• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Comments/Criticisms of my first ski edit?

falera97

What's going on everyone,

Admins, if this is spamming, please delete it from the forum since I don't wanna be that guy that spams everywhere. Anyways, I made my first mini ski edit with footage from Laax, Switzerland that I found on Youtube from a contest channel. Basically, I'm just asking for some of you to watch it and please give me feedback on this thread with comments/criticisms for it. It would honestly help me out a lot since I'm starting to edit a lot more. The edit is really short, like less than a minute, so it doesn't take very long to comment on it either.

Also, if anyone else has footage or clips that I could edit (preferably snowboarding), please let me know. I'll give full credit and everything!

Watch in HD---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSLBoabdxE

Thanks guys!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I watched exactly 3 seconds of that. Pretty lame to poach someone else's footage, rearrange it and claim it as your own :roll:. You even admit to not being able to crop out the "Cliphive.net" logo on the bottom. My suggestion is to get your own camera and film some of you own footage, or get some friends that can put a bunch of stuff on film and then you edit it.

falera97

I watched exactly 3 seconds of that. Pretty lame to poach someone else's footage, rearrange it and claim it as your own :roll:. You even admit to not being able to crop out the "Cliphive.net" logo on the bottom. My suggestion is to get your own camera and film some of you own footage, or get some friends that can put a bunch of stuff on film and then you edit it.

Read the description before you make a comment like that. Clip Hive is a channel where everyone can use the clips as long as they give credit, which I did. If you go on the footage video on their channel, you can see a comment where someone asks Clip Hive if they can use the footage and still give credit. The dude said yes cause the footage was for a contest but the contest is over so everyone can use it now.

falera97

That is pretty ridiculous. Why?

Why what? The footage isn't my own. I said that in the description of the youtube video. I got the clips from a channel called Clip Hive, where all editors are allowed to use footage from other riders as long as they give credit. This footage was for a contest, but since the contest is over, everyone is allowed to use the clips as long as they give credit. READ THE DESCRIPTION EVERYONE...I GIVE CREDIT TO THE RIDER.

MadMadWorld

Why what? The footage isn't my own. I said that in the description of the youtube video. I got the clips from a channel called Clip Hive, where all editors are allowed to use footage from other riders as long as they give credit. This footage was for a contest, but since the contest is over, everyone is allowed to use the clips as long as they give credit. READ THE DESCRIPTION EVERYONE...I GIVE CREDIT TO THE RIDER.

Well you duplicated your posts in both this section and the Misc section of the forums. Not to mention these were your only posts in this forums ever. Oh yea and you posted the same video in 3 other forums across the interwebs! Here is some constructive criticism for you....spamming ski forums isn't going to help your YouTube views so you can win a contest. Making a decent edit of a video might though! Amateur

falera97

Well you duplicated your posts in both this section and the Misc section of the forums. Not to mention these were your only posts in this forums ever. Oh yea and you posted the same video in 3 other forums across the interwebs! Here is some constructive criticism for you....spamming ski forums isn't going to help your YouTube views so you can win a contest. Making a decent edit of a video might though! Amateur

for one, im not trying to win a contest. all i wanted was feedback on the edit, which is the only thing i asked for. i honestly don't care about views, since i can't make money on any views or anything because i have no subscribers so what's the point? the point is that I'm starting to edit my friends videos and even videos of random guys who are asking me to..all i wanted was feedback which is why i posted it on forums. for the most part, i got constructive criticism, even from some experts, not some random dude calling me an amateur. Grow up.

MadMadWorld

for one, im not trying to win a contest. all i wanted was feedback on the edit, which is the only thing i asked for. i honestly don't care about views, since i can't make money on any views or anything because i have no subscribers so what's the point? the point is that I'm starting to edit my friends videos and even videos of random guys who are asking me to..all i wanted was feedback which is why i posted it on forums. for the most part, i got constructive criticism, even from some experts, not some random dude calling me an amateur. Grow up.

Well that's good because you would not have won! Your post on ES got taken down as it should here.

falera97

i think that is the problem. most here are skiers, not editors. a lot of critics here but probably not the kind you seek.

true dude. this one guy keeps hating on this thread. thanks man. on another forum i got really good feedback and constructive criticism but nothing here. how do u delete a thread?

that edit was awesome, bro...don't sweat these fools

6a00d8341bf6e653ef0147e3d08701970b-800wi

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
OK. I looked at the clip. I don't see anything unique or creative about it. It just looks like another set of generic boarder tricks from any time and any place. I've watched hundreds of hours of ski and board flicks and frankly, the extreme skier/boarder ones all look alike. I like flicks that tell a story.

Maybe if you explained your objective I might have something to say.

I'll leave propriety to those before me to debate.

falera97

OK. I looked at the clip. I don't see anything unique or creative about it. It just looks like another set of generic boarder tricks from any time and any place. I've watched hundreds of hours of ski and board flicks and frankly, the extreme skier/boarder ones all look alike. I like flicks that tell a story.

Maybe if you explained your objective I might have something to say.

I'll leave propriety to those before me to debate.

If you're talking about my edit, I was just aiming for a chill edit of a few skiing tricks that some guy gave me. haha sorry if my objective isn't really clear but I understand what you're saying. A lot of snowboard and ski films today all seem the same. Thanks for the reply :D

falera97

So if you took the original video from the cliphive.net channel on YouTube then how would you know the guy's Vimeo account?

omg...there's rules that cliphive posted that you needed to download for the contest. in the download there was a document with the guy's vimeo account that you had to post in your description, which I did. I didn't put this in for the contest but I gave all the credit where it was needed

skiNEwhere

Wow.....a lot of hate and discontent spewing out in this thread, sounds like people were expecting warren miller caliber editing. From strictly an editing standpoint, I think it looks great man, although the .5 seconds or so of black screen between scenes is a little distracting.

Did you speed up and slow down the individual clips, or were the clips already like that?

Bobt2ski

I enjoyed your edit!!! It was relaxing and nice to watch!!!! Must of been fun to do and showed your creativeness on editing. Good going!!!!