• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best way to MRG from Albany NY

skiprob

Sorry if this has been posted.

It seems as if there are two choices to get to MRG...

Go to Killington and head north or go to Burlington and head south.

What is the consensus?

Thanks,
rob

kcyanks1

Sorry if this has been posted.

It seems as if there are two choices to get to MRG...

Go to Killington and head north or go to Burlington and head south.

What is the consensus?

Thanks,
rob

Going to Burlington is not a good option, IMO. Some options include:

(1) 87 to Exit 20 to Rt 128(?) to Rt 4 to Rt. 100 (by Killington) to Rt. 17
(2) 87 to Exit 20 to Rt. 128 to Rt 4 to Rt 7 to Rt 17
(3) 87 to Exit 24 to Rt. 9N to Rt. 9N/Rt 22 (same road) to Champlain Bridge at Crown Point to Vt. 17 (right over bridge)

I'd probably go with (2) to get to MRG, but would probably do (1) if I were going to Sugarbush. If weather isn't great, (1) is probably a better drive, because you avoid the worst part of the Appalachian Gap. 100 isn't the best road, but the stretch of 17 right before MRG can be tough.

kcyanks1

I like option 3..but I would take the throughway to I think exit 28 by Paradox/Schroon Lake..

I was actually wondering whether there was a good way to go up the Northway further without being too far west time-wise away from 9N. I've done option (3) from the Bolton Landing area, which would be exit 24, and there it makes no sense to go way back to the Northway.. But if you are already on it, it could be good to stay. I'd have to check a map.