• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Binding Race/Carve Plate

xwhaler

Just picked up some new bindings for the new Blizzards I got on STP this summer.
They came with a carve (lifter) plate which I'm probably going to have the shop mount unless folks on here feel strongly otherwise.
I haven't used a plate like this in 15+ yrs since HS ski team days....I think the concept at the time was get elevated a bit to help you stay forward and stand up on edge (drive through the turn)

Anyone using these? Any downside? Have heard feedback to ski is not there since u are standing on the plate, not the ski itself.

They are not an integrated lifter plate but rather an add on piece that is sandwiched between the ski and binding.
http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-Gto-15-Ski-Bindings

WWF-VT

Doesn't Highway Star use these on every pair of skis he owns? The only pair he doesn't have them on must be in his famous "backseat / nice turns " video.

Puck it

Put up a pic of the skis again? I would go with it if you want to carve mandatory GS turns!!!!!

Highway Star

Just picked up some new bindings for the new Blizzards I got on STP this summer.
They came with a carve (lifter) plate which I'm probably going to have the shop mount unless folks on here feel strongly otherwise.
I haven't used a plate like this in 15+ yrs since HS ski team days....I think the concept at the time was get elevated a bit to help you stay forward and stand up on edge (drive through the turn)

Anyone using these? Any downside? Have heard feedback to ski is not there since u are standing on the plate, not the ski itself.

They are not an integrated lifter plate but rather an add on piece that is sandwiched between the ski and binding.
http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-Gto-15-Ski-Bindings

You need way more lifter than that:

IMG_9112sm.jpg

Highway Star

Would be for these skis which are my new hardpack exclusive ski---yes to make high speed GS turns!
I know I would not want lift on an all mtn ski but there may be benefit on this ski.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/blizzard-2013and2014-magnum-80-ti-alpine-skis~p~7289k/

It will be a nice setup with those Head bindings. A 10mm bolt through lifter is not a big deal, and won't have much impact on snow feel. It will make the ski easier to hold on edge, but slightly less quick to get on edge. It will also make it slightly harder to skid the ski. The beefyness of that binding will also make them ski like a bigger ski.

Last edited: