• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Hills Season Pass... A good investment?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If I lived 10 minutes from Blue Hills, I'd probably go buy telemark gear. I'd spend a bunch of midweek nights learning how to do that. I might even take up snowboarding. I'd go out of my mind free skiing there on alpine gear unless I were doing something structured like teaching or running gates.

This is exactly what I'm going to do next year down here in Jersey. I'm looking to pick up some telemark gear and do that down here, and then switch back to alpine for my trips up north. It'll open up the whole mountain, because now I ski the same 3 black diamonds and it's pretty boring.

shpride

I guess I am in the minority here that when skiing small hills I am just happy to be making turns, and don't usually get bored. I have friends who get bored quickly too when it comes to smaller areas, so I see where everyone is coming from.

As a 2 year season pass holder at Blue Hills I couldn't be happier with the place. I was like you in that I moved to the area, and decided to get a pass. I work in Quincy and live in Raynham so the 5 minute detour to get there after work was no problem. I don't use it for day trips, but for an hour or two after work I couldn't ask for more. I decided to get the pass when I heard Campgaw's management took over. They do a great job of blowing snow, and have made some of the biggest whales I have seen anywhere. If the conditions are something you are worried about then I think the management does as well of a job as they possibly can. Of course mother nature does play her tricks, but nobody can help that.

If you get bored easy with terrain I don't believe Blue Hills is the place to get a pass. They only have two ways down from the top at nights. If you are just happy to make turns whenever possible then it is a good idea. I think my skiing has improved greatly in the past 2 years due to getting out 40 days a year instead of 15 days a year.

FYI - I think they are closed until Thursday due to less business (ski Ward already closed for the season probably because of this), and not because of the lack of snow. Big Blue had a big base still as of Sat with the terrain park to push around if need be.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I guess I am in the minority here that when skiing small hills I am just happy to be making turns, and don't usually get bored. I have friends who get bored quickly too when it comes to smaller areas, so I see where everyone is coming from.

As a 2 year season pass holder at Blue Hills I couldn't be happier with the place. I was like you in that I moved to the area, and decided to get a pass. I work in Quincy and live in Raynham so the 5 minute detour to get there after work was no problem. I don't use it for day trips, but for an hour or two after work I couldn't ask for more. I decided to get the pass when I heard Campgaw's management took over. They do a great job of blowing snow, and have made some of the biggest whales I have seen anywhere. If the conditions are something you are worried about then I think the management does as well of a job as they possibly can. Of course mother nature does play her tricks, but nobody can help that.

If you get bored easy with terrain I don't believe Blue Hills is the place to get a pass. They only have two ways down from the top at nights. If you are just happy to make turns whenever possible then it is a good idea. I think my skiing has improved greatly in the past 2 years due to getting out 40 days a year instead of 15 days a year.

FYI - I think they are closed until Thursday due to less business (ski Ward already closed for the season probably because of this), and not because of the lack of snow. Big Blue had a big base still as of Sat with the terrain park to push around if need be.

I think you make a great point. If you're going to be using the pass mainly after work during the week, then a few different trails are plenty to satisfy the need to get a few turns in. I think we're talking about an entirely different animal if you're looking to ski for 4-5 hours during the weekend.

Speaking from personal experience, I loved my home mountain when I went during the week after work. Unfortunately, the majority of my trips there were on the weekends when it was more crowded and I was looking for greater variety.

The Sneak

I have a Wa silver century pass ($259 via GPS club) and I will get close to 20 visits there this season. I live in far southern coastal RI, so I don't want to hear it from any of you in the 508/617/978...

:beer:

In fact, looks like I'm going up solo in a couple of hours...

ERJ-145CA

I'm with you, I think it's great that I have two places within 15 minutes of my house. Mountain Creek (~1000' vert.) is a lot bigger than Hidden Valley (~670' vert) but I got a pass at HV the last couple of years and never really get bored even though I've skiied there a couple dozen times this season, I'm just happy to be skiing.

shpride

I'm with you, I think it's great that I have two places within 15 minutes of my house. Mountain Creek (~1000' vert.) is a lot bigger than Hidden Valley (~670' vert) but I got a pass at HV the last couple of years and never really get bored even though I've skiied there a couple dozen times this season, I'm just happy to be skiing.

Maybe it is how you started skiing. I spent most of my early years skiing having a blast at Mt. Tom, so maybe this carries over until now with my enjoyment of smaller areas.

hammer

+1

I'm much closer to Nashoba (~20 minutes), but at this point I wouldn't consider a night pass there even if it was only $200 for the season. Not saying anything bad about the place, but <250 feet vertical would only keep me interested for about an hour.
Actually, now that I think of it, I'd consider a night pass if it were $200...I think I'd get enough skiing to make it worthwhile. Only problem is that Nashoba's night pass is twice as much. :-x