• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bolton Valley during Mass vacation week

Edd

This weekend starts the dreaded Mass vacation week, which I normally avoid, but I’d like to ski something next Wednesday and Thursday. Anyone familiar with how hard Bolton gets hit during this week? I’d think it would be a safer bet, but I’ve only skied there one day ever.

kbroderick

This weekend starts the dreaded Mass vacation week, which I normally avoid, but I’d like to ski something next Wednesday and Thursday. Anyone familiar with how hard Bolton gets hit during this week? I’d think it would be a safer bet, but I’ve only skied there one day ever.
If you're looking to avoid crowds, Bolton is usually amongst the best bets.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How's it been?

Groomers only and very low tide on the natural terrain the past two days. Needs a foot or so to be good again I'd say.

Not sure why but they had snowmaking piles plenty big enough to groom out the lower Timberline lift line. Having that available would have been nice

Keelhauled

They only pulled the equipment off yesterday morning. I think the hope was to have enough snow down before the last thaw and push it out when it got cold, but they had to go back to it Friday/Saturday night.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Overall I thought Bolton was okay given the weather. It had been about 7 years since I last was there and it feels like it's trending in the right direction. But still a bit shy on the snowmaking to really start pulling in more locals from Stowe and Sugarbush. If they could reliably add just a bit more than what they had covered,( a run from Wilderness and a couple more on Timberline) it really would be a more compelling product even during bad winters. Often doesn't matter as they do great with natural snow, but that obviously doesn't always happen for us in the East. Fun place. Great vibe

Kingslug20

I might get the mid week pass for 300.00...that's a pretty good deal. Tough winter now though. It's only 30 minutes from my house and was pretty good when I went there a few times last month. The 39.00 Monday deal can't be beat as well. But 950.00 for a full season pass us a tough sell with epic and icon around the same price.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Those are tough prices. The local blackout price is pretty reasonable, especially for kids.

But having access during busy holiday periods is kinda the point

tumbler

They pulled some SB folk that left SB when Egan was let go.

TyWebb

I was there with my son Sat and Sun - Wilderness Peak/Lift closed and still not terrible at all ie crowds. Sunday was more crowded thn Sat as vacationers come in but still not a problem IMO. Timberline quad was ski on the entire weekend and I think the most we waited on the Vista Quad was 10 minutes on Sunday so we did the single line from 11-2PM. 1st time there - loved the small mountain vibe and think the place would be a blast with fresh snow/better conditions

Loving these Indy Pass locations compared to Epic last year

TyWebb

Not sure why but they had snowmaking piles plenty big enough to groom out the lower Timberline lift line. Having that available would have been nice

They were blowing the snow all day Sat and my son and I were excited to ski it on Sunday but they never groomed it out - guess they were saving it for the week

Kingslug20

My first time there Dec 25 I thought it would be boring..until I discovered how much snow was lying around...then a few rope drops.
Hell of a day.very impressed. I came back January 22..again impressed but some areas where pretty frozen. Vista glades where great..my wife was pretty scared though..lots of rocks and drops...my kind of run.
Hopefully March delivers..I want to go back.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They were blowing the snow all day Sat and my son and I were excited to ski it on Sunday but they never groomed it out - guess they were saving it for the week

Must have been too warm on Sunday night to groom it out. I don't think it dipped below freezing. It was in the 40s when we arrived Monday morning.

Just seemed like a missed opportunity to show well during the holiday weekend to likely many people who haven't been there before.. Met a ton of Indy Pass holders the two days there. It is showing that it's groomed out for today though. Having that trail and another from the Mid Station on Timberline would really help add some variety to their groomed terrain offering and syphon traffic from the Vista chair