• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

bolton valley, vt: 10/23/05

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
dare i say... first AZ trip report of the 05-06 season?

i have been saying (mostly as a joke mind you) since early september that first skiable snow around these parts would be october 23rd. i even went out on the limb and claimed i'd be skiing today. i never really believed it very much, figured there was an outside shot but really... october 23rd? skiing on natural snow? c'mon...

after browsing the reports this morning, everything seemed pretty uniform up the central greens. it was either going to be kmart, mrg, or bolton. i decided on bolton since it was closest at only 1.15 hours and had confirmed pictures of up to 6" whereas mrg's base cam wasn't showing too much. in hind sight, the extra 45 min drive to kmart would have been worth it, but no use second guessing myself now :D

pulled off i89 into the town of bolton with ZERO snow on the ground. had me nurvous. temp was on the rise and it was sprinkling. drove up what is arguably the steepest access road in new england and every 100 vertical feet saw more and more snow till i reached the upper base lodge sporting 2-3" of the white stuff and a light sprinkle.

work on the quad is on going, looks like these guys are unfortunately quite behind. no towers yet but the base station had been built. A LOT of construction on going and the construction tred groves made for some 'interesting' skinning in places.

skins were already on, so i booted up, clicked in, and started heading up. headed up the lower double's lift line before traversing around a meandering green circle to the summit. met up with another fellow on tele for the last half of the skin which was cool.

sure was nice being out in all that snow! the summit had about 5-6" of wet wet wet snow. the type that sticks to skins and won't let go if you stop moving. we took a brief rest inside the hut at the top, changed over to downhill mode, and crossed our fingers.

turns were... well, there frankly wasn't much for turns. we scraped bottom on a black diamond pitched run a few times and decided to head back down the way we came on something flatter. we alternated between picking up speed in the skin track and slowing down in the cement like snow. good cover until the last third of the mountain which had warmed significantly since we started up. some melting which kept things interestings.

any ways... as the saying goes, it's about the tour not the turns. so we had a blast. freaking skiing in october, how could we not?!?!?! it had only been 113 since my last day on skis, but it surely felt longer than that! broke in new g-ride boots and noticed the boots created a really different ramp angle which had me way in the back seat. gotta look into the custom fix on that issue this week, i believe i've read about it before on either colouir or tgr forums.

any ways, i may be out and about later this week if burke or the outting club picks up some snow. a few 3pm turns are always in order when ever possible.
:beer:

pics to follow!

bvibert

Staff member
Sweet! I'm glad you made it out, thanks for the TR... Now get those pics posted up! ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Awesome pics and report, riv. Bolton is a nice place...like Burke, I wonder how the construction is going considering all of the rain and now the snow.

And who is the 'we' who skied?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
some random guy on tele gear i met halfway up. always cool to share some turns with new folks. i figured i was gonna have the mountain to myself, but the more the merrier!

after seeing bolton today, i am kinda worried for them getting that thing going on time. looks like they have a ways to go still, burke had better progress a month ago. surprised at how mellow burke was, even the black diamond pitches were pretty gentle. looks like an AWESOME place for a family that wants to spend a few days slope side with nice rolling trails with character and no crowds from the looks of the place. i've heard they offer some really nice glades for experts.

the base area had a few stacks of trees piled up about a story and a half high. they cut a lot of wood opening up those new trails! looks like it will be an exciting year for bolton!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nothing a stick of wax can't fix, no base damage.

who cares any ways? they are only a pair of skis. their value pale in comparison to a great experience.

Greg

Staff member
You're hard core, Steve! Well done! Soooo. I guess a "Welcome to the 2005-06 ski season" is appropriate!

BeanoNYC

Greg said:
You're hard core, Steve! Well done! Soooo. I guess a "Welcome to the 2005-06 ski season" is appropriate!

Super! I can't wait to get out there. I think the ski rack is going up next weekend! :idea:

ThinkSnow

Glad to hear someone, somewhere is getting some!

Great pics & report! For another small yet interesting mountain, try Black Mountain in Jackson, NH.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
riverc0il said:
some random guy on tele gear i met halfway up. always cool to share some turns with new folks. i figured i was gonna have the mountain to myself, but the more the merrier!

after seeing bolton today, i am kinda worried for them getting that thing going on time. looks like they have a ways to go still, burke had better progress a month ago. surprised at how mellow burke was, even the black diamond pitches were pretty gentle. looks like an AWESOME place for a family that wants to spend a few days slope side with nice rolling trails with character and no crowds from the looks of the place. i've heard they offer some really nice glades for experts.

the base area had a few stacks of trees piled up about a story and a half high. they cut a lot of wood opening up those new trails! looks like it will be an exciting year for bolton!

It really is a great place for mid level family. Took my brood of five (including 2 teens and a 9-YO) there last year. The place was hoppin with daytrippin families from Burlington. The lodge is pretty tight, but the people were all so down to earth and friendly that it made up for the tight seating. The Mt. has room enough for everyone. And things are simply so inexpensive compared to the Bush or Stowe. It feels very, very retro. With a young family, it can be stress city, so this place compensated. Besides e-coli burgers and tickets are nearly half the price of the same at Stowe (with discounts). If I want to ski Mansfield,I'll go with my buds. It's a fair quid-pro-quo.

Forget about a bar scene or babes and guys - not happening here. The place really closes up when the lifts close.