• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cancelling reservations

abc

I'm sure your fellow skiers that would be unable to get a sold out date at the last minute when they try would appreciate your attitude. But good for you that you'll be able to "stick it to Vail" by not cancelling should they tell you they're treated exactly the same as no-shows.
Tough! Vail make the rules my "fellow skiers" will need to live by. Even more so for those who see nothing wrong in the way Vail do things.

Cancellation = no-show = no need to cancel.

That's how "I interpreted"!

Right from the start I interpreted that to included repeated cancellations that represented a pattern of abuse and not simply no-shows.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Golfing doesn't have this problem. Most courses have an online booking system that you need to give them your credit card. If the group is a no show, golf courses would charge either full pop or $25 per golfers for no shows. Very, very few no shows in golf.
Ya this. Hit them in the wallet and the no shows go way down.

Jersey Skier

Just received this in an email from Hunter. Not sure if the two paragraphs really say the same thing.

We realize that life can sometimes sneak up on you, so don’t worry if you need to cancel your reservation. As long as you do so before 12 a.m. on your planned ski and ride day, then you can rebook immediately. The mountain will be here for you, and we look forward to you seeing you on the mountain!​
Cancellation Policy
Our goal is to accommodate everyone who wants to ski and ride at our mountains this season. To make that happen, we need your help. As a pass holder, you should only book week-of reservations for days that you plan to use. We understand plans change, but if you repeatedly miss or cancel a week-of reservations (or Priority Reservation Days booked within two weeks of the reservation date), you may lose the privilege to make reservations in advanced, for a period of time. This season we’re all in this together. Thank you for understanding.​

Jersey Skier

They're clearly NOT the same.

On the first one, you're ENCORAGED to book AND cancel. On the second one, you're DISCORAGED to book in the first place, and NO INCENTIVE to cancel.

I have every Wednesday reserved at Hunter for 7 weeks. Planned on cancelling the night before if I need to. Will cancel tonight and might ski Thursday this week since there is no reason to beat the storm to the mountain.

abc

Should this go under VAIL SUCKS thread or Cancelling Reservation?

Another Vail lies that is contradicted by actual experience:

“After dropping my days in Feb, and only having 3 reserved days listed on my account, I'm unable to book Dec 25-27 because I have exceeded my reservation limit.

It's been like this for about an hour and I've tried logging in and out.
I think I'll wait some more and try again tomorrow as I'm not too keen to wait on the phone for hours.

***Edit: I'm impatient...took a few hours but works fine now.“

According to Vail on cancelling a Priority Day: “you can immediately use it to reserve another day“ — bullshit!

(I experienced similar issues, though it took me more like 15 min wait. Still, nothing immediate about it!!!)

Fact being, to "work" the Vail reservation system, you need to have endless time to camp in front of the computer and keep hitting the refresh button like a monkey!

Last edited:

abc

Because if they do, rule lawyers like yourself, will immediately begin to game the system.
Although I'm not a lawyer. I applaud their effort in "gaming" every laws and contracts for completeness and fairness. It's their job.

Without the adversarial role lawyers play, corporations and "power players" have a much freer hands in "playing" the public.

Disclaimer: my one time partner was a judge. It's his job to let the lawyers from both side to rip into each other as best as they can!

Last edited:

Smellytele

Although I'm not a lawyer. I applaud their effort in "gaming" every laws and contracts for completeness and fairness. It's their job.

Without the adversarial role lawyers play, corporations and "power players" have a much freer hands in "playing" the public.

Disclaimer: my one time partner was a judge.
Yes like class action suits where they make all the money and the signed on complainants make very little.

abc

Yes like class action suits where they make all the money and the signed on complainants make very little.
So you prefer the corporation continue to take advantage of the public then? Just so the lawyers don't get most of the money and the complainants get zero...