• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift Overkill!

drjeff

re: mount snow
It's been awhile since I've been there, but somehow I doubt that they managed the clusterf on Long John.

They've tried. Off the top of my head, let's see they've widened some of it, blasted away some other parts of it, tried use of multiple "speed control gates", tried at various times positioning literally 25+ ambassadors with 1 every 100 feet or so to try and slow folks speeding from the summit down to Carinthia, placed a bunch of portable slow signs, etc, etc, etc.

But the reality is, as many of us Mount Snow regulars will whole heartedly agree, that Long John on a weekend after the "crack o' 10AM" weekend warrior crew hits the mountain is the most "challenging" run at Mount Snow, and probably top 10 in New England ;)

I kind of look it at like trying drive over say the George Washington Bridge. It get's you from one popular place to another. When there's no traffic on it it's actually a nice ride with some great views, but the vast majority of the time it's a jam packed nightmare :eek:

steamboat1

~50' of snow per season at the top of the lifts at Snowbird kind of softens the blow
Yes but your average skier (which is most skiers) takes Chips Run off the summit. If you've ever skied there you know that Chips is just a narrow windy path off the top. Be interesting to see how that works out.

C-Rex

This is what I love about Smuggs. Sure, you might have to wait in line for a bit and then endure a fairly long ride to the top. But at least you don't have to spend your whole run dodging people. It's the big plus for having nothing but slow doubles. I'd rather get 10-12 runs per day where I have the trails more or less to myself than get in 20 runs a day with a crowd. Quality beats quantity every time.

steamboat1

This is what I love about Smuggs. Sure, you might have to wait in line for a bit and then endure a fairly long ride to the top. But at least you don't have to spend your whole run dodging people. It's the big plus for having nothing but slow doubles. I'd rather get 10-12 runs per day where I have the trails more or less to myself than get in 20 runs a day with a crowd. Quality beats quantity every time.
I agree with you. Same could be said for MRG or Castle Rock & Heavens gate at Sugarbush. When a trail is crowded I don't feel like I'm skiing. I feel like I'm just dodging other skiers. Saddleback would be another example, I'm sure there are others.