• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain Outing: 2006-2007 Season

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, going to throw this in here to begin organizing an outing or outing(s). I'm always available for more personal trips...just PM.

For me, the best times to ski here will be Christmas Week and the first week of January, the latter being historically quite good. I will also be here in the first week of March.

Weekends, if I know in advance, are also good.

I will also say that the last weekend of January has been the Season Pass Holder weekend and if we have enough of us passholders, all guests ski with us for half-price, so that may be something to consider....

They have also historically run these promos:

$15 half day Sundays in January and March.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh, and people that I know are interested include:

• Greg
    bvibert
    Andy Zee
    madskier6
    roark
    riverc0il
    from_the_NEK
    the_original_trailboss (?)
    RIDEr
    Chilemass (someday...)

And others......do join in the discussion/planning.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Christmas week may workout good for me. I'm planning on taking a vacation that week. If I do, most likely I'll be in VT. The only way there may be a change in plans is if Utah, gets dumped on and I get cheap airline tickets for that week. But then again, does Santa really exist, stay tuned.........

thetrailboss

Staff member
andyzee said:
Christmas week may workout good for me. I'm planning on taking a vacation that week. If I do, most likely I'll be in VT. The only way there may be a change in plans is if Utah, gets dumped on and I get cheap airline tickets for that week. But then again, does Santa really exist, stay tuned.........

That week, I plan on skiing there almost daily. At least at this point. :idea: There is a chance that I may have to go see the inlaws in MA, but I will be keen on getting back to the Kingdom and skiing!

Big downside: holiday rates will be in effect. So, we're talking over $50 a day. But if you want to escape crowds, this is an option....

roark

Xmas week is good for me since I'll be blacked out @ ASC (and wouldn't want to be there anyway). Don't mind paying more for a better experience (and with a free tour guide it's a steal!)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i strongly advise against xmas weekend. late january maybe. strong recommendation for february or march. reasons for my recommendation include lack of trail availablity during december due to lack of snow making (last season did not indicate ginn was going to step up snow making ASAP, i doubt this year will prove different) and natural snow trails will more than likely not be open in december, especially the woods and trails like dougs, ledges, east bowl, etc. if you are going to try burke for the first time, i strongly suggest seeing burke at its best. i personally think it would be a shame for anyone interested in skiing burke's natural terrain to make the gathering in december. just my two cents though.

roark

Good points riv. It is awfully early to be firming up any dates. Never too early to start tihinking about it though!

Greg

Staff member
I might be down for Christmas week, but my daughter may be in ski camp that week so I'm not sure. I'd be in for any weekday Burke gathering. A Friday would be best for me. I'd probably head up late Thursday and crash somewhere.

madskier6

I know we're only at the discussion stage right now but Christmas week at Burke is NOT good for me. I'll be taking the family to Whiteface and Lake Placid that week.

Later in January/Feb would work better for me FWIW. I also like Riverc0il's advice about skiing it later in the year (late Feb/March) when the woods (and other areas of the mountain) will be in better shape.

thetrailboss

Staff member
madskier6 said:
I know we're only at the discussion stage right now but Christmas week at Burke is NOT good for me. I'll be taking the family to Whiteface and Lake Placid that week.

Yes, this was just one idea...

Later in January/Feb would work better for me FWIW. I also like Riverc0il's advice about skiing it later in the year (late Feb/March) when the woods (and other areas of the mountain) will be in better shape.

Having snow in the woods...sounds good...knock on wood. :wink:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Percentages say that later is better (agreeing with Riv). I will be around Burke most weekends and holidays. Very few weekdays unless I make specific plans to take a day off from work. So if anyone has a hankering to hit Burke I will most likely be there.
A good natural snow pack ensures that some of the "special terrain" may be available for inclusion in the tour ;-)

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Might be able to make it, though not during Christmas week. I'd vote for a weekday, myself, though I know that's tough for most people. Never skied Burke before, so I could use the guided tour!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Weekdays for me are limited to:

Christmas week, first week of January, first half of second week of January.
Second week of March.

MLK Day.

Sky

I'd like to get to Burke with the AZ crowd. 1st, ID race night @ Wa. Last year it was Wed. Probably will be this year as well...but I won;t know till the team gathers to discuss.

I can't believe I'm planning ski trips in frickin August.

madskier6

My vote would be for either Friday 3/9 or Saturday 3/10 at Burke. I'm being selfish by suggesting those dates because members of the CT Ski Council get to ski Burke either of those days for only $26. Objectively speaking, that would be late enough in the year for there to be a good base plus sufficient snow in the woods for good ski conditions.

Does those dates work for most people? Even if that weekend doesn't end up being the AZ Burke Outing, I'll probably still be at Burke that weekend anyhow.