finding trails that they claimed open where closed.

skimore

worst-Gore

They report snow for the last 7 days only. So if you didn't see it the day before you wouldn't know how much they got overnight. It will also say "Wednesday report" when it's Tuesady night........because they can't update it in the AM the next day

My one time this year.....and maybe last ever.....I went to customer service desk at 8:30am on a day when there was liitle a freezing rain in the valleys on the drive up. I asked for a conditions report and if it maybe didn't rain up top. They stated they didn't know and had no conditions report yet. The conditions report posted in the lodge were from the day before still

wtf.....your opening.......that state run place is clueless

bobbutts

worst will be Granite Gorge for having only a linked report on snowcountry
Time Of Report: 03/21/2009 10:25am Snowfall:
Season Total: 93"" Surface Conditions: Packed Powder

I was going to say Whaleback also, but found a much improved report on their site now :)
Surface Conditions: Frozen Granular Softening throughout the day.

Edd

Loon on the other hand has the worst report. You never know what is going on.

Agreed. It's a decent sized mountain and they have a non-existent snow report. I've noticed SR showing more honesty this year than before but they've also done that avoidance thing, not mentioning today before the lifts open and talking about tomorrow when the forecast is more favorable.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Most philosophical and rhetorical newsletter: BOLTON.

Examples from last week:

The Unbearable Tyranny of Endless Sunny Days.

The Sun. It won't go away. I think it's taunting me. I don't know how it is that we've managed to have sunny skies for 8 of the last 9 days, and I don't think I want to find out. I assume it involves a genie, an ancient lamp, and a horrible twist-ending that teaches us all a lesson about being careful what we wish for. That's why, any time I'm given three wishes, I always make my first wish for "no darkly ironic consequences". My second wish is always for a fist made out of lava and diamonds.

AND...

Contest: Snowfall
Despite the fact that anagrams are neither cool (even compared to other word games), nor difficult (considering that software is freely available that will solve anagrams for you), last week's anagram contest was declared a success. By me. Just now. As any decent computer or competent cyborg will tell you, "Wry ex-fool" is a jumbled version of "Lower Foxy". The, apparently, non-cyborg Ronald Caruso is this week's winner, and a free lift ticket will be sent his way. Since April is approaching at an alarming speed, the ticket vouchers for contest winners for the next few weeks will be good next season as well. Which is nice, because otherwise I was going to stop giving them out. This week's question: "What was the highest one-day total for snow accumulation measured at Bolton so far this season?" Hint: it's greater than 0", less than 100", and was fun. If you can also tell me what day it fell on, I will be terrified of you. Send me the correct answer (in inches, one hopes--though I realize that I've now provoked someone in to sending me the number in nanometers), as determined by myself and the Bolton Valley Daily Snowfall and Yeti Sightings Spreadsheet, and I'll pick a winner from the correct responses. I'll then personally arrange to have a free lift ticket hand-delivered to your mailbox by a professional USPS mail carrier. Because you deserve it .

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

Examples from last week:

The Sun. It won't go away. I think it's taunting me. I don't know how it is that we've managed to have sunny skies for 8 of the last 9 days, and I don't think I want to find out. I assume it involves a genie, an ancient lamp, and a horrible twist-ending that teaches us all a lesson about being careful what we wish for. That's why, any time I'm given three wishes, I always make my first wish for "no darkly ironic consequences". My second wish is always for a fist made out of lava and diamonds.

AND...

Despite the fact that anagrams are neither cool (even compared to other word games), nor difficult (considering that software is freely available that will solve anagrams for you), last week's anagram contest was declared a success. By me. Just now. As any decent computer or competent cyborg will tell you, "Wry ex-fool" is a jumbled version of "Lower Foxy". The, apparently, non-cyborg Ronald Caruso is this week's winner, and a free lift ticket will be sent his way. Since April is approaching at an alarming speed, the ticket vouchers for contest winners for the next few weeks will be good next season as well. Which is nice, because otherwise I was going to stop giving them out. This week's question: "What was the highest one-day total for snow accumulation measured at Bolton so far this season?" Hint: it's greater than 0", less than 100", and was fun. If you can also tell me what day it fell on, I will be terrified of you. Send me the correct answer (in inches, one hopes--though I realize that I've now provoked someone in to sending me the number in nanometers), as determined by myself and the Bolton Valley Daily Snowfall and Yeti Sightings Spreadsheet, and I'll pick a winner from the correct responses. I'll then personally arrange to have a free lift ticket hand-delivered to your mailbox by a professional USPS mail carrier. Because you deserve it .

Methinks the people at Bolton have a bit too much time on their hands.

Chesser

Examples from last week:

AND...

As a newsletter, I assume it's technically ineligible. But it's important to remember that the ski season is long, and that prolonged exposure to thin air can do things to people's minds.